2010 NFL Mock Draft: Will the Cowboys Draft Jared Odrick with their First Pick?

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
27. Dallas Cowboys - Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State

This isn't a very sexy pick for Dallas, but it's one that makes sense given their draft history.

The Cowboys had their eye on Odrick all week at the Senior Bowl and the 2009 Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year has one of the highest floors in the draft because of his consistency and toughness.

Dallas also needs to add depth, and maybe a starter to their offensive line, but the top of the board doesn't seem to meet that need.

dmoore

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3273863 said:
I really really hope not.

DE depth is like 30545847 on the list of needs for us.

He's got value at our spot and fits our scheme. I can't be mad at it, especially if all the top O-Line guys are gone.

The Realist

Reaction score
Of all positions/need.

I think DL gets on the field the fastest in first year.

You have to give Rat a new deal.

Can we afford Rat and Spears.

Odrick is more versatile cuz he can rush on 3rd down hence he has more value.

RS12

Reaction score

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
RS12;3274017 said:
Isnt this blog written by a fan? If so how does he know who the Cowboys had their eye on? Media was saying it was Iupati. I like Odrick, just saying it is an opinion, no better than ours.

I am not sure who writes it, but I know hos doesnt like the bleacher report, best i remember.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
dmoore;3273870 said:
He's got value at our spot and fits our scheme. I can't be mad at it, especially if all the top O-Line guys are gone.

I still dont think we need a DE in the first round. And I don't see how he fits our scheme if he's a rusher. All we ask our DE's to do is stand up against the run and take on double teams to free our playmakers. You don't need to spend a 1st rounder to find a guy that can do that.

Woods

Reaction score
I had Odrick in my first mock as well.

Sure, I'd prefer to take an OL. But if the top OL are already gone, and if you can't trade out of the spot, you shouldn't reach.

I'd also prefer to take a FS at 27. But again, if the top 2 guys are gone, and then the remaining value is mid-2nd round, there's no point reaching.

Maybe we get lucky and someone drops to us . . . .

The Realist

Reaction score
TheCount;3274214 said:
I still dont think we need a DE in the first round. And I don't see how he fits our scheme if he's a rusher. All we ask our DE's to do is stand up against the run and take on double teams to free our playmakers. You don't need to spend a 1st rounder to find a guy that can do that.

He 6-5/305 and strong.

He can stuff the run and rush the passer some.

Ask Wade and Jerry if they would rather have one dimensional or multi-dimensional players.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3273863 said:
I really really hope not.

DE depth is like 30545847 on the list of needs for us.
Everywhere he has been, Phillips has had an impact DE. Right now, we do not have that. Spears is a quality run stopper but he does not make plays, the same goes for Olshansky. With this likely to be Spears' last year, we could do a lot worse with that choice.

If he is available at our pick in the first round, he is undoubtedly best player available and while he might not be "needed" I would rather much take the best player in the first round and then work on filling needs later.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
TheCount;3274214 said:

I would think after three years with Phillips that people would stop pigeonholing his defenses.

He can do it either way, with big players and smaller, with pass rushers and run stoppers. He proved that at nose with Ratliff when people thought he had to have another Jamal Williams. He had players like Bruce Smith who was not exactly a stay at home type in Buffalo and he could do it again if he had the players capable of doing it.

Odrick is a good player and he makes plays. He was the best lineman at the Senior Bowl and his motor never stops. I would be perfectly happy with that choice as I would know that we got a great prospect at a value position.

The Realist

Reaction score
Alexander;3274367 said:
Everywhere he has been, Phillips has had an impact DE. Right now, we do not have that. Spears is a quality run stopper but he does not make plays, the same goes for Olshansky. With this likely to be Spears' last year, we could do a lot worse with that choice.

If he is available at our pick in the first round, he is undoubtedly best player available and while he might not be "needed" I would rather much take the best player in the first round and then work on filling needs later.

Exactly.........

Could be a huge need a year from now when Spears/Hatcher/Bowen will be UFA's.

Good teams get ahead of the curve on needs/free agents.

Having said all that I like Arthur Jones DT Syracuse on an injury discount.

Big tackle and TFL #'s for a DT/NT.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
While I wouldn't be sky high over this pick, you can never have enough lineman in my opinion so I wouldn't be displeased either. Ratliff's play late in the season has suffered a bit recently which tells me he is wearing down some...maybe this kid can (if he can play inside) reduce his load slightly.

Personally, I am hoping for a trade down as I just don't see any of the top OT's hanging around at #27. Pouncey is a guy who could play from day one and improve the interior line almost immediately.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
The Realist;3274375 said:
Exactly.........

Could be a huge need a year from now when Spears/Hatcher/Bowen will be UFA's.

Good teams get ahead of the curve on needs/free agents.

Having said all that I like Arthur Jones DT Syracuse on an injury discount.

Big tackle and TFL #'s for a DT/NT.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

The Giants proved their Super Bowl year that you can never have too many d-linemen that can make plays.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
The Realist;3274358 said:
He 6-5/305 and strong.

He can stuff the run and rush the passer some.

Ask Wade and Jerry if they would rather have one dimensional or multi-dimensional players.

My point isn't that he isn't a good player, I just don't think he's worth the investment of a first round pick to do what a DE does in the 3-4.

Alexander;3274368 said:
I would think after three years with Phillips that people would stop pigeonholing his defenses.

He can do it either way, with big players and smaller, with pass rushers and run stoppers. He proved that at nose with Ratliff when people thought he had to have another Jamal Williams. He had players like Bruce Smith who was not exactly a stay at home type in Buffalo and he could do it again if he had the players capable of doing it.

Odrick is a good player and he makes plays. He was the best lineman at the Senior Bowl and his motor never stops. I would be perfectly happy with that choice as I would know that we got a great prospect at a value position.

You can call it pigeonholing if you want, I actually like Odrick as a player. It's the position we'd be taking him that I have a problem with as I don't think we would be asking him to do any more than we ask our current DE's to do.

If there would be a change in scheme to utilize him, that's something completely different but if we spend a first on him and he basically ends up playing Spear's role, I think it's a waste of his talent and the pick.

The Realist

Reaction score
The great thing about Wade is he gets players doing what they do best.

If they are strictly run stoppers that's what he has them do.

If they can do more he adjusts his scheme to fit what they do.

He has had 3-4 DE's who can rush the passer at most if not all of his other stops.

Odrick can get after the passer.

I'm a Spears fan, but it might not make financial sense to keep him and Rat.