2018 College World Series thread

LoneStarDawg

Reaction score
I think it’s Mississippi State/Arkansas. For those who don’t know Mississippi State swept the regular season series between the two.

DFWJC

Reaction score
3 remaining

Arkansas beat Florida to advance to the Championship series

Oregon St beat Miss St . Winner take all between them to see who faces Arkansas

DFWJC

Reaction score
So, the final best of three series for the championship begins on Monday

Congrats to all 8 College World Series finalists
Great season.

But it1’s down to two teams

Arkansas
Oregon State

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OmaHogs! OmaHogs!! OmaHogs!!!

In case you haven't been following this, the Hog fans have invaded Omaha and been dubbed the OmaHogs. They've always traveled well because they need to leave the state to replenish breeding stock because other than Kentucky, Arkansans are the only ones that can have a family reunion with 8 people but have 16 relatives represented.

This should be a fun series and hopefully the Hog fans can get The Wave going right tonight. Their Wave was crashing on the beach Friday night.

I used to love baseball and watching the Series has returned part of that because they don't drag the damn game out like MLB. Sorry but why in the hell does a player have to step out and adjust his gloves again after taking a ball or strike?

I do not follow college baseball but my neighbor is a retired baseball coach and son of former UT great Cliff Gustafson and he told me when the tournament started that my Hogs were his pick to take it all. So, I will take his opinion and the way our football team has sucked, this is big time stuff. Hell, I'd listen to curling finals on the radio if they had a chance to erase the football crap.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Weather delay, the last time that happened OSU went on a tear and started averaging 12 runs a game.

LoneStarDawg

Reaction score
Was hoping Mississippi State could find a way to beat Oregon State, but it didn’t happen. Mississippi State swept Arkansas during regular season.

Taggy12

Reaction score
Weather delay, the last time that happened OSU went on a tear and started averaging 12 runs a game.

Arkansas had been delay total 47 hours vs Oregon state 39 hours.

Arkansas play like they want it more.....

Go hogs one more win. Im debate if I should call in and go to game or trying leave work early . As im only ten min away

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Arkansas had been delay total 47 hours vs Oregon state 39 hours.

Arkansas play like they want it more.....

Go hogs one more win. Im debate if I should call in and go to game or trying leave work early . As im only ten min away
They screwed the pooch with too many heroes on a pop up that would have given them the title. I wouldn't bet on them to take the third game, they haven't played well enough. OSU is a better team.

Taggy12

Reaction score
They screwed the pooch with too many heroes on a pop up that would have given them the title. I wouldn't bet on them to take the third game, they haven't played well enough. OSU is a better team.

Yea they choke it

DFWJC

Reaction score
I assumed the Hogs had won at least one College World Series title in their history.
But no. Runner up is their best finish

They may have already blown it with that 2 out fielding disaster, but I'm pulling for Arkansas to win game three.

Oregon is a great program, but they had that same kind of blind luck the first time they faced North Carolina in the championship series in 2006
--very late game 2
--Carolina already up 1-0 in the series.
--But the 2nd baseman booted a routine 2 out grounder and they ended up losing the game and eventually the series.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I assumed the Hogs had won at least one College World Series title in their history.
But no. Runner up is their best finish

They may have already blown it with that 2 out fielding disaster, but I'm pulling for Arkansas to win game three.

Oregon is a great program, but they had that same kind of blind luck the first time they faced North Carolina in the championship series in 2006
--very late game 2
--Carolina already up 1-0 in the series.
--But the 2nd baseman booted a routine 2 out grounder and they ended up losing the game and eventually the series.
The problem is the Hogs have been relying on the quirky parts of the game to get runs and that cannot be trusted. After watching both teams and particularly that relief pitching for OSU, the Hogs are going to need some luck. OSU just has too many weapons and the ones that got the Hogs into it are not showing up.

The shame of it is AR is a good defensive and fielding team, that play was not indicative of their usual. My heart sank with that play and I knew they were going to lose as most teams do when luck begins to run out. Those three players did not get any sleep last night. I'll pull for the Hogs but I would not bet on them.

The good news for AR is they've got some good young talent and they've got the chance to get back next season and if they lose this, as I believe they will, that can serve as additional motivation.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Congrats to Oregon State
They did have the best record in the country.
But man, that possible series winning mis-play by Arkansas with 2 outs in the 9th last night was a true gift.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
one missed play in weds nite was the RF ball all the way

Might have been, but the second baseman was the one who mis-played it. He may have thought the first baseman was not going to get there in time and so he had to make the play. In doing so, he came up on the ball so aggressively, the right-fielder backed off. If you're gonna run over somebody to get the ball, at least get a glove on it.

I only saw the play once, so I don't know if the RF was calling him off or not, but he if didn't, he should have.

All that being said, they still had their fate in their own hands. Sure, they didn't get the out on that play, but they still could have gotten the guy out on subsequent pitches. Even when they didn't and lost the game, they still had the next game to play. They just didn't get it done.