20 Questions: 9 - Is Jake Ferguson Knocking on the Door for All Pro

Adreme

Reaction score
Ferguson and Dak got off to a slow start last year. He ended the season averaging only 6 targets a game and just under a 70% completion percentage.

I could see his targets being increased. If they can continue to improve his completion % and yards per catch he could in theory have a shot at breaking the 1,000 yard mark.
That doesnt get you to all pro though unless it is a weak year. If you are going to get there in a weak year though, like how Lamar got his MVP, then what you need is name recognition. If you do not have that then you need to have stats far eclipsing the rest of the field. For context though When Mark Andrews was all pro 3 years ago he had over 1300 yards and when Kelce had it 2 years ago and 4 years ago he had 1300 and 1400 yards respectively. Basically barring injuries, like what happened to both Andrews and Kelce last year, you are going to need around that. I do not see him getting that.

JBS

Reaction score
That’s all this team is missing

Some more all pro awards

Chasing6

Reaction score
Disappears for stretches at a time but still puts up 1,000 yard seasons despite being one of the few starting TEs in the league to play most of his snaps as an inline TE ....interesting.
He gets vertical. I believe he averages 15 yards a catch so he only needs 67 catches.
However he has significantly more weapons around him. So his job is easier.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
He barely broke 1,000 last year (1,020) and was the first time since 2019 and was only the third time he'd done it in his career. 10 times last year he had three or fewer catches. It's good he's a great blocker because outside of one good year he's not exactly lighting it up on the stat sheet.
Bro he’s a TE with 6200 yards in 7 seasons. He “barely” broke 1,000 yards last year which literally led the league. How often do you think TEs go over 1000 yards? In the last couple years only him and Kelce have done it.

Not only did he lead the league in receiving last year but he did with with over 60% of his snaps as an inline TE for a team that runs the football more than they throw it.

The idea that he’s overrated or not lighting up the stat sheet is very odd to me. There is a very good argument to be made that he’s the best TE in football right now.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
He gets vertical. I believe he averages 15 yards a catch so he only needs 67 catches.
However he has significantly more weapons around him. So his job is easier.
SF is maybe the deepest team in football in terms of weapons, agree completely. He doesn’t have a QB on the level of Dak or Mahomes either though. He’s been catching balls from Purdy and Jimmy G in addition to being an elite blocker throughout his career.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Bro he’s a TE with 6200 yards in 7 seasons. He “barely” broke 1,000 yards last year which literally led the league. How often do you think TEs go over 1000 yards? In the last couple years only him and Kelce have done it.

Not only did he lead the league in receiving last year but he did with with over 60% of his snaps as an inline TE for a team that runs the football more than they throw it.

The idea that he’s overrated or not lighting up the stat sheet is very odd to me. There is a very good argument to be made that he’s the best TE in football right now.
I can think of 5 TE's right off the top of my head I would take over Kittle. If I really gave it some thought I could probably come up with at least 5 more. There also the fact that, outside the game against us, he had 3 TD's the entire season.

Adreme

Reaction score
I can think of 5 TE's right off the top of my head I would take over Kittle. If I really gave it some thought I could probably come up with at least 5 more. There also the fact that, outside the game against us, he had 3 TD's the entire season.
The 3 best TEs of the past 3 years are Kittle, Kelce, and Andrews and it is not close. There is a reason that they are the last 3 first team all pro TEs. The only reason he does not get more volume is because that team has 2 star WRs and a star RB to feed as well but fortunately for said star RB Kittle is also one of the best blocking TEs in football. All the other TEs you can think of are a tier below. Kelce is a first ballot HoF and Kittle is probably one more all pro selection from being a HoF player himself. That is the caliber of player we are talking about. Andrews is a couple years younger so more needs to be said but he could very easily put himself on that path. None of the other TEs in the league are even in that discussion yet.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Fergie is the next Superstar TE in the making. Dak should continue to utilize him to move the chains.

gtb1943

Reaction score
one thing that always bothers me is when people say a WR disappears.
I think you have to look very closely at such claims
There can be several reasons:
1) the D is covering him tighter and the play caller sees this and goes elsewhere
2) the QB does not look for him at times
3) he takes plays off

to say its always the WRs fault is ignorant

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Your opinion is your opinion and that's OK...It's just absolutely wild to me that Kittle wouldnt even be in your top 10. The guy literally led the league in receiving yards last year for TEs despite running 100 fewer routes than Travis Kelce. His 485 snaps as a blocker was 2nd most in the league for TEs. The guy is averaging over 850 yards a season in his career despite being primarily a blocking TE.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The 3 best TEs of the past 3 years are Kittle, Kelce, and Andrews and it is not close. There is a reason that they are the last 3 first team all pro TEs. The only reason he does not get more volume is because that team has 2 star WRs and a star RB to feed as well but fortunately for said star RB Kittle is also one of the best blocking TEs in football. All the other TEs you can think of are a tier below. Kelce is a first ballot HoF and Kittle is probably one more all pro selection from being a HoF player himself. That is the caliber of player we are talking about. Andrews is a couple years younger so more needs to be said but he could very easily put himself on that path. None of the other TEs in the league are even in that discussion yet.
I really like Fergie. But if I had to put money on the next TE to elevate into best in the game discussions it would be Laporta.

reddyuta

Reaction score
according to ESPN he is not even a top 10 TE in the NFL-no joke they made a list of the top 10 and he is not on it.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
All pro probably not as there are better receiving TE's but Fergy is a dam good player all around.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I really like Fergie. But if I had to put money on the next TE to elevate into best in the game discussions it would be Laporta.
Laporta is already light years ahead of Ferguson. “Fergie” will be hard pressed to get the most snaps at TE for the Cowboys. Enough with the fantasy. Having no one else to throw to does not make anyone an all-pro tight end.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Laporta is already light years ahead of Ferguson. “Fergie” will be hard pressed to get the most snaps at TE for the Cowboys. Enough with the fantasy. Having no one else to throw to does not make anyone an all-pro tight end.
sure fine whatever