News: 20 Questions: How does the suspension effect Rico?

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
The effect of a 1 game suspension is that he can't play for 1 game. Solved, close thread.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's plain to see that Rico didn't help his cause by ensuring a lack of availability for game one, due to the suspension. He'll have no cause to complain for putting himself at risk by getting himself suspended. It's strictly up to the team to render a decision to keep or cut him.

They will, consequently, do as they see fit. Rico has no one to blame but himself for reducing his availability. He was already on a slippery slope. Nobody could rightfully blame Dallas if they chose to cut ties with him at this time. Good luck to him if they decide to do so.

Last edited:

Scotman

Reaction score
I think the extra week helps him. But, unless he shows some real growth in his ability to play consistently at this level, I'm afraid the extra week won't be enough. I wanted this guy to overcome not playing college football simply because he is a physical match-up nightmare for defenses. However, that was an enormous hurdle to overcome.

I'm still hopeful it all comes together for him. One more week only creates a slightly better window for him to make the 53. It's not a discipline issue for the Cowboys. They new about the issue last year before the season.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A lot of fans have unrealistic expectations of players. (I'm sure we all do to some extent.) I think it comes from entitlement and the desire for instant gratification. Football just isn't a cookie-cutter game, even players who played four seasons of college football can take a while to adjust to the NFL.

I'm not down on Rico (other than the suspension). The odds were against him, which is why he was taken so late in the draft. Frankly, I'm still hoping that a 6-6, 280-pound player can become an asset at the position. He just doesn't have much more time to do it.

He would likely have been a better fit for the Cowboys with Garrett as the OC (i.e. A MartyB replacement).

I think with Kellen Moore precision execution and scheme knowledge will be a bigger focus.

Even with Linehan they liked guys like Hanna/Swaim/Schultz as blocking TEs because they understood the scheme and could execute but were not overwhelming physically.

I was extremely impressed when I first saw MartyB in person at training camp back then. He had freakish ability but only a fraction of it showed up in real games.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A lot of fans have unrealistic expectations of players. (I'm sure we all do to some extent.) I think it comes from entitlement and the desire for instant gratification. Football just isn't a cookie-cutter game, even players who played four seasons of college football can take a while to adjust to the NFL.

I'm not down on Rico (other than the suspension). The odds were against him, which is why he was taken so late in the draft. Frankly, I'm still hoping that a 6-6, 280-pound player can become an asset at the position. He just doesn't have much more time to do it.

Another issue for Rico is that although he said he had his weight down last year, he looked more sluggish as a receiver than in past pre-seasons.

That year he hurdled a defender in a preseason game he really did look like an elite athlete at his size.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He would likely have been a better fit for the Cowboys with Garrett as the OC (i.e. A MartyB replacement).

I think with Kellen Moore precision execution and scheme knowledge will be a bigger focus.

Even with Linehan they liked guys like Hanna/Swaim/Schultz as blocking TEs because they understood the scheme and could execute but were not overwhelming physically.

I was extremely impressed when I first saw MartyB in person at training camp back then. He had freakish ability but only a fraction of it showed up in real games.

I agree that if there is more movement, there will be an emphasis on making sure you understand what you are supposed to do, rather than the more simplified, line-up-and-do-your-job approach. However, considering it's unlikely we're going to change approaches from being run-heavy, there's still a need for having a second tight end who's primarily a blocker but can make plays in the passing game. I don't think Dallas has wanted players who were not overwhelming physical at the position since Bennett, but that's how it has worked out. The overwhelmingly physical guys who can actually do more than block are not easy to find, which is one reason you take a shot on a player like Gathers and hope it works out. Players like Swaim, Gathers and Schultz were taken IMO because they had athletic upside to possibly develop into adequate replacements for Witten both as blockers and receivers.