News: 2019 NFL Draft: How Cowboys, Bears, Browns and Saints can have successful drafts without first-round

Flamma

Reaction score
I'd look to see who dropped the furthest in DL and S, take that guy. But if we take a DT with 58 I don't see too many good safety's being left in the 3rd round. I
n that case​
we might have to look to see if a TE we like is there. But a RB? I think post #4 covered that quite nicely.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
They wouldn’t pay 2. They draft one and let Elliot walk. Pick up his 5th year and I am guessing that Elliot sits out.
The 5th year option is not like a franchise tag. It's considered part of his rookie deal. Nobody has ever sat out and I'm not sure they can as far as the cba goes, it would still have to be played to get credit. I think it's also going to be about 9 million.

glimmerman

Reaction score
The 5th year option is not like a franchise tag. It's considered part of his rookie deal. Nobody has ever sat out and I'm not sure they can as far as the cba goes. I think it's also going to be about 9 million.
Hoping they go ahead and extend him for about 3 years.. After the 5th year.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
That's smart.

Take a backup RB who will get maybe 25% of the touches from that position with your best pick in the draft when you have clear needs at DT, S and there likely will be players available at that spot. All set at S?

I think I would just laugh if they took Miles Sanders at 58.
100% right. Emmitt Smith was backed up mainly with Lincoln Coleman, Derrick Gainer, Tommie Agee, and David Lang who were UDFA or FA. The Cowboys failed with using draft picks to back up Smith with Curvin Richards, Derrick Lassic, and "ask" Sherman Williams.

lukin2006

Reaction score
We should package Heath, Taco and Gathers and see him some sucker will bite ... :lmao:

TwentyOne

Reaction score
A case could be made that the Cowboys have already had a successful draft.

Just by using their 1st rounder on Cooper, who turned out to make a significant impact on the offense.

I disagree.

You draft players also because of the monetary aspect. To give away a first round pick but having to handle a big cap hit is not a good way.

You cant compare a traded player with a drafted one that way.

visionary

Reaction score
The premise was based upon an assumption that both the secondary and the defensive lines are very solid as they sit today.

Then, proceeding to take a full board view of remaining positional groups...

Well, if we're going complete bonkers, let's "start with the assumption " that we won the last 3 SBs

Just FYI, starting with idiotic assumptions is a good way to make bad decisions

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
That's smart.

Take a backup RB who will get maybe 25% of the touches from that position with your best pick in the draft when you have clear needs at DT, S and there likely will be players available at that spot. All set at S?

I think I would just laugh if they took Miles Sanders at 58.
:hammer:

glimmerman

Reaction score
When has Zeke ever thrown a fit?
I don’t want him to. Not totally saying he will but I know there agents will advise them on things. D-Law with his shoulder surgery used as a tool.

Don’t want to see Elliot holding out for a contract.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Well, if we're going complete bonkers, let's "start with the assumption " that we won the last 3 SBs

Just FYI, starting with idiotic assumptions is a good way to make bad decisions

As if your steady diets of stereotypes makes for good discussion...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have a feeling we’re gonna get wiped out at safety and the dts we want.

I think it is deep enough of a draft at both DT and S to get one in each round 2nd and 3rd. Maybe not who the fans may want. But still decent players.
DT's will be off the board before S's IMO. But there will be some very good ones there when we pick in the 2nd, and most likely in the 3rd as well.

But these must be the picks. 4th round, then it is open. But we still need LB depth and to develop as well.
RB, and TE can wait until the 4th and 5th round, and even 7th. I don't think they need a TE unless they want one to replace Rico as a development type.

I think they can go OL before TE.