2010 Cowboys mock

BlueStarDude

Reaction score
TRADES (not very specific):
Dallas trades their first pick for a high second and a high fourth.

Dallas trades something (their 2011 fourth?), or somebody, for a fifth.

Dallas trades their sixth and seventh round picks to move up in the sixth.

PICKS:
2a (from trade) - Maurkice Pouncey, C/G, Florida
NFLDraftScout.com round projection: 1-2
Should be able to start right away at center or, more likely in Dallas's case, left guard, which would greatly improve the depth on the offensive line as either Kyle Kosier or Andre Gurode move to a backup role.

2b - Mardy Gilyard, WR/KR, Cincinnati
NFLDraftScout.com round projection: 3
Was second in the nation in kickoff return yards and fourth in average. Could eventually be the receiver this offense has been looking for to help stretch the field. If Jordan Shipley's still on the board I wouldn't mind that pick either.

3 - Rodger Saffold, OT, Indiana
NFLDraftScout.com round projection: 3
Has been one of the stars this week at the East-West Shrine Game practices where National Football Post's Wes Bunting named him "Top performer."

4a (from trade) - Brandon Lang, OLB, Troy
NFLDraftScout.com round projection: 4
How can a tweener from Troy not be a good idea? OK, so Lang's not likely to be another DeMarcus Ware, but the times I've watched him play he looks to have upside and be a great value pick in the fourth round. You can't have too many pass rushers.

4b - Myron Lewis, DB, Vanderbilt
NFLDraftScout.com round projection: 4
A bigger cornerback who can add some depth behind Jenkins, Newman, and Scandrick. Has the size, and should have enough awareness, to eventually convert to free safety. You can't have too many corners.

5 (from trade) - Linval Joseph, DT, East Carolina
NFLDraftScout.com round projection: 5-6
At 6'6' and 325 Joseph has the size to play the nose or the five technique in the 3-4. If he can play as well in the pros as he did at East Carolina, this will be a steal.

6 (trade up) - Marcus Easley, WR, Connecticut
NFLDraftScout.com round projection: 5-6
Was the Husky's version of Mils Austin, coming out of "nowhere" mid-season and ending up with 48 receptions, 894 yards (18.6 avg), and 8 TDs. Looked like a not-so-poor man's Hakim Nicks. Would likely need a few seasons to acclimate to the pro game but he was a fixture on the Husky's special teams units as well so he can contribute there in the meantime.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
2191404675_df9fc55ba5.jpg

dillinger319

Striped Leopard
Reaction score
Wow... Dallas trades something for somebody or something.... geesh.. Hey I know it takes alot of time to do one of these but really? Who knows you could be Jerry but thats to much to follow or to hope on lol.... You have us taking two WR's, who are you trading or releasing? We need a safety but you dont have us taking one of those either.... nice try ... Come again.

Reaction score
The only good pick there is Gilyard in the second and he's projected as a slot receiver..instead of lewis in the 4th why not a true ballhawk safety someone like Robert Johnson

BlueStarDude

Reaction score
dillinger319;3251002 said:
Wow... Dallas trades something for somebody or something.... geesh.. Hey I know it takes alot of time to do one of these but really? Who knows you could be Jerry but thats to much to follow or to hope on lol.... You have us taking two WR's, who are you trading or releasing? We need a safety but you dont have us taking one of those either.... nice try ... Come again.

I know. As I said, not too specific. But the fifth for a future fourth that I threw out there isn't unrealistic. I did have a more specific (and important) trade scenario that I scrapped which probably sapped some my energy and definitely too much of time this morning, to wit:

Dallas trades their first (No. 27 overall), their second, their third, and their 2011 first round pick for Oakland's first (No. 8 overall) and fifth.

1 - Anthony Davis, T, Rutgers
Last year Jerry & Co. drafted a lot of special teamers and guys who could compete for a job a couple of seasons down the road. This year I really think the Boys need to make a play to add a potentially great player. Trading down for Pouncey would be nice, too. But, I still don't see Doug Free as the future at left tackle (he played better than I thought he would at right tackle and he could have a future there), and I think we can't put off shoring up that position any longer. Flozell is still better than half of the left tackles around, but he's clearly on the downside and may not be able to hold up much longer.

eightysiX

Reaction score
thats givig up a whole lot. i dont think they do it just because of Free and all the Tackles coming out in this draft.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of Al Davis taking advantage of us - that's just morally wrong.

BlueStarDude

Reaction score
AustnIsMySaviour;3251068 said:
The only good pick there is Gilyard in the second and he's projected as a slot receiver..instead of lewis in the 4th why not a true ballhawk safety someone like Robert Johnson

What don't you like about Pouncey? Gurode's OK, but he has been seriously overrated. He's only the third best center in the NFC East.

I know Gilyard's a little light, but, assuming he's going to succeed in the NFL at all, why can't he be a team's starting flanker after a couple of years of NFL conditioning? Anyway, the return game needs a major bump up, especially with Felix getting more carries, and I'd rather have Gilyard than more uncertainty and somehow end up with Allen Rossum as our option on the pro bowl ballet again next year.

As for Lewis v Johnson: I guess I like Lewis more (probably east coast bias! sorry).

Reaction score
BlueStarDude;3251378 said:
What don't you like about Pouncey? Gurode's OK, but he has been seriously overrated. He's only the third best center in the NFC East.

I know Gilyard's a little light, but, assuming he's going to succeed in the NFL at all, why can't he be a team's starting flanker after a couple of years of NFL conditioning? Anyway, the return game needs a major bump up, especially with Felix getting more carries, and I'd rather have Gilyard than more uncertainty and somehow end up with Allen Rossum as our option on the pro bowl ballet again next year.

As for Lewis v Johnson: I guess I like Lewis more (probably east coast bias! sorry).

I just don't see the use of wasting a pick on a centre that high cause no way Gurode loses his starting role at least not for a couple years. He's locked up till 2013 and he has his ups and downs but hes been productive and is a pro bowler. As for Gilyard I can see him replacing crayton in slot but no way he starts out wide..but I agree he'd be huge upgrade in the return game

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
BlueStarDude;3251319 said:
I know. As I said, not too specific. But the fifth for a future fourth that I threw out there isn't unrealistic. I did have a more specific (and important) trade scenario that I scrapped which probably sapped some my energy and definitely too much of time this morning, to wit:

Dallas trades their first (No. 27 overall), their second, their third, and their 2011 first round pick for Oakland's first (No. 8 overall) and fifth.

1 - Anthony Davis, T, Rutgers
Last year Jerry & Co. drafted a lot of special teamers and guys who could compete for a job a couple of seasons down the road. This year I really think the Boys need to make a play to add a potentially great player. Trading down for Pouncey would be nice, too. But, I still don't see Doug Free as the future at left tackle (he played better than I thought he would at right tackle and he could have a future there), and I think we can't put off shoring up that position any longer. Flozell is still better than half of the left tackles around, but he's clearly on the downside and may not be able to hold up much longer.

We have a winner