17 Game Schedule - where and who?

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yep and Neither team is the home or away team.
Places like Portland, Birmingham, Memphis and San Antonio...as examples...should get chances to host games.

That would also barometer the viability of expansion.

Remember, they desperately wanted to have a team in London until actual sense trumped greed.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
So, sports fans, the NFL is progressing to a 17 game schedule. As this is still being hashed out by the NFL, it opens the door for much speculation about the eventual details.

The 17th game would be an odd numbered game. Under the current scheduling procedures, this results in half the teams being the hosting team for nine games and the other half as the visiting team for nine games - most likely in alternating years, to keep it fair.

Also, what determines the opponents in the the odd numbered game? The current scheduling practice:
Six games against divisional opponents — two games per team, one at home and one on the road.
Four games against teams from a division within its conference — two games at home and two on the road.
Four games against teams from a division in the other conference— two games at home and two on the road.
Two games against teams from the two remaining divisions in its own conference — one game at home and one on the road. Match ups are based on division ranking from the previous season.

Does the NFL add another inter-conference game or an intra-conference game? Or some other choice?

As has been discussed on many sports news sites, the possibility exists that the NFL might schedule more international games and perhaps neutral site games within the US.

I could also see more teams being added to the mix. Which cities would be added?

How do you see the makeup of the odd numbered games?

I don’t understand it. I thought the league cared most about player safety, yet this? There is so much wrong with football now that they would be advised to improve the quality of the current 16 game schedule before launching into this clear money grab.

jrumann59

Reaction score
My guess is its inter conference game with opponent that finished the same spot in their division as you. So next year 5 games against AFC teams, 4 against whatever next years AFC division is, and one say against Denver

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
This is actually a great idea imo. Maybe even dedicate a week for “regional rival” games. Similar to what baseball used to do when they dedicated a certain section of the season to interleague games. Then you could even rotate home and away games every year.
That's a great idea too