2015 Draft RB examination

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Its a good possibility all of our draft picks make the team, which is nearly unheard of... But being greedy I wish we had taken a RB somewhere.

The one guy that could be giving us an extra wrinkle right now is Matt Jones. He could be the angry tough yard guy we seemingly miss right now. At Florida, everyone knew he was running the ball and he still got yards in the SEC. Big bodied tough guy IMO.

Chaz Green may become our next swing tackle or replacement at RT, but it will be next year before we find out. 20-20 Hindsight...Jones may have been a better pick, but we cant make that call yet on two rookies.

Examining the Rb's who were drafted, and looking for someone who could get cut, that would be a nice addition to the PS for depth, is Mike Davis. He may not make the squad in San Fran which would be a nice young addition for us I think. I would be interested to know if he can play ST's.

Dallas was interested in Davis' Pro Day:
http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/cfb/93770/mike-davis
"Davis was not running through drills and struggled to get through pass-catching drills," Pauline wrote. "Interesting note - the Dallas Cowboys sent a coach to specifically observe Davis. During the workout, which was run by the Tampa Bay Bucs, the Cowboys' coach was requesting for Davis to run specific drills. Shades of Tom Savage/Bill O'Brien from last year?" One would think Dallas takes a superior RB prospect earlier in the draft, but keep this note in mind if they pass on runners in the first few rounds."

Davis was selected one pick ahead of Damien Wilson. He may have been the RB they wanted. Wouldn't it be fitting if we wind up getting him anyway?

49er depth chart the way i see it:
Hyde, Bush, Hunter -- Davis and our Boy Phillip Tanner may not make it

Another interesting note, David Cobb was selected just a few picks later at the top of the 5th round, and he appears to be putting the heat on Bishop Sankey for the starting gig in Tenn. Dallas prob had Damien Wilson and Cobb ranked pretty close on their board and decided to go defense there since so many backs had been taken already and hoped they could get one in round 5. LBer was also a larger spot of need with Rolo's issues and the departure of Carter.

Rookie RB updates:
Lots of hamstring issues for these guys
Gurley - have to wait and see, but we never had a shot at him anyways.
Gordon - may eventually become the starter. I still think Dallas was hoping he was the pick. But didn't fall far enough.
round 3 - Tevin Coleman - hammy limited PS play
round 3 - Duke Johnson - hurt hammy - concussion
round 3 - Ajayi - hurt hammy
round 3 - David Johnson - hurt hammy
round 4 - Jeremy Langford - fighting for a spot, but makes team as ST guy probably
round 5 - Karlos Williams - hurt ..some kind of surgery on abdomen
round 4 - Buck Allen - still fumbling the ball
round 5 - David Cobb may start in Tenn but has an injury also apparently
round 4 - Jalston Fowler Tenn other draft pick is right behind him as a short yardage guy and possible FB

So all in all, if we had drafted any of these guys, and the same injury occurred to them, we would still have the same RB outlook going to game 4 of preseason.

As for me, I'm hoping that Davis hits the streets, and we pick him up. He has some intriguing upside.

Last edited:

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Some updates for your chart.

Gordon Is the starter and early down back.
Dike Concussion
Ajayi Overrated
Johnson Played extremely well in 3rd preseason game
Cobb In a walking boot with a calf issue...will not be the starter coming out of the gate

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Cobb, Allen and Davis were my three picks. I liked Cobb the best of the three, but convinced myself the other two were ahead of him in the draft (which is how it worked out).

I will be surprised if San Fran releases Davis.

Hailmary

Reaction score
Cobb, Allen and Davis were my three picks. I liked Cobb the best of the three, but convinced myself the other two were ahead of him in the draft (which is how it worked out).

I will be surprised if San Fran releases Davis.

Yea, I'm keeping a close eye on Davis as well. Hyde and Bush are locks. The third spot will come down to Hunter and Davis and I get the feeling it's going to Davis. The aussie will probably make the team also, but I don't think it will affect the 9ers decision concerning the other backs. He's probably being looked as a special teamer more than anything else at this point.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
wow, all those hammy's. wonder what the threads would be on any of those if drafted. Probably would get a pass is my guess.

We never had a shot at getting Gurley or Gordon, just hope that they fell to us.
Some of the others, many of us liked. I liked TJ Yeldon too. But after the 1st few rounds, was any of the RB's left, truly were going to be better than what we have. Other than younger and what we thought was no injury history. Unless some had any in college. But now, seems a hammy epidemic with them.

Aven8

Reaction score
Don't forget Hayne in SF. Even though he's a returner, he kooked good at RB as well. So they have a lot of depth.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
I'd be happy with Mike Davis.

Anyone know how David Johnson is doing in Arizona? I highly doubt he gets cut as they needed a bigger back to go with Andre Ellington, but I was pretty high on him pre-draft.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Ironically perhaps the most likely guy to be back is Phillip Tanner.

He lives locally, knows the system and can help some on ST.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Most drafted running backs end up being Philip Tanner. Every year.

And yet, next year we'll pump all 12 of them up like the next Walter Payton.

Rinse and repeat.

Most draft choices ending up being Phillip Tanner or worse. Finding ones who stick especially later in the draft is a combination of good scouting and pure luck.

I liked Cobb, Davis and Allen coming out at RB, but it doesn't mean anything will come of them. And one I didn't like near as much might go on to have the most success in this league.

Frankly, we don't know where the next "Walter Payton" will come from or when, so I have no problem with fans pumping up players. That's what tends to happen before the draft.

I tend to take a more cautious approach myself, rather than saying any player in the draft will be the next big thing.

Knotamus

Reaction score
Yep.. And some folks around here seem to think everything would have been ok if we would have just Drafted anyone of these guys.. Smh.

Please remove finger from the panic button.

Trust the process.

Plankton

Reaction score
Matt Jones ran for all of 1400 yards in three seasons at Florida. I'm not sure where the gaining yards component against SEC defenses come into play with him - he had health issues as a sophomore, and couldn't beat out Mike Gillislee as a freshman. He was never fully entrusted with the RB job - and his stats were middling at best. I think he was a colossal reach in the third round.

visionary

Reaction score
Good post
I desperately wanted a RB but not over jones or Gordon