2020 1/4 season Cowboys mock

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I used to use the CBS draft rankings for these things, but Dane Brugler left them and now they are trash. I’ll use The Draft Network’s mock draft machine from now on.

They have us drafting 23rd overall right now.

1(23) Javon Kinlaw IDL (6’6”, 302) South Carolina – People mover. He’s the type of tall interior DL we have utilized in the past (Jason Hatcher, David Irving). He’s flying up draft boards, probably will go higher than this.
Dk-CQ84XcAAAEXF.jpg

2(55) Kenny Willekes EDGE (6’4”, 260) Michigan State – Every time I watch him play I think “Marinelli Special” (only with talent). He has a nonstop motor and has accounted for 19.5 sacks so far in his career. Much like Tank, he prefers to rush from the LDE spot but can play either side. He was the 2018 Big10 Defensive Lineman of the Year and a 1st team All-American.
3XEJJ5OPIFHUJDP6X7ZWCFOIM4.JPG

3(87) Ashtyn Davis S (6’1”, 195) California – One of my favorite 2020 prospects, Davis is the player many here think Jeff Heath is. Like Heath, he’s very athletic (All-American hurdler for Cal) and extremely physical. Unlike Heath, he has great ball skills. He needs to bulk up some, especially in the upper body.
BNG-L-CALFBC-0916-9.jpg

4(119) Aaron Fuller WR (5’10”, 187) Washington – Quick receiver, who can play inside and out, great route runner, and possesses solid hands. Can also return punts. Due to his size, durability will always be a concern.
aaron-fuller-of-the-washington-huskies-scores-a-11-yard-touchdown-picture-id1038230678

5(150) Cole Kmet TE (6’5”, 250) Notre Dame – Another player who will probably go higher than slotted here. In the few snaps I’ve seen him, he’s shown the ability to get open and uses his size and frame to body DBs and secure catches. Solid blocker as well. He’s a much better version of Dalton Schultz.
web1_123652651-b592647c6a0c4da08f4187ba7066074b.jpg

7(214) Levonta Taylor CB (5’10”, 181) Florida State – Doesn’t fit the prototype size Kris Richard prefers in his corners but the 7th round is a good spot to gamble on this former five-star recruit. PFF ranked him number one in fewest amount of receptions per snap last season. He shows quickness and long speed, with great hips and feet. He is extremely smooth in coverage but can struggle with physicality. Could be an ideal nickel.
636187456875887171-FSU-Mich-42.jpg

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I like this, though I think I'd go WR at one of those first two picks. There is some serious talent there this year. I'd probably keep Kinlaw and go WR in the 2nd. Though I like Willekes, I don't like that he'll be 23 by the time camp rolls around.

Sydla

Reaction score
Like this draft.

We clearly still need talent at DT, especially if Collins walks. And with Quinn being a FA, we may need more edge help, so I like Willekes. And the kid from Cal is a nice pick in the 3rd.

Kmet is a good gamble as well. He showed he has enough athleticism to make plays when he was largely uncoverable by Georgia in the UGA-ND game.

John813

Reaction score
Does anyone know how Kmet stacks up to other NFL worthy TEs from ND?
Rudolph, Fasano, Smythe, Eifert, Niklas?

Sydla

Reaction score
Does anyone know how Kmet stacks up to other NFL worthy TEs from ND?
Rudolph, Fasano, Smythe, Eifert, Niklas?

Rudolph might not be a bad comparison. Eifert was an athletic freak, more in the mold of a guy like Zach Ertz and Kmet isn't that type.

Sydla

Reaction score
The one issue I do have is that I think CB is going to be a priority in this draft, unfortunately. I have the sneaking suspicion they are going to let Jones walk given what he might get on the open market. And we haven't seen a ton of great stuff from Awuzie and Brown (who I think will be back because he'll be cheap). So they may have to go CB early in this draft.

gmoney112

Reaction score
The one issue I do have is that I think CB is going to be a priority in this draft, unfortunately. I have the sneaking suspicion they are going to let Jones walk given what he might get on the open market. And we haven't seen a ton of great stuff from Awuzie and Brown (who I think will be back because he'll be cheap). So they may have to go CB early in this draft.

Given the CB talent in this draft (according to "rankings" anyway, which will change a lot between now and draft), there's a pretty good chance CB will be BPA towards the end of the 1st. That's what i'm expecting anyway. I think TE is just about 0 chance, WR is probably off the board unless they're spectacular, OL is doubtful, no LB, it'll be DL or CB. Given contract situations and players in this draft, probably CB.

Unless they're willing to move up in the 2nd. Which I would definitely be looking at considering the talent we have already + picking at the end of the rounds. DL + CB in first 2 rounds, move up in the 2nd to get whatever I didn't get in Round 1.

bodi

Reaction score
i like to see Lewerke kid drafted in the later rounds

Carson

Reaction score
i like to see Lewerke kid drafted in the later rounds

He just has that MSU touch to him. I can never quite pinpoint it ... it’s like Cousins. They show flashes they are just never great. Will a solid NFL Qb in the right system.

Sydla

Reaction score
That Kinlaw pick is looking better and better given how our DTs were abused against GB.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Javon Kinlaw would be an AWESOME pick....so because I want it.....it won't happen.

•K'Lavon Chaisson,LB-Lsu
•Curtis Weaver,DE-Boise St
nice consolation prizes in my opinion...but its still early.