2 high priced DE's

kskboys

Reaction score
He is going to be fun to watch. Hopefully, there is no nfl learning curve
I"m sure there'll be some, but manalive, w/ his extreme physical skills, combined w/ his apparent intincts, he should be at least pretty good right away.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I"m sure there'll be some, but manalive, w/ his extreme physical skills, combined w/ his apparent intincts, he should be at least pretty good right away.

They have added dt's that can stand their ground and free up linebackers, added both skill and utility at lb'er, added skill at corner, and depth guys at DE.

Out of curiosity, and keeping in mind dominant offensive play, what is your prediction on how well the defense will improve

kskboys

Reaction score
They have added dt's that can stand their ground and free up linebackers, added both skill and utility at lb'er, added skill at corner, and depth guys at DE.

Out of curiosity, and keeping in mind dominant offensive play, what is your prediction on how well the defense will improve
Massive. I see a top 10 type, w/ room to improve even more if the rooks pan out.

Quinn is the wildcard. He's only been a DC for two seasons, 13 and 14 w/ the Seachickens. Great D, yes, but massive talent on that team. Can he coach a D?

IMO he wasn't ready to be HC when ATL gave him the job. Or, he may simply be one of those guys who don't make good HC's, but are good coordinators. He did have some hard luck seasons in ATL.

Proof

Reaction score
Of course he won't and he shouldn't. The way he pays the Jones's back is by playing well not giving a "discount".

i have literally nothing but my gut and naïveté to base it on, but i do think RG would give them a fair deal. just seems like that kind of guy, and obviously they’ve taken care of him over the years.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Randy Gregorys contract is up after this year.

It is an assumption that he will have a monster year, but I think he will. The pretense of the thread is that Gregory is top 3 or so in sacks. The cowboys are paying a high priced DE, QB, WR, LB'er, and offensive tackles.

1. Can the cowboys have 2 high priced DE's
2. For people who know the cap, do they currently have the money to sign him
3. If the cowboys sign Gregory, what major players can't they sign
4. If they do sign him, I am assuming that will mean cheap contracts and league minimums at a lot of positions. Do you think the cowboys have filled their roster holes well, and have they done well with all the young guys on their team

As far as the money and cap issues on this thread, if you don't know the books and the cap, don't answer that part

Would you personally buy the most expensive car that you could possibly afford the payments. Let's say you could make payments on a Ferrari but only if you ate Ramen noodles for all meals, didn't turn on you home AC, had 5 roommates, etc.. Would you you do it?

There is not a concrete black & white answer that you appear to be seeking.

The reason is because teams can borrow against future years with regards to the cap. Only Stephen Jones knows how much he is willing to borrow.

Since SJ took over making all of those decisions starting in 2014, the Cowboys have not borrowed against the future like they did previously.

They peaked out in borrowing against the future in 2013 in the weeks after the start of the league year in early March until they signed Romo to a new contract. Because Romo was in the final year of his previous contract they were absorbing the entire cap hit and could not stretch it out into the future without signing him to a new deal. During that time the team had literally borrowed the absolute max against the future cap. They had to restructure the backup QB despite that only giving them about 150K of cap space. There were no other contracts that they could restructure. They had to sign Romo to a new deal with a low first year cap hit or they would not be able to sign draft picks, etc.

They could sign Gregory to a mega contract without impacting 2021; however, it would impact them in future years.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
i have literally nothing but my gut and naïveté to base it on, but i do think RG would give them a fair deal. just seems like that kind of guy, and obviously they’ve taken care of him over the years.
Yeah I don’t see it. But who knows it depends on the season he has. If he has a bad season I’m sure he’d give them a fair deal lol.