19th-century Levi's Jeans Found In Mine Shaft Sell For More Than $87,000

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
19th-century Levi's jeans found in mine shaft sell for more than $87,000
Published 13th October 2022
Written by Christian Edwards
221013124157-01-levis-jeans-mine-shaft.jpg

Apair of Levi's jeans from the 1880s has sold at an auction in a small town in New Mexico for more than $87,000. The jeans -- found in an abandoned mine by a "denim archaeologist" -- were bought by 23-year-old Kyle Hautner and Zip Stevenson, a veteran of the vintage denim market.
https://www.cnn.com/style/article/19th-century-levis-jeans-intl-scli/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:

terra

Reaction score
Vintage denim market.

Well that is one I never heard about before.

a pair of dirty jeans going for $87,000

The genus homo sapiens is a truly strange species

yimyammer

Reaction score
Vintage denim market.

Well that is one I never heard about before.

a pair of dirty jeans going for $87,000

The genus homo sapiens is a truly strange species

I just heard about it the other day on the Joe Rogan Experience. There's a guy named Brit Eaton who searches old mine shafts & chimneys of old houses (people would stuff the chimneys to stop air flow with clothes and sometimes jeans. and decades later they're still there and semi tie-dyed). Apparently there was a big fire in the Levi factory at the turn of the 18th/19th century and all the patterns were lost so finding these old jeans helps designers revive them.

Here's a clip (watching him go in mines gives me major claustrophobia ) :

terra

Reaction score
I just heard about it the other day on the Joe Rogan Experience. There's a guy named Brit Eaton who searches old mine shafts & chimneys of old houses (people would stuff the chimneys to stop air flow with clothes and sometimes jeans. and decades later they're still there and semi tie-dyed). Apparently there was a big fire in the Levi factory at the turn of the 18th/19th century and all the patterns were lost so finding these old jeans helps designers revive them.

Here's a clip (watching him go in mines gives me major claustrophobia ) :

we need a separate forum labeled stupid people tricks.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I've got a couple pairs of mid 90's, barely worn Levis.

I'll generously offer them to my forum bros for $500.00 a pair.

yimyammer

Reaction score
we need a separate forum labeled stupid people tricks.

here's one:

this is my worst nightmare, I am so claustrophobic I cant even sit in the back seat of a 2 door car, wont do it! Choosing to spelunk in ridiculously tight crevases like this is insane and agonizing for me to even read about

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
here's one:

this is my worst nightmare, I am so claustrophobic I cant even sit in the back seat of a 2 door car, wont do it! Choosing to spelunk in ridiculously tight crevases like this is insane and agonizing for me to even read about

Damn…. Most horrible ways to die… That has to be in the Top 5.

Creeper

Reaction score
Why did someone take off his pants in a mineshaft, then leave them there? Sounds like a more interesting story than just an old pair of Levis was found.

I bet a new pair of Levis would not last that long.

Creeper

Reaction score
here's one:

This is on the list of things I would never do. Nothing about skulking around in old caves, with tight spaces interests me. And if I was in a cave, a tiny crevice would not be an invitation to explore, it would be a warning sign to stay away.