1985 Bears 46

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Love this defense. Constant pressure and press coverage. Maybe the best defense I've ever seen.

1985 SuperBowl Champion Chicago Bears

DE Richard Dent.
DE Dan Hampton
DT Steve McMichael
DT Fridge Perry
OLB Wil Marshal
OLB Otis Wilson
MLB MikeSingletary
CB Leslie Frazier
CB Mike Richardson
SS Dave Duerson
FS Gary Fencik

200? Dallas Cowboys

DE Greg Ellis
DE Marcus Spears/Chris Canty
DT LaRoi Glover
DT Jason Ferguson
OLB Demarcus Ware
OLB Kevin Burnett
MLB Dat Nguyen
CB Terrance Newman
CB Anthoney Henry
SS Roy Lee Williams
FS Pete Hunter

Not saying our group is as good as the 85 bears but I am saying that I see simularities in talent.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
If everyone lives up to expectations you may be correct ABQ. There is no reason whatsoever for not getting good pressure on the QB this season. Well...... I can think of one but I'll keep it to myself for now.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
If everyone lives up to expectations you may be correct ABQ. There is no reason whatsoever for not getting good pressure on the QB this season. Well...... I can think of one but I'll keep it to myself for now.

At first glance, you look at this comparison and you think, ABQ has gone over the edge.

If you look at there overall abilities, there actually very simular. Ellis for Dent is the only questionable one IMO. Having said that, I have a sneaking suspicion about Thornton. I think he might turn into something on the edge.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
At first glance, you look at this comparison and you think, ABQ has gone over the edge.

If you look at there overall abilities, there actually very simular. Ellis for Dent is the only questionable one IMO. Having said that, I have a sneaking suspicion about Thornton. I think he might turn into something on the edge.

I concur about Thornton. I also think your comparison to the 85 Bears D has credence.

Instead of you going over the edge I finally see size and speed rushing the QB from the edge of our D......something we have been lacking for far too long. ;)

ravidubey

Reaction score
The Bear DL was better than the sum of its component parts. They played very well together and managed to take advantage of the chaos the defensive scheme provided. I could see our DL approaching theirs one day, but DL's don't play all by themselves.

The 85 Bears were IMO unquestionably the best front seven ever to play together. Not a single player was a slacker. It's the linebackers that blow this comparison up.

Otis Wilson had a running tally of the QB he'd knocked out of games. Wilbur Marshall was an unchained beast and ultimately signed away by Washington for two #1 draft picks. Mike Singletary was one of the best MLB's of all time. To even mention our pathetic linebacking corps in the same post at this point is laughable-- no disrespect intended-- potential or no.

Joe Gibbs ended their parade, which in of itself was remarkable, by max-protecting agains the front seven and exposing the weak coverage of the defensive backs and the out of position Gary Fencik. Too bad for Chicago that front sevens don't play by themselves either ;).

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
You owe the Bears an apology. Even Glover would have been warming the bench on that team.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
I concur about Thornton. I also think your comparison to the 85 Bears D has credence.

Instead of you going over the edge I finally see size and speed rushing the QB from the edge of our D......something we have been lacking for far too long. ;)

Come on CB. We know neither you or I can see more than a few feet away from us. And less at night. You're just always optimistic.

I was beginning to worry about you. When you don't post for a few days I start to thinking maybe you passed on u ole fart.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
This D is miles away from the Dallas 92/93 D, let alone the 85 Bears team. Baby steps, guys.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
ravidubey said:
The Bear DL was better than the sum of its component parts. They played very well together and managed to take advantage of the chaos the defensive scheme provided. I could see our DL approaching theirs one day, but DL's don't play all by themselves.

The 85 Bears were IMO unquestionably the best front seven ever to play together. Not a single player was a slacker. It's the linebackers that blow this comparison up.

Otis Wilson had a running tally of the QB he'd knocked out of games. Wilbur Marshall was an unchained beast and ultimately signed away by Washington for two #1 draft picks. Mike Singletary was one of the best MLB's of all time. To even mention our pathetic linebacking corps in the same post at this point is laughable-- no disrespect intended-- potential or no.

Joe Gibbs ended their parade, which in of itself was remarkable, by max-protecting agains the front seven and exposing the weak coverage of the defensive backs and the out of position Gary Fencik. Too bad
for Chicago that front sevens don't play by themselves either ;).
Good post and I agree... Except that I think you have to give the DL guys as much credit as the linebackers. Perry is the only pedestrian type there... The other three were absolutely dominant players. What an amazing defense that was.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only thing resembling the two defenses is that we are going to run a 3-4 quite often it appears and the Bears 46 was like a 3-4... or as someone on this board has tried making everyone believe anyhow. :D

burmafrd

Reaction score
Glover would have matched up well with McMichael- I think that was a pickem.
Gotta agree that our LB's are nowhere near as good. BUT our secondary is much better as it is now. IF our young guys live up to their potential then we could be close in talent- but that defense was in the right place at the right time and dominated the whole NFL= but the scheme was soon beaten. Once the scheme was beaten, they were never as dominant again. The weakness of the secondary was exposed for all to
see. Perry was very over rated as a D llineman. I think Ferguson could have been as effective. Ellis is probably equal to Hampton. We have no Dent right now. Ware COULD maybe get close to Marshall. Dat is a tough guy who makes plays, but no Singletary. Burnett COULD be a guy that could match Wilson. So outside of Dent and Singletary we could match up with them- and if Spears or Canty really explodes we could match Dent. Roy is much better then anyone the Bears had- and Newman is better then any CB the bears had. Henry is probably better then anyone the Bears had. If our young guys produce we could be close to that talent level- but will our schemes be anywhere near as effective?

dwmyers

Reaction score
This is the deal about the Bears.

They lost and lost and lost and when they weren't losing they were losing, through the 1970s. As a consequence they accumulated a lot of talent, and they seemed to accumulate it on the defensive side, largely. They never had an offense worth worrying about.

Then in the 1980s, they had some luck turn their way and then when they got Gault and McMahon suddently they had enough offense to complement that superb defense.

It's gonna take some years of drafting to be comparable across the board. Having said that, I still like what we drafted this year, and think the Boys are on the right track.

David.

lkelly

Reaction score
If the coaches thought Kalen Thornton was going to develop into a good edge rusher, I'm not sure they would have been falling all over themselves to pick Ware at the top of the draft.

I think they sent Thornton after the QB almost every time last year and he didn't exactly ring up the sack totals.