2018 NFL Mock Draft: Sean Dyer’s First-Round Mock 3.0

garyv

Reaction score
Interesting Draft hmmmmm.....

https://empirewritesback.com/2018/04/24/2018-nfl-mock-draft-sean-dyer-first-round-mock-3-0/

19. Calvin Ridley
WR
Alabama
cowboys.png

Scouting Report

Previous picks: 1.0 – Da’Ron Payne, DT, Alabama; 2.0 – D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland

After releasing Dez Bryant, wide receiver became the obvious biggest need for the Dallas Cowboys and with the top receiver prospect still on the board, Calvin Ridley is a no-brainer. Ridley was underutilized at times while at Alabama but he’s the consensus top wideout in this year’s class.

Dallas’s offensive line isn’t quite what it used to be but with Ezekiel Elliott on the field, the running game is just fine. However, the Cowboys need to add weapons for Dak Prescott in the passing game. They added Allen Hurns to go along with Cole Beasley but tight end Jason Witten is nearing the end of his NFL career. Ridley will give America’s team a young offensive weapon who can grow with Prescott and Elliott.

Derwin James
S
Florida State
browns.png

Scouting Report
Previous picks: 1.0 – Derrius Guice, RB, LSU (Detroit Lions); 2.0 – Derrius Guice, RB, LSU (Lions)

With Derwin James falling, the Cleveland Browns flex their draft capital muscles and come get one of the most talented players in the draft. James is a top 10 talent, but if he slides past Tampa Bay, there isn’t a team with an obvious need at safety. The Browns trade picks No. 33 and 64 to draft James and pair him with recently-acquired Damarious Randall, who Cleveland is moving from cornerback to free safety.

James and Jabrill Peppers are similar players in that both excel in the box and could move to linebacker. James is better in coverage so Peppers could be the one who moves closer to the line of scrimmage. Cleveland is just looking to add talented football players and having Randall, Peppers, and James all in the same secondary is not a bad thing. Leaving the first round with Sam Darnold, Bradley Chubb, and Derwin James is also a huge home run.

The Detroit Lions could easily draft Derrius Guice here, but with Saquon Barkley being the only running back taken thus far, they should be able to get either Guice or Sony Michel at No. 33.

Gaede

Reaction score
I honestly question the sanity of any writer that claims WR is the “biggest” need for the Cowboys.

Have they looked at our LB depth chart for example?
I disagree. Our WR group is terrible.

Sydla

Reaction score
I disagree. Our WR group is terrible.

We have 1.5 LBs on the roster.

Unless you are going to try to argue Wilson is a legit LB. or our big free agent pick up, Thomas.

As bad as you think WR is, LB is worse.

Gaede

Reaction score
We have 1.5 LBs on the roster.

Unless you are going to try to argue Wilson is a legit LB. or our big free agent pick up, Thomas.

As bad as you think WR is, LB is worse.
I guess. But I am not confident in our wr Corp at all, and I think they're harder to find than lb

Sydla

Reaction score
I guess. But I am not confident in our wr Corp at all, and I think they're harder to find than lb

I wouldn’t say WR is fine but LB has little to no depth and the two LBs that you can point to as good are both injury risks. You literally could have ZERO linebackers at some point this season if Lee gets hurt and Smith doesn’t improve.

At least you have some reliable WRs.

Gaede

Reaction score
I wouldn’t say WR is fine but LB has little to no depth and the two LBs that you can point to as good are both injury risks. You literally could have ZERO linebackers at some point this season if Lee gets hurt and Smith doesn’t improve.

At least you have some reliable WRs.
Yeah, good point