1st round burn out,, what about the 2nd round

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Longest arms: Davin Joseph, Oklahoma, 35 1/8 inches
Biggest hands: Davin Joseph, Oklahoma, 11 1/4 inches

6'3" 312lbs. Good athlete for size, has played some left tackle along with playing G.

Showed impressive lateral agility in his stint at LT, has great power at point of attack.

Solid footwork, uses hands rather well,holds his own against power rushes, has agility in open field and quick enough to get downfield ahead of a back.

No injury problems in college, intelligent and responds well to coaching, good attitude with high threshold for pain.

Many oklahoma viewers feel he is better than Jamaal Brown, with pro bowl potential and no apparent weaknesses.

Sounds like another possible Larry Allen -- maybe we should grab him in the second round.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Typhus said:
Longest arms: Davin Joseph, Oklahoma, 35 1/8 inches
Biggest hands: Davin Joseph, Oklahoma, 11 1/4 inches

6'3" 312lbs. Good athlete for size, has played some left tackle along with playing G.

Showed impressive lateral agility in his stint at LT, has great power at point of attack.

Solid footwork, uses hands rather well,holds his own against power rushes, has agility in open field and quick enough to get downfield ahead of a back.

No injury problems in college, intelligent and responds well to coaching, good attitude with high threshold for pain.

Many oklahoma viewers feel he is better than Jamaal Brown, with pro bowl potential and no apparent weaknesses.

Sounds like another possible Larry Allen -- maybe we should grab him in the second round.

Could be.

I'm starting to think we're more likely to get a "guard" type player early in the draft than a tackle prospect.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Could be.

I'm starting to think we're more likely to get a "guard" type player early in the draft than a tackle prospect.
Deuce Latui, OG, USC, 6'3", 338 lbs.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Could be.

Either way is a need,, IMO....

and..

Sorry Winicki,, we both posted at the same time, or I would have posted this in your thread about OT's. ;)

Woods

Reaction score
Another interesting guy would be Spencer at Guard out of Pitt.

He can also potentially play some OT, so they say.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Typhus said:
Either way is a need,, IMO....

and..

Sorry Winicki,, we both posted at the same time, or I would have posted this in your thread about OT's. ;)

LOL!

Not a problem. ;)

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Woods said:

Just a few quick notes from some of what I've watched...I've been at work so I'll have to watch what I have recorded to relay some more...NFL.com is giving some info as well...

Charles Spencer came in at 352 lbs. That's about 20 lbs heavier than many projected weights had him at. Only Max Jean-Gilles was listed as heavier. He came in at 355. I haven't seen a weight on Lutui yet. He might be heavier since he is always listed as 370.

Maurice Drew's height in 5'6" 3/4. I didn't expect him to be that short.

Calhoun weighed in at 201 lbs. as did Reggie Bush. Bush's physique was impressive. He's pretty ripped.

I'm pretty disappointed in NFL Network's coverage. I've had to listen to Jim Mora and some no name sit there and talk and talk. I've seen only a handful of players weighed and measured. It sucks. Only measurement I have to add is Ferguson's.

He's 6'6" and came in a 312 lbs. It's nice to see that he added some weight. That just makes him an even better prospect. Of course, he won't be participating in any drills and will only do that on his pro day.

Like I said above, Bush is ripped. He looks like he's been lifting weights. He was 5'10" 7/8 and 201 lbs.

Some of the OL did some lifting today. I just watched Will Montgomery from Va. Tech lift and he did it 35 times which was the biggest number of reps for the day.

ghst187

Reaction score
Spencer
Joseph
Jean-Gilles
Latui

are all pretty good players and should all be playing G at the next level. Joseph played T at OU this past season only because of injuries to other players and team need. He is 100% guard. Also, I don't really foresee any of the above players going in the first round and all are good second round picks and great value picks in the third. I could definitely see us taking one of them in the second or third.
Of course, may also depend on:
1) if we go after and get Bentley, although haven't seen any indication that we will yet
2) resigning, or not, Gurode
3) I don't see this happening but if we pulled our heads out of our butts, we'd move Torrin Tucker back to Guard and not have to worry about the position as much. And hopefully, for the love of all that is good, we don't do the same thing to a new draftee that we did to Tucker and try to play a G at Tackle. Its been a waste of everyone's time and efforts.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
Davin Joseph reminds me a whole lot of Will Shields. I think he's going to be that type of player. Another player that has me very intruigued on Oklahoma's squad is Travis Wilson. He had some injury problems along with very inconsistent QB play last year. But he had more TD's than Mark Clayton, Brandon Jones or Mark Bradley in 2004 and has great size at 6'3" 215 lbs and is physical with deep speed.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
In the 2nd you just might get one of the top 2 or 3 guards (Giles, Spencer, or Tutifruti). so that is one major consideration. but if it looks like the 3rd round guards are similar to the guys you'd get in the 2nd -- just like a tackle at #18 would be of similar quality to one in the 2nd -- then you'd want to wait.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
abersonc said:
In the 2nd you just might get one of the top 2 or 3 guards (Giles, Spencer, or Tutifruti). so that is one major consideration. but if it looks like the 3rd round guards are similar to the guys you'd get in the 2nd -- just like a tackle at #18 would be of similar quality to one in the 2nd -- then you'd want to wait.

Just saw Giles do his high jump,,, I know its just one agility test, but other than doing well in that individual drill, the guy just looks like a BEAST!!!
Starting to really like this guy, and wouldnt be surprised at all if he elevated his stock in to the lower 1sr round after the combine is completed/pre-draft.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Typhus said:
Just saw Giles do his high jump,,, I know its just one agility test, but other than doing well in that individual drill, the guy just looks like a BEAST!!!
Starting to really like this guy, and wouldnt be surprised at all if he elevated his stock in to the lower 1sr round after the combine is completed/pre-draft.

He is a beast -- if we decide to move back in round 1 he'd be a good target -- every saw him dominate in the senior bowl so I think he'll be the #1 guard (though some folks have Spencer higher)

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Woods said:

I'm very interested to see if Spencer can hit double digits on the wonderlic. He's pretty impressive physically, but I've heard lots of reports that he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

I'm also interested in hearing PittDawg's comments on him, a player he should have a pretty good feel for.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Deuce Latui, OG, USC, 6'3", 338 lbs.

That who you got in mind to guard the buses??:laugh2: . This guy looked like molasses the few times I watched him. No question about his run blocking...except pulling, but his constant weight issues are a red flag. 365#(probably grossly understated) is BIG for 6-4. I love his size up the gut, but his sloth like speed would hurt going to the outside (5.5 sec + 40) and in pass blocking at the NFL level...that said, I'd like him ALOT better in the 3rd (or 4th if we had one).

MissionCoach

Reaction score
aardvark said:
I wouldn't mind that big boy wearing a blue star at all, but not at 18...

Taitusi “Deuce” Lutui OL 6’3 338 USC

Deuce Lutui originally signed with Utah out of high school, but decided to go back to a junior college in Arizona. He signed with USC in 2004, and has been a rock on their offensive line since then. Lutui replaced Winston Justice at right tackle as a junior, when Justice was suspended for the year. This year, with Justice back, Lutui has moved inside to left guard, a much more natural position for him, and it paid off with various All American honors.
Lutui is versatile, being successful at two positions at the highest level of college football. His biggest strength is obviously his size and strength. Deuce is absolutely massive, and can flat out dominate in the running game. Once he gets his hands on you, you’re out of the play. In 2004, Lutui showed the ability to play outside, and showed surprising mobility for a 330+lber.
Even though he was successful at tackle in college, he will not play there in the NFL, aside from as an injury replacement. He doesn’t have the athletic skills to play out there full time. Deuce needs to have his weight monitored because he can pack on a little too much at times. Even though he has only played D1 football for two years, Lutui has shown NFL talent. Now that he is at his natural guard spot, Lutui has settled in as one of the best in the draft at his position.. If he keeps his weight in check, he could be a pro bowler in no time. Guards generally do not crack the first round, but Lutui has an outside shot at it. He'll most likely hear his name called at the top of second round.