2015/2016 salary cap situation

daveferr33

Reaction score
I don't know how we can recognize that it is good to be under the cap without recognizing that it is bad to be over the cap.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Free's salary is guaranteed if he remains on the roster past March. He's not going to be a June 1st cut. They have to cut him now if they're going to do it.
That won't happen but finding his replacement is priority #2 for our OL. The big question mark is Parnell and Weems. Within the next 12 months or so we need to determine if either of these men are quality NFL starting material or strictly backup type players. In either case, Free's salary probably gets him moved off next years roster so adding another OT will be on the shopping list.

theSHOW

Reaction score
No to moving Dez. Won't happen and is a horrible idea.
The reason not many teams invest that much into a receiver is that there isn't many receivers as talented or worth the money as Dez. I can think of 3.
Otherwise, good post.

Ahhh here we go on the Dez thing .... and I know he is your guy ... so we but heads on him
I think Smith is more important .... and the team needs defenders and offensive linemen.
I think Dez is a head case that will get worse when he gets more money
I don't think we should pay top 5 contract price for top 5 potential when he wont dig his head out of his butt.
I don't think you give a huge contract to anyone on an 8-8 team ...... short of a 25 year old top 5 left tackle ( that hasn't missed a game)
want more reasons? Cause I can keep going on the why nots....... as to keep Dez ..... and got a lot more on the why too Trade Dez
and the single response I will get back .... IS his potential
potential is a draft pick not a 10-15 million a year player

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Ahhh here we go on the Dez thing .... and I know he is your guy ... so we but heads on him
I think Smith is more important .... and the team needs defenders and offensive linemen.
I think Dez is a head case that will get worse when he gets more money
I don't think we should pay top 5 contract price for top 5 potential when he wont dig his head out of his butt.
I don't think you give a huge contract to anyone on an 8-8 team ...... short of a 25 year old top 5 left tackle ( that hasn't missed a game)
want more reasons? Cause I can keep going on the why nots....... as to keep Dez ..... and got a lot more on the why too Trade Dez
and the single response I will get back .... IS his potential
potential is a draft pick not a 10-15 million a year player

Head case. Ok. I couldn't disagree more.
Passion is something we need. Badly.
8-8 with some very close games isn't far from 10-6.
Potential. Yes he hasn't reached it but is a game changer and one of the best already. He's a young cornerstone to our team. Passion like the playmaker which is contagious. Especially as he is now a vet and a leader.
This year will be big. His only issue may be injuries.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
I say let muarry free and maybe carter walk... and romo needs the ware treatment... paycut or cut

NJ22

Reaction score
Makes you think they should invest in another young WR in the middle rounds. The front office has been way too reactive the last two decades for my taste.

I love Dez but I agree it would be dumb to not take advantage of a great wr draft. They should look for Murray and frees replacements too.

theSHOW

Reaction score
Potential. Yes he hasn't reached it but is a game changer and one of the best already. He's a young cornerstone to our team. Passion like the playmaker which is contagious. Especially as he is now a vet and a leader.

Dez is going to demand a contract worth $10 million per year. Is he worth that much to Dallas? No. So shop him while he's cheap. We might not get St. Louis' 2nd overall pick, but we just might get something that will help this team going into the future, rather than another over priced Diva that doesn't produce what his contract says he's worth. I'm all for trading Dez if we can get the value. The only thing I wonder about is whether or not he has ruined his trade value to the point that it wouldn't make sense for us to trade him.
For example, if Detroit were to offer Megatron (I'm not saying they would or wouldn't, it's just an example) to the Rams for their first round and their second round pick this year and another second round pick next year, does anyone doubt that the Rams would jump all over that trade?
But with Dez, even though he has great potential, it's doubtful we could get the Rams to trade this year's first round pick only for Dez. But if we were to trade Dez, we would need to replace him through the draft or through free agency.
So the question is: how much value would we absolutely need for the trade to work out for us?

We need to sign Leary also. I don't think he will ever get a massive contract because of his knee ... but right now would be prime to redo him
He's a hella player and learns fast on to move...from practice squad to removing the scheduled starter to unemployed .... says it all right their.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That won't happen but finding his replacement is priority #2 for our OL. The big question mark is Parnell and Weems. Within the next 12 months or so we need to determine if either of these men are quality NFL starting material or strictly backup type players. In either case, Free's salary probably gets him moved off next years roster so adding another OT will be on the shopping list.

They should have given Parnell more playing time in 2013 to see if he could replace Free in 2014.

Cebrin

Reaction score

It'd be sad to see Dez go. Honestly, he's become my favorite Cowboy. He reminds me of Mike with his rough play and passion for the game. I couldn't imagine a receiver I'd want more on my team. Once more, I believe he'd deal with the Cowboys respectively come resigning time because he wants to be a Dallas Cowboy and nothing else. I agree his emotions are infectious. I want the whole team to look like someone stole their Moms purse when we lose. Not knocking anyone for choosing to consider trading though. I understand the stance. I just hope it doesn't happen.

theSHOW

Reaction score
It'd be sad to see Dez go. Honestly, he's become my favorite Cowboy. He reminds me of Mike with his rough play and passion for the game. I couldn't imagine a receiver I'd want more on my team. Once more, I believe he'd deal with the Cowboys respectively come resigning time because he wants to be a Dallas Cowboy and nothing else. I agree his emotions are infectious. I want the whole team to look like someone stole their Moms purse when we lose. Not knocking anyone for choosing to consider trading though. I understand the stance. I just hope it doesn't happen.

I hear ya lol. But the example you used was poorly chosen. Not sure if Dez would care less if his moms purse was taken.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
Why? He isn't overpaid and you don't cut franchise QB's.

Dude doesnt deserve 15+ mil a year... he is in his mid 30s... and I dont remember the last time he played all 16 (at least had an injury that made everyone hold their breath)... which means we almost have to fork out money to his backup cause he will see the feild... not saying this offseason... but next offseason I think a serious conversation needs to be had.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I don't know how we can recognize that it is good to be under the cap without recognizing that it is bad to be over the cap.

It's all about timing. Dallas is always way over the cap in February, but they write their contracts to restructure so it looks worse than it is. If you clear 40m in cap space with restructures and only add 8m in pro-rations that is still a net gain of 32m.

Either way, Dallas is way below the expected cap in 2015 compared to where they have been in recent years. There are still a lot of moving parts and extensions, but they are in a better situation than before.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I have got a question about how oer the cap computes our room.

For 2015-16 it is saying we have about 111m committed and with a projected 140m cap we have about 29m in room. We only have 39 contracts on the book for next year. So is that 111m just for those 39 players or do we need to add in 12 minimum hits of $500k to get our true number? That would be about another 6m, which would truly mean we only would have about 23m in room.

Just curious, it does make a little difference overall. I do expect us to end up with a fair amount of cap space carried over from this year unless we do redo Dez and/or Smith prior to this season.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Dez is going to demand a contract worth $10 million per year. Is he worth that much to Dallas? No. So shop him while he's cheap. We might not get St. Louis' 2nd overall pick, but we just might get something that will help this team going into the future, rather than another over priced Diva that doesn't produce what his contract says he's worth. I'm all for trading Dez if we can get the value. The only thing I wonder about is whether or not he has ruined his trade value to the point that it wouldn't make sense for us to trade him.
For example, if Detroit were to offer Megatron (I'm not saying they would or wouldn't, it's just an example) to the Rams for their first round and their second round pick this year and another second round pick next year, does anyone doubt that the Rams would jump all over that trade?
But with Dez, even though he has great potential, it's doubtful we could get the Rams to trade this year's first round pick only for Dez. But if we were to trade Dez, we would need to replace him through the draft or through free agency.
So the question is: how much value would we absolutely need for the trade to work out for us?

We need to sign Leary also. I don't think he will ever get a massive contract because of his knee ... but right now would be prime to redo him
He's a hella player and learns fast on to move...from practice squad to removing the scheduled starter to unemployed .... says it all right their.

We disagree. I'm not sure how he's hurt his value either.
Also, the draft pick you want to trade for is no sure thing. Not even close. It's a gamble. Dez is a proven probowler soon to be all pro. IMO.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Dude doesnt deserve 15+ mil a year... he is in his mid 30s... and I dont remember the last time he played all 16 (at least had an injury that made everyone hold their breath)... which means we almost have to fork out money to his backup cause he will see the feild... not saying this offseason... but next offseason I think a serious conversation needs to be had.

Kinda hard not to have an injury when we had one of the worst offensive lines in football. I'd say hats off to the dude for playing thru it. He's a soldier. Troy Aikman went thru it before they built him a wall. We'll see after this year what he has left. I'll admit, his back worries me. However, everyone was worried about Peyton Mannings neck and look how that turned out. Certainly need to start grooming a QB for the future no question.

dallasdave

Reaction score
No to moving Dez. Won't happen and is a horrible idea.
The reason not many teams invest that much into a receiver is that there isn't many receivers as talented or worth the money as Dez. I can think of 3.
Otherwise, good post.

Thank you , DEZ is the best player the Cowboys have and should never be in trade discussion.