2010 NFL Combine: Players Who Will Be Affected Most by 40-Yard Dash by Dan Nelson

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
2010 NFL Combine: Players Who Will Be Affected Most by 40-Yard Dash by Dan Nelson
Dan Nelson
Featured Columnist

Written on February 12, 2010
Scott Boehm/Getty Images Like it or not, the NFL Scouting Combine can significantly affect where a player gets drafted in April.

The 40-yard dash in particular tends to significantly influence where a player is drafted, with wide receivers, running backs, and cornerbacks most affected.

If you're not convinced, just ask Darrius Heyward-Bey and Michael Crabtree. Granted, Al Davis is known for making ill-advised first-round picks, but Heyward-Bey's stock was affected significantly by his fast 40 time.

Crabtree could have been a top-five pick, but not running a 40-yard dash at the combine led to question marks about his speed.

Heyward-Bey, picked ahead of Crabtree, did not pan out—and he is a great example of putting too much stock into a 40-yard dash time.

Chris Johnson is a more positive example. He was picked 24th in Round One in 2008, despite being ranked fifth among running backs and 41st overall by Scouts Inc. Johnson ran the fastest 40 time at the combine at 4.24 seconds.

Regardless of whether it's foolish or not, the fact remains that 40-yard dash times can affect draft stock significantly. Players who choose not to run the dash—or run poorly—often see their stock drop; players who run well often see their stock rise.

This year, there are a few players whose stock could be significantly affected (some positively, some negatively) by their 40-yard dash times.

Players Who Could Be Affected Positively

These are players who will likely maintain their current stock with a solid 40 time, but they have a great chance to improve upon it with a great 40 time.

1. Jacoby Ford—WR, Clemson

Ford is seen as an undersized burner who will likely be a solid returner, but not a No. 1 or 2 receiver. However, Ford has great track speed and could run a sub-4.3 dash. If he is able to do that at the combine, he will significantly improve his stock.

2. Riley Cooper—WR, Florida

Cooper had a solid senior season at Florida, but he is still seen as a mid-round prospect. Cooper himself and a number of others think he can run faster than his public 4.5 time. If he is able to run a 4.4, Cooper could bump his stock up a round.

3. Perrish Cox—CB/S, Oklahoma State

Cox had been rising in many scouts' minds, but his stock took a huge hit at the Senior Bowl. Cox missed curfew twice and is now seen as a red-flag player for character issues. Cox has the ability to run a sub-4.4 on a good day. If he can do that, he could gain back some of his lost stock.

4. Taylor Mays—S, USC

Mays, once considered a top-10 pick, has fallen to a fringe first-rounder. There are many concerns with Mays' ability to play the safety position at the NFL level. With rumored sub-4.4 speed, Mays will have to prove it to improve his stock.

5. Ricky Sapp—DE/OLB, Clemson

Sapp is likely the fastest outside linebacker/defensive end in the draft this year. Right now, Sapp is a fringe first-rounder, but more likely a second-round pick. Sapp has the ability to run a sub-4.5 dash; if he can do that, he may solidify a first-round grade.

Players Who Could Be Affected Negatively

These are players who have a high likelihood of running a poor 40-yard dash—and they need to run a solid time to maintain their current draft stock.

1. Brandon Spikes—LB, Florida

Spikes had a phenomenal college football career. However, his No. 1 question mark is his top-end speed. Spikes plays faster than he is because of his quickness, but his 40 time could hurt his stock. If Spikes can't run below a 4.75, his stock could take a hit and push him deeper into the second round.

2. Jordan Shipley—WR, Texas

Shipley had a phenomenal senior season for Texas. However, he is undersized and does not possess great top-end speed. If Shipley runs in the 4.55 range, his stock will likely take a hit. Teams have trouble with drafting undersized wideouts without great top-end speed.

3. Toby Gerhart—RB, Stanford

Gerhart had a season for the ages at Stanford, and he could very well end up being a solid NFL running back. However, his 40 time could be as high as 4.6 seconds. If that is the case, his stock will likely slip.

4. Javier Arenas—CB, Alabama

Arenas has seen his stock go up after a solid senior season. Arenas made a splash at corner and in the return game. Despite being a solid return man at Alabama, Arenas' 40 time could end up in the 4.55-4.65 range. If this is the case, he may lose his added special teams value in the draft.

5. Charles Scott—RB, LSU

Much like Gerhart, Scott is a big inside runner with below-average top-end speed. Scott will likely run a time in the 4.6 range. Regardless of how teams view him as a solid inside runner, a poor 40 time for a running back never helps his draft stock.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
I like Riley Cooper better than Shipley anyways. Cooper is a great route runner and a phenomenal blocker.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Muhast;3277481 said:
I like Riley Cooper better than Shipley anyways. Cooper is a great route runner and a phenomenal blocker.

Ok here you go shipley vs riley cooper

Jordan Shipley WR Texas 6-0 190 2-3 4.47
Select Other PositionsCenterCornerbacksDefensive EndsDefensive TacklesFree SafetiesFullbacksGuardsInside LinebackersKickersOffensive TacklesOutside LinebackersPuntersQuarterbacksRunning BacksStrong SafetiesTight EndsWide ReceiversJordan Shipley
Height: 6-0 | Weight: 190 | Position:WR | College: Texas Player Profile Draft Tracker Other WR Texas

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange
Latest News
01/07/2010 - BCS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, MATCHUP TO WATCH: Alabama CB Javier Arenas vs. Texas WR Jordan Shipley: Shipley has long been a favorite target for QB Colt McCoy. The two are longtime friends and roommates. Arenas was an All-SEC cornerback who made opponents afraid to challenge him. Two Alabama teammates, Mark Barron and Marquis Johnson, were credited with more passes defended, 17 apiece. But Arenas could match up most frequently with Shipley, who led the Big 12 with 10 touchdowns scored, eight off receptions and two off returns.
01/07/2010 - PLAYERS TO WATCH: WR/PR Jordan Shipley averaged 13 yards per return and broke two runbacks for touchdowns. One of five receivers in the country to snag more than 100 receptions, he averages 104.8 yards per game with 106 receptions (a UT record) and 11 touchdowns.

Riley Cooper WR Florida 6-4 214 5 4.49
Riley Cooper
Height: 6-4 | Weight: 214 | Position:WR | College: Florida Player Profile Draft Tracker Other WR Florida

Latest News
02/11/2010 - PRO POTENTIAL: WR Riley Cooper impressed scouts at the Senior Bowl with his speed and ability to use his body to shield defenders. The 6-foot-3, 215-pound Cooper decided to give up a professional baseball contract with the Texas Rangers to prepare for the NFL draft. Scouts project Cooper as a second-to third-round pick. Cooper also is an excellent downfield blocker who doesn't shy from contact.
01/27/2010 - The other Gator at the Senior Bowl, wide receiver Riley Cooper, said he's ditching professional baseball for the NFL because he loves football and his stock has risen. Cooper signed a $250,000 signing bonus with the Texas Rangers during the summer, money that he will no longer receive. "Just my makeup, my mentality ??? I'm kind of a football player, not a baseball player," said Cooper, who caught 51 passes for 961 yards and nine touchdowns in 2009. The Rangers were due to provide half the bonus money on Jan. 17 when Cooper reported for a physical. Instead Cooper told them "I'm out." Feedback from the NFL has been positive, and Cooper has looked impressive during Senior Bowl workouts. Cooper is training with UF strength coach Mickey Marotti and has signed with Joel Segal, Percy Harvin's agent. Harvin also worked out with Marotti last year. "They say 2nd or 3rd or 4th (round)," Cooper said. "They have me down as a 4.5 in my 40 (yard dash). The way I look at it, all I can do is go up. I'm not a 4.5." - Jeremy Fowler, The Orlando Sentinel

The thing that scares me about Shipley is that his first 2 years, he had hamstring issues and he didnt do that much his first 2 years either.

Issue that scares me about Riley is that he got drafted by the rangers in 2nd round, so where is his first love? is he totally committed to football and not baseball.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3277580 said:
Ok here you go shipley vs riley cooper

Jordan Shipley WR Texas 6-0 190 2-3 4.47
Select Other PositionsCenterCornerbacksDefensive EndsDefensive TacklesFree SafetiesFullbacksGuardsInside LinebackersKickersOffensive TacklesOutside LinebackersPuntersQuarterbacksRunning BacksStrong SafetiesTight EndsWide ReceiversJordan Shipley
Height: 6-0 | Weight: 190 | Position:WR | College: Texas Player Profile Draft Tracker Other WR Texas

Latest News
01/07/2010 - BCS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, MATCHUP TO WATCH: Alabama CB Javier Arenas vs. Texas WR Jordan Shipley: Shipley has long been a favorite target for QB Colt McCoy. The two are longtime friends and roommates. Arenas was an All-SEC cornerback who made opponents afraid to challenge him. Two Alabama teammates, Mark Barron and Marquis Johnson, were credited with more passes defended, 17 apiece. But Arenas could match up most frequently with Shipley, who led the Big 12 with 10 touchdowns scored, eight off receptions and two off returns.
01/07/2010 - PLAYERS TO WATCH: WR/PR Jordan Shipley averaged 13 yards per return and broke two runbacks for touchdowns. One of five receivers in the country to snag more than 100 receptions, he averages 104.8 yards per game with 106 receptions (a UT record) and 11 touchdowns.

Riley Cooper WR Florida 6-4 214 5 4.49
Riley Cooper
Height: 6-4 | Weight: 214 | Position:WR | College: Florida Player Profile Draft Tracker Other WR Florida

Latest News
02/11/2010 - PRO POTENTIAL: WR Riley Cooper impressed scouts at the Senior Bowl with his speed and ability to use his body to shield defenders. The 6-foot-3, 215-pound Cooper decided to give up a professional baseball contract with the Texas Rangers to prepare for the NFL draft. Scouts project Cooper as a second-to third-round pick. Cooper also is an excellent downfield blocker who doesn't shy from contact.
01/27/2010 - The other Gator at the Senior Bowl, wide receiver Riley Cooper, said he's ditching professional baseball for the NFL because he loves football and his stock has risen. Cooper signed a $250,000 signing bonus with the Texas Rangers during the summer, money that he will no longer receive. "Just my makeup, my mentality ??? I'm kind of a football player, not a baseball player," said Cooper, who caught 51 passes for 961 yards and nine touchdowns in 2009. The Rangers were due to provide half the bonus money on Jan. 17 when Cooper reported for a physical. Instead Cooper told them "I'm out." Feedback from the NFL has been positive, and Cooper has looked impressive during Senior Bowl workouts. Cooper is training with UF strength coach Mickey Marotti and has signed with Joel Segal, Percy Harvin's agent. Harvin also worked out with Marotti last year. "They say 2nd or 3rd or 4th (round)," Cooper said. "They have me down as a 4.5 in my 40 (yard dash). The way I look at it, all I can do is go up. I'm not a 4.5." - Jeremy Fowler, The Orlando Sentinel

The thing that scares me about Shipley is that his first 2 years, he had hamstring issues and he didnt do that much his first 2 years either.

Issue that scares me about Riley is that he got drafted by the rangers in 2nd round, so where is his first love? is he totally committed to football and not baseball.

He said he is a football player not baseball. I think he made that clear.

His production in the SEC was impressive, especially when you compare who is throwing the passes. McCoy is a better QB then Tebow.

Shipley is slower, more injury prone, and 2 years older. Cooper is 3-4 inches taller, quicker, younger and a great blocker.

Plus we can probably get Cooper in the 3rd or so.

So Cooper>Shipley.

Not that I necessarily want us to draft either, but if we do I'd much rather see Cooper.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Muhast;3277662 said:
He said he is a football player not baseball. I think he made that clear.

His production in the SEC was impressive, especially when you compare who is throwing the passes. McCoy is a better QB then Tebow.

Shipley is slower, more injury prone, and 2 years older. Cooper is 3-4 inches taller, quicker, younger and a great blocker.

Plus we can probably get Cooper in the 3rd or so.

So Cooper>Shipley.

Not that I necessarily want us to draft either, but if we do I'd much rather see Cooper.

Shipleys a better fit for what we need.

And Cooper is not quicker.

We don't need another 6'4 guy. We need a guy who can make plays out of the slot while boosting our return game as well (most important thing).

So for this team Shipley is the better fit. And so is anyone else who is more versatile.

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
LMAO. Cooper was not taken in the 2nd round by the Rangers. He was a much much later round pick. The 25th.

Stuff like this happens very often. It's amazing how people just throw random crap out there and people take it as fact or believe it.