Video: 20 years ago today Emmitt Smith became all-time leading rusher

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
It's amazing that Frank Gore has done what he's done. He tore his ACL in each knee in a 3 yr time span and still has managed to put up those figures.

Heck I didn't even realize he was still playing.
He's retired according to what I find online.

gmb1

Reaction score
Some will not agree but in my view Emmitt was the best all around RB in the game. I do thing Barry Sanders was the best pure runner but Emmitt produced in every facet of the position Running, blocking, receiving and short yardage. The man did everything you want out of the RB spot
Absolutely. He produced at every level from high school, college and so on. I'll never forget we started the 1993 season 0-2 without him and then he came back and won the MVP and Super bowl MVP. Incredible.

gmb1

Reaction score
main-qimg-cfeed19e8e164bb395267aebc6af692c
Curtis Martin is underrated. Wow.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Just read he had a "significant" injury that caused him to miss the rest of the 2022 season. He was poised to have a great season as a junior. Emmitt Smith IV....Similar size and weight and same running style..great HS career. Who knows, maybe he goes into the next draft, falls due to injury and is picked by guess who? LOL....would be hard for JJ to resist.

I could just see that happening, or, what would suck, is if the Giants took him to get payback on us for knocking them out in the 1993-94 season.

joseephuss

Reaction score
All of the "this guy will break Emmitt's records" guys have faded into the sunset - Curtis Martin (whom even Emmitt thought would catch him), Tomlinson, Gore. There's nobody left besides maybe Henry, but some of his yearly totals drag down his good years.

Henry has no chance. He is far behind in rushing yards from where Emmitt was during their 7th seasons. Plus Henry was 22 when he started in the NFL while Smith was 21.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
It amazes me that fans of the team from back then actually appreciate Emmitt's rushing record.

Those days were my worst times as a Cowboys fan.

To this day, I still despise Emmitt Smith. His last couple/few years in Dallas . . . it wasn't about winning, or making the playoffs, or another Super Bowl. The team was hardly competitive at all. And Jerry's focus, as well as Emmitt's ego's focus, was only about getting the rushing record.

I don't really consider Emmitt the rushing leader, because, pure statistics aside, he was fed the ball just so he could get the record and continued playing long after he was any good. I have a lot more respect for players like Andre Reed, who was angry when his team threw him short, screen passes, just so he could achieve a record in receptions, behind Jerry Rice. Reed ended up #2 in all-time receptions at that time. But he was pissed when they threw him several screen passes just so he could achieve the record.

Fans of Emmitt's rushing record should go back and look at the context, and how it actually happened, and then go look at Andre Reed's reaction when he got the same treatment by his team in order to get the record.

I know many fans love him, but Emmitt Smith will always be one of my least favorite Cowboys of all-time. And Roy Williams will always be one of my favorites for making Emmitt cry.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for making me realize how ************* old I am you ********** dirty ******** ******* OP.

ICP

Reaction score
The good ole days, NFL would never allow a game to be interrupted to that extent now. Dallas would have been penalized for delay of game 10 times.

I had also forgotten how many big pieces of the Super Bowl years were gone by the time he broke the record

stuckindc

Reaction score

Great Great day. My favorite game was the super bowl, when he Won the league MVP and Super Bowl MVP. He did it all while missing the first two games of the season He lead that team and IMO, that 93 Team was the best of them all and one of the all time greats. Just my opinion

stuckindc

Reaction score
It amazes me that fans of the team from back then actually appreciate Emmitt's rushing record.

Those days were my worst times as a Cowboys fan.

To this day, I still despise Emmitt Smith. His last couple/few years in Dallas . . . it wasn't about winning, or making the playoffs, or another Super Bowl. The team was hardly competitive at all. And Jerry's focus, as well as Emmitt's ego's focus, was only about getting the rushing record.

I don't really consider Emmitt the rushing leader, because, pure statistics aside, he was fed the ball just so he could get the record and continued playing long after he was any good. I have a lot more respect for players like Andre Reed, who was angry when his team threw him short, screen passes, just so he could achieve a record in receptions, behind Jerry Rice. Reed ended up #2 in all-time receptions at that time. But he was pissed when they threw him several screen passes just so he could achieve the record.

Fans of Emmitt's rushing record should go back and look at the context, and how it actually happened, and then go look at Andre Reed's reaction when he got the same treatment by his team in order to get the record.

I know many fans love him, but Emmitt Smith will always be one of my least favorite Cowboys of all-time. And Roy Williams will always be one of my favorites for making Emmitt cry.

What did you want him to do? It wasn’t his fault JJ mismanaged the cap and had tons of dead money from over paying as well as some of the worst drafting possible. He kept running , something not many others have done for the length of time he did it. So if he was a bit selfish, he earned it. And it’s. It like rushing for yards is the worst thing in the world. They had Campo as the HC. That should tell you even you need to know

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Oh man...the days of Emmit, Aikman, and Michael were the best.

If we all grow mullets, could we make it be 1992 again? HA

Only thing we have to be proud of recently is Emmitt's Dancing With The Stars Championship.

Tussinman

Reaction score
This list is a few years old. Frank Gore is #3 with 16k yards and Adrian Peterson is 5th place with almost 15k yards
He's retired according to what I find online.
2020 was his final season.

For that chart posted he was still active. That all time leading rusher chart was from the start of the 2018 season so he played another 3 seasons (18,19,20) and got another 2,000 yards

It's amazing that Frank Gore has done what he's done. He tore his ACL in each knee in a 3 yr time span and still has managed to put up those figures.
Gore was an interesting story for sure.

Injuries in college (plus there was a season where you could argue he was only the 3rd best RB on the Miami roster) and he ended up making the all decade team and becoming the #3 all time rusher.