2010 Senior Prospects - Top 5's

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
NCAA Scouting
2010 Senior Prospects - Top 5's
by Paul Emery
December 15th 2010
http://www.footballdiner.com/ncaa2010seniorprospectstop5s.html
With the regular season in the books, it's time for my initial top 5's by position - many of these prospects will be in Bowl Games, so this doubles as a list of prospects to keep an eye on over Bowl Season. I'll give myself more license to have a few surprises in this format (no DeMarco Murray at RB for example) - whereas I'll use my Top 100 as more of a prediction tool as to who I think the first 100 players drafted will be. There is a difference between who I think will be successful at the next level and who will actually go in the first three rounds.

OT:

Very deep Right Tackle class - but none of the prospects look like top pro Left Tackles
1 Derek Sherrod - Mississippi State
Maybe not a LT - but dominant run blocker who is fine in pass protection unless against pure speed
2 Gabe Carimi - Wisconsin
Big, powerful prospect looks to be an ideal RT prospect for a power team
3 Anthony Castonzo - Boston College
Very similar to Carimi - bends more at the waist in pass protection though, so rates just below him - gets to the second level very well
4 Jason Pinkston - Pittsburgh
May have to move inside to Guard - but has a nice initial punch
5 DeMarcus Love - Arkansas
If you grade him on his flashes, he would be higher - but wildly inconsistent from play to play
Sleeper Lee Ziemba - Auburn In a very deep RT field, he will be good value late in day two or early day three - gets to the second level very quickly

OG:

There is some talent here, but no real depth
1 John Moffitt - Wisconsin
Dominant and powerful prospect who has superb pass protection technique
2 Mike Pouncey - Florida
Has struggled technique wise at Center - needs to show he can return to his Junior form at Guard in an All-Star game
3 Ben Ijalana - Villanova
Dominant at his level of competition - has long arms so could be a Tackle - flexible - needs to work on his initial punch
4 Ricky Henry - Nebraska
Used as a pulling Guard a lot by Nebraska - feet may limit him, but powerful type will suit some teams
5 Rodney Hudson - Florida State
To be honest, I wasn't planning on having him in - but it's a poor class so he gets in based on his athletic ability - has horrible technique though
Sleeper Darius Morris - Temple Has been playing RT, but projects inside - has some power and could surprise

OC:

Not a great group - quite a few later round "battlers" to try and pick through
1 Stefen Wisniewski - Penn State
Can also play Guard - good in pass protection - can lunge too much as a run blocker
2 Brandon Fusco - Slippery Rock
Has good size and power - played at a lower level of competition, but has more upside than most others
3 Kristofer O'Dowd - USC
Like Hudson, I wasn't planning on him being here - but he is better than the battlers - might need to move to Guard (legs are too long)
4 J.C. Brignone - Mississippi State
Works hard to use correct technique - struggles against top quickness - but decent run blocker
5 Colin Baxter - Arizona
Needs to get stronger - handles quickness, but struggles with power - could use a year on a practice squad
Sleeper Alex Linnenkohl - Oregon State Was very impressive early in the season - but hasn't kept up that level of play - still has some talent

DE:

There's some real talent here - for both 3-4 and 4-3 teams
1 Adrian Clayborn - Iowa
Has been double teamed all year so is down statistically, but is still a top prospect
2 Cameron Heyward - Ohio State
Run a 3-4 defense - need a DE? Here's your man - has prototypical 3-4 DE size and technique - plus NFL bloodlines
3 Allen Bailey - Miami (Fl.)
Has the speed to turn the corner - but also can anchor in the run game - has been used at DT some which hasn't helped his sack total
4 Ryan Kerrigan - Purdue
Could also be a 3-4 OLB - but I think he'll be better with his hand down. Powerful player with a non-stop motor
5 Cameron Jordan - California
Shows technique to play 3-4 DE - but does he have the frame? More power than speed - like Kerrigan has a non-stop motor
Sleeper Jabaal Sheard - Pittsburgh To have a guy with his talent outside the top five shows how deep this class is - has bloomed as a Senior with Greg Romeus hurt

DT:

This is also a very good class - again, something for everyone
1 Jerrell Powe - Mississippi
NT prospect - planet theory applies - there just aren't many people on the planet who are this big and can move as well
2 Drake Nevis - LSU
Has dominated SEC competition all year - very quick off the ball - ideal one gap type
3 Stephen Paea - Oregon State
Has been double teamed and not as productive this year - but has a good combination of power and quickness
4 Marvin Austin - North Carolina
Has been suspended all year - flashed top ability last year - has some boom or bust about him, but could be special
5 Christian Ballard - Iowa
Can also play DE - but I prefer him inside - plays on a fine DL - has been very disruptive all season
Sleeper Jarvis Jenkins - Clemson I think he can project to NT - has good size and can hold up against the double team - shows stack and shed ability

CB:

There are some fine man prospects in this group - another deep defensive position
1 Prince Amukamara - Nebraska
I'm not quite as high on him as others - but he's still good - needs work on his bump, it's not clean all the time and his break on the ball
2 Jimmy Smith - Colorado
Better with his bump than Amukamara - could even overtake the Nebraska man with a good Senior Bowl showing
3 Ras-I Dowling - Virginia
Hasn't played much this year - currently out with a broken ankle - when healthy he's a top talent
4 Curtis Brown - Texas
Another fine man to man coverage prospect - has good speed and a nice break on the ball
5 Davon House - New Mexico State
More of a zone type - needs a Safety over the top - but excellent when he can keep everything in front of him - possible FS
Sleeper Shareece Wright - USC Press corner who is physical - has technique lapses - but has significant upside

S:

This isn't as good as last year's class and is the weakest defensive unit
1 DeAndre McDaniel - Clemson
Very active prospect who is at home in the box or playing a deeper role
2 Jaiquawn Jarrett - Temple
Has a great burst up to support the run - has range laterally and shows he can cover man to man
3 Deunta Williams - North Carolina
Shows a nice burst to the ball in coverage - suspended for the first four games, so off the field red flags
4 Ahmad Black - Florida
His height drops him - but he's has a good vertical leap is very active and physical
5 Eric Hagg - Nebraska
Has been impressive this season - very reliable tackler and also has man coverage experience
Sleeper Nate Williams - Washington Limited in man coverage - but a big hitting Strong Safety who could even play some nickel LB