20 Questions: 9 - Is Jake Ferguson Knocking on the Door for All Pro

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I don't thinks so but I don't mean that as a knock on Ferg either. I think there is just so much competition at the TE position right now. With Kittle, Laporta, McBride, and even Kyle Pitts getting an actual QB now I think it will be quite the battle just for him to make a pro bowl in 2024.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
They’ve been neglecting the TE for years. If they want to call the plays that way I’m all for it. If he stays healthy he could be a top 5 TE.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They’ve been neglecting the TE for years. If they want to call the plays that way I’m all for it. If he stays healthy he could be a top 5 TE.
how many 2nd round TE drafts?

We aren't "neglecting". Just mismanaged like almost everything else.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
how many 2nd round TE drafts?

We aren't "neglecting". Just mismanaged like almost everything else.
I think Schoonmaker makes a big leap this year.
Remember last year he did not have any off season OTA's or mini camps. And missed the first few weeks of TC. Because of a foot injury.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I really like Ferguson; and he was just about the only player that excelled in that playoff debacle.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think Schoonmaker makes a big leap this year.
Remember last year he did not have any off season OTA's or mini camps. And missed the first few weeks of TC. Because of a foot injury.
I hope he’s more than what he looks like which is just a run of the mill TE that we could’ve just signed in FA instead of burning a 2nd rounder on.

shabazz

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/9-is-jake-ferguson-knocking-on-door-for-all-pro

I say yes. Read the answer Youmans gives. Sums it up pretty well.
However Mickey is also right, how does the Dallas offense look and how will they play defense against them.

So if the run game is not there, and a 3rd WR does not step up. Do they key on Jake.
I think alot has to do with this year's roster around him.

Does Ceedee hold out and almost make him the #1 or #2 receiving option and if so can he break coverage?

The great ones like Kelce can still do it. Fergusons biggest part of his game is determination and quietly becoming the teams emotional leader.

He's exceeding expectations so far

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Absolutely.

CeeDee is our only legit weapon at WR. I don't trust Cooks anymore at his age. Dak is definitely going to need and lean on Ferguson.

Chasing6

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/9-is-jake-ferguson-knocking-on-door-for-all-pro

I say yes. Read the answer Youmans gives. Sums it up pretty well.
However Mickey is also right, how does the Dallas offense look and how will they play defense against them.

So if the run game is not there, and a 3rd WR does not step up. Do they key on Jake.
Jake is a stud. I don't think it even matters if they focus on him, unless CD holds out.

If we don't end up with a legitimate #3 WR and even if we do, I hope we can figure out how to get a second TE involved in the passing. This will make us a more physical team.

We can't advertise every time a second TE goes on the field that it is a run play.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Damn good tight end who’s gotten better each year he’s been in the league. I don’t know if he will ever have the stats to be a All Pro but Dak made Schultz look good and Ferg is much more talented.

Adreme

Reaction score
The 3 best TEs in football are Kelce, Kittle, and Andrews and then there is a gap. Now in order to be all pro Ferg has to beat out both of them and that is ignoring players like Pitts, NJoku, Goedert, Hockenson, and Laporta, among others who are all already pro bowl level players who could at any time have a career year. All pro is not an easy feat and while Ferg might be a great TE its hard to be all pro in the NFL in a position where there is only 1 first team and 1 second team.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The 3 best TEs in football are Kelce, Kittle, and Andrews and then there is a gap. Now in order to be all pro Ferg has to beat out both of them and that is ignoring players like Pitts, NJoku, Goedert, Hockenson, and Laporta, among others who are all already pro bowl level players who could at any time have a career year. All pro is not an easy feat and while Ferg might be a great TE its hard to be all pro in the NFL in a position where there is only 1 first team and 1 second team.
Ferguson and Dak got off to a slow start last year. He ended the season averaging only 6 targets a game and just under a 70% completion percentage.

I could see his targets being increased. If they can continue to improve his completion % and yards per catch he could in theory have a shot at breaking the 1,000 yard mark.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Disappears for stretches at a time but still puts up 1,000 yard seasons despite being one of the few starting TEs in the league to play most of his snaps as an inline TE ....interesting.
He barely broke 1,000 last year (1,020) and was the first time since 2019 and was only the third time he'd done it in his career. 10 times last year he had three or fewer catches. It's good he's a great blocker because outside of one good year he's not exactly lighting it up on the stat sheet.