2005 Realistic Off Season That Gets There

boysfanindc

Reaction score
Free Agent Pick Ups

Fred Smoot CB – We definitely have a need at the CB position. Frazier has looked OK, but is on the small side plus we still have a need at nickel. Have seen every game Smoot has played in the NFL. He is a very, very solid cover corner, very good against the run and a top notch team and club house guy. His play for the last 2 years has been at a pro bowl level. He will be expensive but won’t break the bank for if not a pro bowl caliber player then close to pro bowl player.

Darren Howard DE – Would I love to have Abraham sure, but I don’t think we can get him from the Jets. Jets also have Ellis but I believe Howard is a better player with less help around him while he has been in the league. This guy is still young has had an 11 sack year and has averaged about 7 -8 sacks a year and plays the run almost as well as Greg Ellis. I think this guy could be very solid for a pretty reasonable price.

(1st RD Draft) Anttaj Hawthorne DT – This guy is a beast already at 6’3” 315lbs and has a body to handle another 20lbs easily. Antaj is a big bodied individual, who has great athleticism. He’s pretty fast for a guy his size, and should run around 5.0 at the combine. He’s a disruptive force who has looked good despite seeing multiple double-teams this year. He’s the kind of guy who has a wingspan to stifle the running back as he runs past, and is powerful enough to consume two or even three offensive lineman.

(1st RD Draft) Ahmad Brooks OLB – Is only a sophomore but if he comes out would finally give us a play maker at LB. Brooks is a madman on the field and a great tackler to boot. He can play inside or out. A physical freak at 6-4 and 250 pounds with 4.62 speed, Brooks is a playmaker in every sense of the word and to give you an idea of how athletic he is, the Cavaliers actually had him returning kicks!

(2nd RD Draft) Brodney Pool S – Great size...Good speed...Very productive...A playmaker with a nose for the ball...Very good athletic ability...Still has upside and a potential impact player. He is a FS and would allow Roy to move back to where he belongs. Excellent prospect who really stands out on a very talented defensive unit...Could be the best defensive back the Sooners have produced, which is saying something when you consider Andre Woolfolk and Derrick Strait have come out of there the last couple of years.

(4th RD Draft) Ciatrick Fason RB – Still think he may be there in the 4th. Would like to have a second back to spell JJ and this guy is a very good receiver. Good size...Excellent speed...Great receiver out of the backfield...Durable and has never missed a game due to injury...Really had a breakout season in '04 rushing for 1,000+ yards...Still has a lot of upside and his best football is still probably ahead of him.

(5th RD Draft) Vincent Jackson WR – 6’6” 235lbs, KJ won’t be around forever. Excellent size and height...Good speed...Very good athletic ability...Strong...Has good hands...Will jump over defensive backs to make the grab...Also a good punt returner...A playmaker who has a knack for making the big play and scoring touchdowns.

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
sounds good to me...i would take that any day. great job!

chicago JK

Reaction score
not bad but a few points

If Fason enters this draft then I think he is probably a second round pick...maybe first.

Smoot wants to stay in DC and the Commanders want to keep him. He isn't going anywhere. Plus he is probably looking close to 14-16 million up front. It will cost a lot of money for Washington to resign him.

I am by no means an expert either but just a few thought. Like Brooks in round 1 if he declares. I will be surprised if Parcells doesn't go after a DT early in the draft. Don't know all the names yet, but I expect one of our picks will be a DT. Look at the last three NE drafts: Seymour, young Aggie DT and Wilfork. I expect to see us go down a similar path with young big DT's.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Nice post, boysfanindc - I think Jets DT Jason Ferguson is a realistic free agent target.

what school does this Vincent Jackson play for? - sounds intriguing.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
chicago JK said:
La Tuna,
Here is an article about him by Rob Boomer Rang. I don't know maybe like a kid like the Ravens stole in the 6th round. They found a 6'5 receiver who looks like a player for the future.
http://www.westcoastdraft.com/ditr-vincentjackson.html

I was kind of hoping he would stay under the radar screen, but it appears the word is getting out. He would be a steal in the 5th.

On Smoot, the word is the skins and smoot are not talking, if the decide to dump some salary (Brunell) or spend money on the O line and receivers were they are in serious need they may not be able to pay smoot.

I like ferguson, if we can't get smoot I might go ferguson and then go CB round 1, either rolle or jackson.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
boysfanindc said:
I was kind of hoping he would stay under the radar screen, but it appears the word is getting out. He would be a steal in the 5th.

Jackson will be off the board in the first 50 picks, unless he gets hurt between now and then... he is what the NFL is looking for in a WR these days, BIG...

boysfanindc

Reaction score
He is currently rated in the 15 -20 range on most boards I have seen. I don't believe you will see 15-20 WR's go in the first 50 picks. I still think he is rated as a sleeper by most draft boards. See how he does in the combines.

1. Mike Williams, USC *
2. Braylon Edwards, Michigan
3. Mark Clayton, Oklahoma
4. Chris Henry, West Virginia *
5. Craphonso Thorpe, Florida St.
6. Fred Gibson, Georgia
7. Terrence Murphy, Texas A&M
8. Reggie Brown, Georgia
9. Courtney Roby, Indiana
10. Roddy White, U.A.B.
11. Craig Bragg, U.C.L.A.
12. Jerome Mathis, Hampton
13. Josh Davis, Marshall
14. Charles Frederick, Washington
15. J.R. Russell, Louisville
16. Vincent Jackson, Northern Colorado
17. Airese Currie, Clemson
18. Jason Anderson, Wake Forest
19. Geoff McArthur, California
20. Roydell Williams, Tulane
21. Reggie Harrell, T.C.U.

Strengths: Excellent size and height...Good speed...Very good athletic ability...Strong...Has good hands...Will jump over defensive backs to make the grab...Also a good punt returner...A playmaker who has a knack for making the big play and scoring touchdowns.

Weaknesses: Did not play against a top level of competition...May be too big to play wideout in the pros and could grow into a tight end...Isn't a great route runner and doesn't look smooth...Inconsistent and needs to show more effort...Isn't much of a threat to run after the catch.

Notes: Prospect with a lot of upside and potential...Also played basketball in college...One of the top sleeper prospects in the draft and a player on the rise.