20 Great Sampled Hip-Hop Songs

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I know some of you guys hate Hip-Hop, but even if so, they have the original samples which you may find more to your liking.

Some really great original songs in here, very few of the "remakes" can touch the original but for all the people that complain hip-hop is just noise, you can see that some people in the industry really are students of music.

http://www.recave.com/2010/06/20-great-sampled-hip-hop-songs/

As a bonus, you can check out Labi Siffre's "I Got The Blues" (one of my favorite songs ever), about half way the song breaks down and you get a second sample which was used for "Hi, My Name Is" by Eminem while the earlier part of the song was used for Streets is Watching by Jay Z.

Enjoy.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just a sample and only in the start of the song if I remember correctly but I always liked PE sample of Queen's Flash song in the Terminator X song.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
WHere the heck is 3rd bass's sampling of eminance front on pop goes the weasel?

Or the beastie boys sampling of when the levee breaks and other songs on the licensed to ill album?

this does prove one thing though, rappers need real musicians to make music.

and amen for real musicians.

mldardy

Reaction score
If you want to get a good list of samples go to kevinnottingham.com. That guy has a lot of stuff on his site and a whole section dedicated to sampling by some of the best hip hop albums.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
mldardy;3421871 said:
If you want to get a good list of samples go to kevinnottingham.com. That guy has a lot of stuff on his site and a whole section dedicated to sampling by some of the best hip hop albums.

Yeah but you can't actually listen to the songs on his site, lol.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
Warren G ft. Nate Dogg – Regulate

I love that song!

Also worthy of mention is OutKast - The Way You Move, which samples the Earth, Wind and Fire song of the same name.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Didn't look at the list but MC Hammer's songs probably make up at least 1/3 of the list :laugh2: .

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3421914 said:
Didn't look at the list but MC Hammer's songs probably make up at least 1/3 of the list :laugh2: .

More like Jay-Z :p

mldardy

Reaction score
TheCount;3421887 said:
Yeah but you can't actually listen to the songs on his site, lol.
True but my point was if you wanted a list of sampled songs and the option to dl those songs his site is one of the best.

rkell87

Reaction score
theebs;3421851 said:

Or the beastie boys sampling of when the levee breaks and other songs on the licensed to ill album?

:rolleyes:

mldardy

Reaction score
theebs;3421851 said:

No it proves that rappers/deejays have been doing this since the beginning of the genre and that is why it stands out from your other so-called "real musicians". Learn something about the history of the genre instead of making silly, old grandpa statments like this.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
theebs;3421851 said:

Yes, musicians need other musicians to make music. Groundbreaking. :laugh2:

rkell87

Reaction score
songs led zeppelin stole

"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."
"Black Mountain Side" - uncredited version of a traditional folk tune previously recorded by Bert Jansch.
"Bring It On Home" - the first section is an uncredited cover of the Willie Dixon tune (as performed by the imposter Sonny Boy Williamson).
"Communication Breakdown" - apparently derived from Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown."
"Custard Pie" - uncredited cover of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down," with lyrics from Sleepy John Estes's "Drop Down Daddy."
"Dazed And Confused" - uncredited cover of the Jake Holmes song (see The Above Ground Sound Of Jake Holmes).
"Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" - uncredited version of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down."
"How Many More Times" - Part one is an uncredited cover of the Howlin' Wolf song (available on numerous compilations). Part two is an uncredited cover of Albert King's "The Hunter."
"In My Time Of Dying" - uncredited cover of the traditional song (as heard on Bob Dylan's debut).
"The Lemon Song" - uncredited cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" - Wolf's publisher sued Zeppelin in the early 70s and settled out of court.
"Moby Dick" - written and first recorded by Sleepy John Estes under the title "The Girl I Love," and later covered by Bobby Parker.
"Nobody's Fault But Mine" - uncredited cover of the Blind Willie Johnson blues.
"Since I've Been Lovin' You" - lyrics are the same as Moby Grape's "Never," though the music isn't similar.
"Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit.
"White Summer" - uncredited cover of Davey Graham's "She Moved Through The Fair."
"Whole Lotta Love" - lyrics are from the Willie Dixon blues "You Need Love.

metallica-Welcome Home (Sanitarium) stolen from Bleak House's "Rainbow Warrior"

deep purple stole its opening riff of Smoke On the Water from Astrud Gilberto andGil Evans'- maria moite along with a number of other obscure jazz artists.

Andrew Lloyd Webbers Phantom of the Opera sounds a whole lot like Pink Floyd's "Echoes."

yeah your "true artists" not only sample but straight up jack **** from other people too

JustDezIt

Formerly sm0kie13 ROY
Reaction score
ok so i will let you guys in on a lil secret...dr. dre is the biggest thief in the rap game...hahaha im sure you already knew..

but if you are into this kind of thing then it is an absolute MUST tht you go to this site...you can listen to the original and the sample and it tells you exactly what part of the song it is in...i could spend days on this site....

http://www.whosampled.com/artist/Dr.%20Dre/ - enjoy!

one of my favorites
[youtube]g5PvCe4xrq0[/youtube]

[youtube]3KL9mRus19o[/youtube]

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3421914 said:

Not on the list. :(

The list is bogus.