2019 Improvement Wishlist

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
Looking ahead at the upcoming season I am curious as to what area you would like to see either a particular player, specific unit or stat improve upon : Here are some of mine in no particular order please feel free to add yours :

1) Dak Prescott - Holding the ball far to long in the pocket while being a little loose with protecting it -- would like to see better decision making especially when we are in scoring range either run or throw the ball away. Hate seeing us take bad sacks which cause us to lose opportunities for points or the ball all together.

2) Turnovers - would like to see far more turnovers created by our defense and secondary as a whole - getting some short fields and easy points added this year would go a long way instead of us going the length of the field every possession ( result of our poor return game see #4 ) --- don't personally care if they are picks or fumbles just create more.

3) Kicking Game - FG's in particular. We were spoiled with Dan Bailey for so long he was Mr. Automatic ( Boy that was Nice ) But last year it felt weird to be on the edge of our seat on every FG attempt --- would just love to see more reliability in this area.

4) Kick and Punt Return --- We need to put out an APB for our return units! I honestly miss the days of Dwayne Harris i didn't want to leave my seat when he went back to return a punt --- we need help here ! Flipping field position quickly would be a welcome change!

5) Better Red Zone Efficiency -- I would love to see Zeke go for 15-20 Tds -- shocked in all honesty we have not seen that yet

Of course the obvious things such as - less predictability & vertical passing game but the above are specifics i would like to see.

IMO if we can improve numbers 1-5 - we would have some games with bigger leads instead of every game being a dogfight 1 score game. Not to mention what a sight it would be to see our improved defense getting the opportunities to pin their ears back and get after the QB while they are in one dimensional passing mode trying to catch back up.

Thoughts & What are your specifics ?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
You pretty much nailed it. For me, I immediately thought of red zone scoring, passing game, and turnovers. If all three improve significantly, this season will be very, very good.

Then it would be a matter of getting over the divisional round hump.

gmoney112

Reaction score
1) Red Zone efficiency
2) Defensive Passer Rating
3) Interior DL pass rush
4) Improved interior OL play + pass protection (and run blocking in red zone)
5) + 15% of total pass plays using play-action
6) Plethora of looks, formations, motion out of S11 packages
8) Force 7 more turnovers, which would make us top 10 (as far as 2018 ranking anyway)

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
1) Red Zone efficiency
2) Defensive Passer Rating
3) Interior DL pass rush
4) Improved interior OL play + pass protection (and run blocking in red zone)
5) + 15% of total pass plays using play-action
6) Plethora of looks, formations, motion out of S11 packages
I am really hoping Fredrick is back we should be very solid again with depth

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
Odds are against him, but yeah I hope Kellen does well for us.
He may have an early advantage in the season since teams will not be 100% sure what he will do - it may change later in the season as teams gather more tape on his schemes but either way should be a fun ride !

ghst187

Reaction score
100% on all the OP points plus I’d add more innovative coaching and better game management by the coaches. Tired of getting into the playoffs and getting beaten by a team we should beat because they just find a weakness and we never figure out how to adjust.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OP and all the responses pretty spot on. Covers about everything.
My main two on offense are, Dak improving mechanics which should improve his release and pocket presence as well. And better play calling in the red zone.
On Defense, main 2, more turnovers from picks, and more consistent pass rush from all across the DL. Which one helps the other.
Now only if they get rid of that jinx Rowdy. Actually if he is gone all things in the universe is back in order. :lmao2:

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Looking ahead at the upcoming season I am curious as to what area you would like to see either a particular player, specific unit or stat improve upon : Here are some of mine in no particular order please feel free to add yours :

1) Dak Prescott - Holding the ball far to long in the pocket while being a little loose with protecting it -- would like to see better decision making especially when we are in scoring range either run or throw the ball away. Hate seeing us take bad sacks which cause us to lose opportunities for points or the ball all together.

2) Turnovers - would like to see far more turnovers created by our defense and secondary as a whole - getting some short fields and easy points added this year would go a long way instead of us going the length of the field every possession ( result of our poor return game see #4 ) --- don't personally care if they are picks or fumbles just create more.

3) Kicking Game - FG's in particular. We were spoiled with Dan Bailey for so long he was Mr. Automatic ( Boy that was Nice ) But last year it felt weird to be on the edge of our seat on every FG attempt --- would just love to see more reliability in this area.

4) Kick and Punt Return --- We need to put out an APB for our return units! I honestly miss the days of Dwayne Harris i didn't want to leave my seat when he went back to return a punt --- we need help here ! Flipping field position quickly would be a welcome change!

5) Better Red Zone Efficiency -- I would love to see Zeke go for 15-20 Tds -- shocked in all honesty we have not seen that yet

Of course the obvious things such as - less predictability & vertical passing game but the above are specifics i would like to see.

IMO if we can improve numbers 1-5 - we would have some games with bigger leads instead of every game being a dogfight 1 score game. Not to mention what a sight it would be to see our improved defense getting the opportunities to pin their ears back and get after the QB while they are in one dimensional passing mode trying to catch back up.

Thoughts & What are your specifics ?
3rd down efficiency on defense and offense killed us last season; specifically defense in the 2 games were we seemed to be physically man handled...Colts and Rams. We beat the Rams if we get off the field defensively on 3rd downs. IMO if we can fix this issue on both sides of the ball we are can go far in the playoffs.

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
3rd down efficiency on defense and offense killed us last season; specifically defense in the 2 games were we seemed to be physically man handled...Colts and Rams. We beat the Rams if we get off the field defensively on 3rd downs. IMO if we can fix this issue on both sides of the ball we are can go far in the playoffs.
I hear you on both of those games I do wonder how much eberflus effected the colts scheme in all honesty ! wish i could have been a fly on the wall in the colts locker room