20 Questions: 16 - who makes the biggest year 2 jump

plasticman

Reaction score
The NBA does it that way (Blake Griffin, Chet Holmgren) - but not the NFL.
2023 is listed as Overshown's rookie season, even though he didn't play a single down during the 17 games.
On the Cowboys roster - IR status.
That's interesting because Tony Romo's first season was 2003, same as Witten. However, he was not activated for the entire season so there are no stats, at least not at Pro-Football-Reference

So I thought Romo was considered a rookie in 2004. He was activated to be the field goal holder. In those games his passing numbers are listed at zero. He didn't throw his first pass until 2006.

Therefore, i figured that if 2003 was his rookie season then he would have a list of each game and they would have all been designated "inactive". The only indication that he was thee in 2003 is in his biop.

So, I might be wrong when I thought 2004 was considered Romo's rookie season although he was available but not used in 2003.

Overshown is considered a 2nd year player then, is that right?

Still, technically speaking, all he has to do in 2024 to vastly improve would be to walk onto the field. Indications are, if he stays healthy, he's going to do much more than that. If you have no history of prior productivity, all we can do is trust the source of our information.

I guess my skepticism comes from a combination of two things. The first would be the validity of prior information given to us by the media at this time of year. The second would be the fact that Overshown is a 3rd round pick. If he is as awesome as some expressed, why did every team in the league pass him by at least twice?

For me, any pick below the 2nd round typically has the possibility of being a reliable starter. He's not great but he gets the job done. When a player beyond the 2nd round plays at an elite level then it is a gift. It's true, the Cowboys have been gifted often, recently.

Picks below the 3rd round aren't typically projected to be great, their greatness is revealed through the quality of their early play, most likely their first preseasons. You see a spark. I think this was true of guys like Ferguson or Brand, It had been true for Tony Romo and DeMarco Murray and several others in the past.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The answer is clearly Overshown. Deuce, Leupke, Brooks, Schoon, Mazi, Scott, Thomas and all the others won't see near as many snaps as Overshown. Nor will they be starting.

The better question is who will make the biggest jump AFTER Overshown or who will make the 2nd biggest jump AFTER Overshown because he is so clearly the correct answer.
Absolutely.

The role and the opportunities play a large part in this answer, and there isn’t a player in a better role with more opportunities than Overshown will have.