1st round positional hit rate from 2000-2019

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Very interesting and supports my theory. OL in general and interior OL in particular tend to be quality 1st round picks because teams don't value them that high. They're not the sexy ball in your hands making plays position. So you end up with better players on the board at OL than the guys being selected at other positions.

The C rate doesn't surprise me at all. You can steal a Pro Bowl C in the late 1st round routinely.

Aven8

Reaction score
Very interesting and supports my theory. OL in general and interior OL in particular tend to be quality 1st round picks because teams don't value them that high. They're not the sexy ball in your hands making plays position. So you end up with better players on the board at OL than the guys being selected at other positions.

The C rate doesn't surprise me at all. You can steal a Pro Bowl C in the late 1st round routinely.
You take the week off Ris? I know this is your favorite time of year

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Right. They don't go earlier in the first because of positional value, not because they aren't among the best players in the round. I'm for getting the best players regardless of positional value. Obviously, all things being equal, you take the player with greater positional value, but I mainly just want to come out of the first round with a player who stand a real good chance of being a Pro Bowler/All Pro at whatever position he plays. That's not a sure bet at pick 24 for many positions.

gimmesix

Reaction score
So. JPJ or Frazier it is. And I have absolutely no problem with it.
I think it is inevitable if we take either at 24 that there will be outcries that we could have traded down and got him.

Hardline

Reaction score
I think it is inevitable if we take either at 24 that there will be outcries that we could have traded down and got him.
OLs are going to be flying off the draft board. There's no guarantee both are off the board before #24.

gimmesix

Reaction score
OLs are going to be flying off the draft board. There's no guarantee both are off the board before #24.
Hopefully most teams will be going for the OTs. I'd still rather get the top C than the eighth-best OT unless that OT is much more of a sure thing.

John813

Reaction score
Frederick was the only bust.

jk

Who is the lone soul center that didn't pan out? Are they considering Cameron Irving as the pick that didn't pan out?

gimmesix

Reaction score

The other thing that stood out to me is the RB rate, simply because it doesn't get better the later you take one. Since the rates are based on second contracts, I know the value of the RB position affects that, but those who think we can just pick up a starting running back late in the draft aren't paying attention to the percentages against that. You have to get lucky enough in the early rounds to find one worth keeping. In the later rounds, if you find one, you've beaten some pretty tough odds.

tm1119

Reaction score
I would say this definitely needs more context.

If a player plays out their rookie deal and signs a mega deal elsewhere in free agency are they not “a hit”.

And if a player is mediocre, but the team reups them on a cheap deal for depth is that considered “a hit”?

Also, sample size is always very important

1942willys

Reaction score
I would say this definitely needs more context.

If a player plays out their rookie deal and signs a mega deal elsewhere in free agency are they not “a hit”.

And if a player is mediocre, but the team reups them on a cheap deal for depth is that considered “a hit”?

Also, sample size is always very important
Agree, I think the hit or miss thing that was posted on QBs was full of crap. To me a hit is a near pro bowl player and above for all positions except QB. There if the QB does not make multiple Pro Bowls then he is a miss.