News: 2017 Pre Senior Bowl Draft Plan – Reinventing The Defense

CCBoy

Reaction score
2017 Pre Senior Bowl Draft Plan – Reinventing The Defense

http://cowboyszone.com/2017/01/2017-pre-senior-bowl-draft-plan-reinventing-the-defense.html

The Cowboys found themselves sitting at home watching the Atlanta Falcons win the NFC Championship in a game that was over before it even started. After an agonizing loss to the Green Bay Packers in the Divisional Round weekend that ended the Dallas Cowboys great season the Packers went into Atlanta and had no shot against the red hot Falcons. When you lose in the first round of the playoffs it usually means you have holes on your team that need to be filled in order to succeed next year. Fortunately for the Cowboys most of their key offensive positions aren’t going anywhere anytime soon, but on the other side of the ball is a different story.

With Brandon Carr, Morris Claiborne, Barry Church, JJ Wilcox, Terrell McClain, Justin Durant, and Jack Crawford all set to be free agents plenty of holes on the defense will needed to be filled. If you’re a stranger to the Cowboys franchise I’ll break the news to you, the cornerback and defensive end position of the Cowboys are the weakest link and need to be addressed ASAP. Good thing I have a plan that could fix most of the Cowboys defensive woes only using the NFL Draft.

Out of these seven guys listed above I have a pretty good feeling that three will be back. These three have a key role in my off season plan.

Brandon Carr

Whether you like it or not Brandon Carr will likely be back wearing a star next year. A lot of people don’t like Carr as a player and some of that is understandable but with that being said Carr could easily be considered one of the Cowboys defensive MVP’s for the 2016 season. Carr played in all seventeen games and rarely came off the field. Not only did Carr play in every game he also played at an extremely high level while both Morris Claiborne and Orlando Scandrick dealt with injuries. Carr isn’t a player who will lead the league in interceptions or even be a shut down corner but he will be out their for every practice and will play in every game.

Barry Church

Barry Church had a fantastic season (when healthy) playing the strong safety position. Church was third on the team in tackles and lead the team in interceptions. Church is the definition of a team guy and could certainly see the Cowboys offering Church a contract that makes sense for both parties...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Some decisions won’t be as difficult, Dallas likely won’t be able to re-sign Ronald Leary, who had his best season and outplayed prized free agent OL La’el Collins. Leary’s price tag will be too high for the Cowboys even though the line play and running game were better with him playing left guard.

The Cowboys are almost certainly done with Rolando McClain, Gavin Escobar and Justin Durant among others well.

Free agency and the draft will help replace some of their 18 free agents, but some of these guys have played an integral part for the Dallas Cowboys over the past few years. The key is to figure out who to keep and who to allow to walk away.

The Cowboys need to build on this season, not fall back into mediocrity. Keeping the right pieces will go a long way ensuring that happens.

Here’s a guess as to who the Cowboys will keep: Brandon Carr, J.J. Wilcox, Terrell McClain and Kellen Moore.

http://cowboyszone.com/2017/01/off-season-starts-from-within-for-cowboys.html

CCBoy

Reaction score
...As the Cowboys coaches prepare to coach the NFC Pro Bowl team, the scouts have been at the Senior Bowl and are knee deep in preparation for the NFL Scouting Combine at the end of the month. With the way that the season ended, many people feel like the team should concentrate on the defense to ease the Aaron Rodger memories sketched in Cowboys fans brains. The reality is that the Cowboys recent history has shown that they will take gradual growth rather than risk a bad contract or over emphasize a side of the ball over best available talent. This is the moment that fans should not fall for the Smoke & Mirrors of a lost season...

...When the NFL Draft rolls around in April and the Cowboys are on the clock, the real fans will be hoping that the team drafts building blocks that will sustain this team over the next two to four years to keep the talent level at a high level. The organization is in good hands with Will McClay and his scouting staff that evaluates the college talent on a year to year basis. As fans, we want immediate satisfaction of playoff wins and Super Bowl champions but having a program that churns out drafted players that produce at a high level will suffice enough for me.

As the team moves into the draft and free agency part of the offseason, all that I ask is that they add the right talent to allow them to compete at a high level and sustain the talent and systems that will make the organization a perennial playoff contender because what most NFL fans have learned is that once the playoffs come, it’s open season!

http://cowboyszone.com/2017/01/smoke-mirrors.html

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I can see us keeping Moore at QB for the time being but prolonging the backup situation with Sanchez seems a waste to me. I think we might be better off to welcome either a draft pick at QB rather than him, although it been said that Sanchez has value as a tutor for Dak. Seems to me that Moore could fill that need just a well with his overall knowledge of the position but of course, that's yet to be determined. A rookie QB should also likely be acquired to eventually replace Moore, imho.

RandyOh

Reaction score
I can see us keeping Moore at QB for the time being but prolonging the backup situation with Sanchez seems a waste to me. I think we might be better off to welcome either a draft pick at QB rather than him, although it been said that Sanchez has value as a tutor for Dak. Seems to me that Moore could fill that need just a well with his overall knowledge of the position but of course, that's yet to be determined. A rookie QB should also likely be acquired to eventually replace Moore, imho.
I agree. Moore won against a division rival with much less then he would have had to work with this year. Hes good enough to get you a win or 2 if Prescott has to miss 3 or 4 games. I would do what the Pats do which is draft a QB every other year, develop them, then either trade them away for picks or let them get signed by a QB needy team and get a mid round comp pick back.

Carson

Reaction score
I agree. Moore won against a division rival with much less then he would have had to work with this year. Hes good enough to get you a win or 2 if Prescott has to miss 3 or 4 games. I would do what the Pats do which is draft a QB every other year, develop them, then either trade them away for picks or let them get signed by a QB needy team and get a mid round comp pick back.

Not to nitpick, but Cassel won the game you're thinking of. Moore is 0-2.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Not to nitpick, but Cassel won the game you're thinking of. Moore is 0-2.
Ah thats right. He still had a 435 passing yard & 3 td game. He did throw a couple picks tho. much better showing then the waste of roster spot Sanchez when he got his number called.

Carson

Reaction score
Ah thats right. He still had a 435 passing yard & 3 td game. He did throw a couple picks tho. much better showing then the waste of roster spot Sanchez when he got his number called.

No worries bud. I was at that game that's why I remember lol