News: 2019 NFL Draft: How Cowboys, Bears, Browns and Saints can have successful drafts without first-round

CCBoy

Reaction score
2019 NFL Draft: How Cowboys, Bears, Browns and Saints can have successful drafts without first-round picks

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...-successful-drafts-without-first-round-picks/

...Zeke needs a reliable backup. To me, that position should absolutely be on the table in the second round at No. 58 overall. Penn State's Miles Sanders, a bouncy, balanced back, would pair wonderfully with Elliott. If Dallas wants a runner with comparable style to its ground-game star, Iowa State's David Montgomery, though not as powerful as Zeke of course, just might be the pick. Maybe a round or two later, Oklahoma State's speedster Justice Hill would complement Elliott very well and would be a real asset in the screen game.

Even with Jason Witten returning for one more season and project-y types like Blake Jarwin, Rico Gathers, and Dalton Schultz on the roster, I wouldn't hate the Cowboys landing a tight end on Day 2 or early Day 3. Texas A&M's Jace Sternberger proved to be a capable intermediate target with impressive yards-after-the-catch skills for the Aggies in 2018. He'd be a quality add to the Cowboys' roster. San Diego State's Kahale Warring, a tall tight end with above-average athletic traits and plenty of experience in-line as a blocker, could be a sponge learning from Witten and become one of the better players at his position in the league in a few years.

Defensive backfield is a trendy option for the Cowboys, but with Byron Jones, Chidobe Awuzie, Jourdan Lewis, Anthony Brown, Jeff Heath, and newly signed George Illoka already roaming in the secondary, the Cowboys are probably just about all set at corner and safety. Would a fifth-round defensive back hurt? Of course not. I just don't think it's a huge necessity for Dallas in this draft.

Hardline

Reaction score
The only RB I wouldn't mind in the second round is Damien Harris from Alabama.

Sydla

Reaction score
That's smart.

Take a backup RB who will get maybe 25% of the touches from that position with your best pick in the draft when you have clear needs at DT, S and there likely will be players available at that spot. All set at S?

I think I would just laugh if they took Miles Sanders at 58.

glimmerman

Reaction score
That's smart.

Take a backup RB who will get maybe 25% of the touches from that position with your best pick in the draft when you have clear needs at DT, S and there likely will be players available at that spot. All set at S?

I think I would just laugh if they took Miles Sanders at 58.
I bet not even 25%. Maybe 5 carries a game. Lol.

Safety is deep this year. I would grab a Safety or DT first. Which ever has the best player at that position available.

Sydla

Reaction score
The only way taking a TB high makes any sense is if they have made the decision to not just resign Zeke and let him walk after his 5th year option year is over.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The premise was based upon an assumption that both the secondary and the defensive lines are very solid as they sit today.

Then, proceeding to take a full board view of remaining positional groups...

glimmerman

Reaction score
The only way taking a TB high makes any sense is if they have made the decision to not just resign Zeke and let him walk after his 5th year option year is over.
Would not surprise me. If they take RB with there first pick then Elliot will throw a fit.

Sydla

Reaction score
The premise was based upon an assumption that both the secondary and the defensive lines are very solid as they sit today.

Then, proceeding to take a full board view of remaining positional groups...

The premise is flawed. That's the point. If you are going to do an evaluation of the Cowboys draft and how they can be successful with no first round pick, starting with the notion that the Cowboys DTs and Ss are in great shape and don't need help means everything after that analysis is probably screwy. And sure enough, he proposes taking a TB at 58. LOL.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
3/4 of the secondary are free agents next year so we likely will grab a couple. RB is a later round target IMO.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Why would they do that? Having to pay two top arena running backs...
They wouldn’t pay 2. They draft one and let Elliot walk. Pick up his 5th year and I am guessing that Elliot sits out.

CCBoy

Reaction score
They wouldn’t pay 2. They draft one and let Elliot walk. Pick up his 5th year and I am guessing that Elliot sits out.

Extremely foolish then, as Elliott has only led the rushing for two seasons. He is top shelf, and the Cowboys know that. He is what teams draft towards and pay once there.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Extremely foolish then, as Elliott has only led the rushing for two seasons. He is top shelf, and the Cowboys know that. He is what teams draft towards and pay once there.
I agree. I think they may grab a RB in the 6th or 7th round. Looking for a back up. Unless they resign Rod.

Sydla

Reaction score
A case could be made that the Cowboys have already had a successful draft.

Just by using their 1st rounder on Cooper, who turned out to make a significant impact on the offense.

You need more than one player out of a draft.

So if they pick 6 bums this weekend and only have Cooper, that's not a good draft.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
RB is deep in this draft. A very good RB capable of shouldering the load if Zeke goes down or isn’t signed can be had in the 4th-5th round area is this draft. You don’t draft a backup you hope hardly plays with your first few picks. Listing Heath as part of the reason not to go safety at 58 is a joke. He IS the reason they MUST get a good safety in this draft and several should be there at 58. That is the play unless someone unexpected and too good to pass up falls.

Sydla

Reaction score

Not at TB where data shows there is a drop off in production moreso than other positions.

I would more likely let him play out his deal and then tag him.