1st day of NLI signings, UT #1 in state, #4 in the nation.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Longhorns make a statement

[SIZE=-1]04:01 PM CST on Wednesday, February 7, 2007

[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]By TODD WILLS / The Dallas Morning News

[/SIZE] Texas probably won't end up with the nation's No. 1 ranked recruiting class.
But in their own state, the Longhorns are definitely on top.

Mack Brown and his staff finished off a strong showing in their home state, signing 12 of the top 20 players on Rivals.com's Texas 100 state list.
Brown didn't get the state's top two players – Texarkana's Ryan Mallett signed with Michigan and Hempstead's Terrance Toliver is expected to sign with LSU. But the Longhorns did get the next four players on the state list, topped by South Grand Prairie offensive lineman Tray Allen.
UT's class, currently ranked No. 3 in the country by Rivals.com, also includes the state's fourth-ranked player, Gilmer cornerback Curtis Brown, plus No. 5 John Chiles of Mansfield Summit and No. 6 Michael Huey of Kilgore.
"Twelve of the top 20 in the state. No other team had more than three," said Bobby Burton, Rivals recruiting editor. "That's domination. It shouldn't come as that much of a surprise. Texas secured most of its commitments in March just two months after they had won the national championship."
Texas and several out-of-state schools almost shut Texas A&M out of the state top 20. The Aggies did sign Cy-Falls linebacker Derrick Stephens, No. 17 on the state list. (ouch!)
Even Oklahoma had to defer to in-state rival Oklahoma State in Texas recruiting. The Cowboys were expected to sign two top-ranked players from the Dallas area, Cedar Hill athlete William Cole and Lincoln defensive end Richetti Jones.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Taps-n-1;1363958 said:
Even Oklahoma had to defer to in-state rival Oklahoma State in Texas recruiting. The Cowboys were expected to sign two top-ranked players from the Dallas area, Cedar Hill athlete William Cole and Lincoln defensive end Richetti Jones.

Add Dez Bryant, WR from Lufkin for OSU. He was considered a top 50 prospect by many...

calico

Reaction score
I am disappointed that John Chiles decided to come in as a QB meaning he will be sitting next year.

I was hoping he would stick as a WR so he could get on the field as soon as possible...the guy is an explosive playmaker.

SA_Gunslinger

Official CZ Ea-girls hater
Reaction score
i don't see why Texas can't make another run at the BCS title next year.

the schedule certainly is in their favor.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
seems to me the Horns loaded up on offensive linemen, defensive backs and quarterbacks for the most part... which makes perfect sense, given the players they're losing, and the lack of depth behind Colt McCoy...

I was rather excited to see they'd recruited a defensive tackle from El Paso, indeed from Andress High School (I went to Andress the first year it opened, then the family moved back East when Dad got transferred to Fort Meade)... but then I saw the guy runs a 5.65 second 40; how in God's name can you compete in Division I football when you're THAT slow??

Unless that 40 time is inaccurate, I can't begin to fathom how this kid (his name is Andre something, can't recall his last name) can hope to succeed at Texas... indeed, if he was coming in to my program, I'd look to move him to the interior of the offensive line...

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
silverbear;1370978 said:
I was rather excited to see they'd recruited a defensive tackle from El Paso, indeed from Andress High School (I went to Andress the first year it opened, then the family moved back East when Dad got transferred to Fort Meade)... but then I saw the guy runs a 5.65 second 40; how in God's name can you compete in Division I football when you're THAT slow??

This is who you're referring to I assume? That 40 time is likely flawed because the guy has too many accolades on his bio to be an "also-ran".

jones_150.jpg
Dre Jones
Defensive Tackle
Fr.-HS · 6-5 · 295
El Paso, Texas (Andress)

H.S. Coach: Allan Sepkowitz
Prep All-American and three-time all-state selection … versatile two-sport starter who earned seven prep letters and was a three-time El Paso Times all-city selection … tabbed first-team All-America by Parade Magazine … became just the third player in El Paso history to earn that honor … also named to the USA Today All-USA second team … is the first player in El Paso history to be named to that team … played in the 2007 U.S. Army All-American Bowl … first player from El Paso to be selected for the All-American Bowl … tabbed the Texas 4A Defensive Player of the Year by the Texas Sports Writers Association … a first-team member of Dave Campbell's Super Team … named the preseason Outstanding Defensive Player by Dave Campbell's Texas Football Magazine … tallied 304 tackles, 18 sacks and five forced fumbles as Andress' only four-year starter in school history … earned first-team 4A all-state from The Associated Press and the Texas Sports Writers Association as a senior … named district 2-4A MVP … led Andress to an 8-2 record and the second round of the state playoffs … tallied 68 tackles and two sacks … earned honorable mention all-state from The Associated Press as a junior … was also an all-district (2-4A) and all-city selection … notched 87 tackles and seven sacks … named honorable mention 4A all-state by The Associated Press as a sophomore … also earned all-district (2-4A) and all-city … posted 91 tackles and four sacks … tabbed all-district 2-4A as a freshman … tallied 58 tackles and five sacks … also lettered for three years in basketball … earned a place on the honor roll as a senior … spent time reading at various elementary schools in El Paso … enjoys helping others … born 8/3/89 in Racine, Wis. … immediately moved to Indianapolis, Ind. … lived in Indianapolis until 2002, when he moved to Edinburg, Texas … then moved to El Paso for high school.