1994 was a great year

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
What a great year for cinema. I was 11 years old, and really had no idea what kind of impact these movies would have on me.

Pulp Fiction - Probably the #1 movie for me. Lots of the topics were way over my head. Heroine abuse, gimps, etc, but I still knew it was a masterpiece.

Ace Ventura, The Mask, Dumb and Dumber - Jim Carrey. Wow. Dumb and Dumber, probably a top 5 movie for me. I loved all 3.

Shawshank Redemption - I saw this on cable after it came out. I remember staying up late to finish it. Amazing movie.

Forrest Gump - I saw this at the now defunct West End movie theater. Again, I had no context for a lot of the movie, because I was 11, but it was a great film with an amazing soundtrack.

Lion King - As a kid, it obviously connected on a number of levels. Ranks up there with Aladdin for me as the top Disney cartoon.

Clerks - I never saw this as a kid. I remember watching it for the first time in 2000, when I was 17 and someone suggested it to me. It took a few viewings, but its greatness.

Lots of cultural events as well, like OJ, Al Gore invented the Internet (LOL), Kurt Cobain offed himself,

Also: Stargate, True Lies, and Speed.

Last edited:

timb2

Reaction score
What a great year for cinema. I was 11 years old, and really had no idea what kind of impact these movies would have on me.

Pulp Fiction - Probably the #1 movie for me. Lots of the topics were way over my head. Heroine abuse, gimps, etc, but I still knew it was a masterpiece.

Ace Ventura, The Mask, Dumb and Dumber - Jim Carrey. Wow. Dumb and Dumber, probably a top 5 movie for me. I loved all 3.

Shawshank Redemption - I saw this on cable after it came out. I remember staying up late to finish it. Amazing movie.

Forrest Gump - I saw this at the now defunct West End movie theater. Again, I had no context for a lot of the movie, because I was 11, but it was a great film with an amazing soundtrack.

Lion King - As a kid, it obviously connected on a number of levels. Ranks up there with Aladdin for me as the top Disney cartoon.

Clerks - I never saw this as a kid. I remember watching it for the first time in 2000, when I was 17 and someone suggested it to me. It took a few viewings, but its greatness.

Lots of cultural events as well, like OJ, Al Gore invented the Internet (LOL), Kurt Cobain offed himself,

All good movies. You like Pulp Fiction have you ever seen Reservoir Dogs by Quintin Taratino? It was his first film and how they do the time cuts for the scenes happened first in Reservoir Dogs...

Shawshank Redemption and Forrest Gump both great movies,others around that time Saving Private Ryan ,Se7en,Quick and The Dead, and Gladiator

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
All good movies. You like Pulp Fiction have you ever seen Reservoir Dogs by Quintin Taratino? It was his first film and how they do the time cuts for the scenes happened first in Reservoir Dogs...

Shawshank Redemption and Forrest Gump both great movies,others around that time Saving Private Ryan ,Se7en,Quick and The Dead, and Gladiator

Yup, did you see True Romance? It was written by Tarantino.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

Cobain was murdered.

As for 1994 movies, one of my all time fav movies, CLIFFORD, with Martin Short. It bombed at the box office, but is one of Short's iconic roles.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
And, don't forget one of the best movies also from 1994, THE CROW, with Brandon Lee. That movie would have made him a star if he had lived.

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Leon:The Professional is one of my favorite movies from that year. It was Natalie Portman's first feature film. She made the movie when she was around 11 or 12 years old. I have mentioned this before but I predicted as soon as the movie ended that she would eventually win an Oscar one day. A really good underrated movie that also starred Gary Oldman as a REALLY bad (dirty dirty) cop and Jean Reno as the hitman who fell in love with Portman's character like the daughter he did not and could never have in his type of life.

:laugh:Just remembered Luc Besson directed LTP. I wonder if that fact earns him any props from those who were highly critical of some of his other movies like The Fifth Element, Lucy and Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets?

Last edited:

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Cobain was murdered.

As for 1994 movies, one of my all time fav movies, CLIFFORD, with Martin Short. It bombed at the box office, but is one of Short's iconic roles.
Omg talk about a cult classic. Great call there. That movie was on another level w how clever that little monster was. :D

Love that movie

Last edited:

Hardline

Reaction score
How in the heck did your parents allow an 11 year old to see Pulp Fiction?

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
That is how I watched "10" when I was barely 10 myself. Late night cable when parents went to bed :laugh:
We had bootleggers who sold the vhs tapes for cheap; not on parents that the sellers could care less about age. Same when we got cable and cinemax *cough :D They also didn't enforce that stuff at the movies anyhow, just buy a ticket for a pg movie and walk into Pulp Fiction, True Romance, Terminator 2, Horror movies, etc. Ahhh, the good ol 90s/80s:thumbup:

Kevinicus

Reaction score

I agree with all of this except for Pulp Fiction and The Lion King. Neither impressed me much (especially the latter).

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Leon:The Professional is one of my favorite movies from that year. It was Natalie Portman's first feature film. She made the movie when she was around 11 or 12 years old. I have mentioned this before but I predicted as soon as the movie ended that she would eventually win an Oscar one day. A really good underrated movie that also starred Gary Oldman as a REALLY bad (dirty dirty) cop and Jean Reno as the hitman who fell in love with Portman's character like the daughter he did not and could never have in his type of life.

:laugh:Just remembered Luc Besson directed LTP. I wonder if that fact earns him any props from those who were highly critical of some of his other movies like The Fifth Element, Lucy and Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets?

The Fifth Element is a classic. Lucy and Valerian are garbage, though.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
90s was great for TV and stuff that could never be on TV today; guess that goes w/every gen but anyway.
In Living Color: Homie the Clown as a parolee on a work release program beating on kids w a sock while spouting his anti-govt. rhetoric.
Handi Man would get ILC taken off the air today.
Seinfeld (glorifying the true/ugly side of human nature; we're all in it for ourselves, etc.) George is the most original TV character I've seen (in my opinion) bc he's brutally honest about who he is and what makes him tick unlike most who put up mental fronts, etc.
Married with Children (started in 80s technically) would never fly on TV today but loved the cold cynical humor of the show.
The Simpsons in their prime

I can't watch the Big Bang Theory, Modern Family type shows bc I grew up with the humor above. You have to go cable to find these types of shows now; Archer, Sunny, Delocated, Chappelle Show, etc.

Last edited: