2020 Expectations

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Garrett himself always rebounded in these even years to double digit wins and playoffs, so if McCarthy can barely manage that the excuse making on here is going to be off the scale.

Oneiros

Reaction score
Compete for the division title and get back to the playoffs.

Would love to get back to the NFC Championship game.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we can score against good defenses then playoffs...if not home for the Holidays. :(

jday

Reaction score
Where do you rank the Cowboys in the NFC right now?

Let's assume we have a season and the QB shows up, what are your expectations?

What must McC and his new staff accomplish for you to consider this a successful season.

And has this changed since he was hired? FA acquisitions and draft picks affect your expectations?
New coaching staff

New system....really on both sides of the ball.

Shortened preparation time

Uncertainty regarding the season

Less time for new players to get up to speed.

I think the season will be entertaining come what may, but in terms of results, I'm keeping my expectations tempered.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Garrett himself always rebounded in these even years to double digit wins and playoffs, so if McCarthy can barely manage that the excuse making on here is going to be off the scale.
We apparently have fans who will be very satisfied being disappointed in January as long as we have a better HC. Lol

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

What must McC and his new staff accomplish for you to consider this a successful season.

And has this changed since he was hired? FA acquisitions and draft picks affect your expectations?

First off our QB showed up last season so let’s not make it sound like he was the problem. Due to the virtual offseason which is going to set everyone back, especially a team with a new HC and staff I wouldn’t be having any our super high expectations this season assuming we have one. McCarthy and his staff may not see the players in pads for the first time until July or Aug. Let’s face it, this is a crazy offseason we’re experiencing. Teams that have had a staff in place for at least a season are going to have an advantage over a team bringing in a new HC who’s making changes. Pretty difficult to implement a new system and make changes when you can’t even meet with the players.

McCarthy’s routine is going to be different from Garrett’s and this unusual situation we’re stuck in is going to make it challenging. There’s going be a lot of built in excuses if things don’t go well in 2020. I’m just hoping if there is a season we make the playoffs and can have at least some success and can build on it each season. I want to see us get away from this tiring up and down pattern we’ve been stuck in the past decade. I want to see steady improvement each year.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
10-11 wins maybe win one playoff game maybe one and done. They'll get in with jerrys new playoff bracket in place.

To be considered a good season anytime i expect at least 10-6 with a playoff win or 11 wins or more.

aria

Reaction score
Based on reading the recent comments wince the draft I would say Super Bowl contenders for the next 5 years. Based on my own personal opinion and the schedule, I would assume they get at least 10-13 wins but I don’t hold McCarthy in as high regard as others until I see how he does without one of the best QB’s to ever play the game and how his coaching philosophy has changed during his one year hiatus.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Season will ride on the dline honestly. If gregory and smith are still good id say we are contenders.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Recent power rankings had us at 7, the Eagles at ~14, and the Commanders and Giants near the bottom of the league.

Giggity!

bsbellomy

Reaction score

My expectations aren't high at all. Last season pretty much got de-railed by squabbles over money and its already starting to look like this will as well.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

A lot of global questions there.

Each could use their own threads.

I am following what is going on and the draft will hopeful surprise us.

But there has been too much upheaval to expect much. We have no idea if the team will bond with Big Mike and his staff.

With a fair turn over in the roster, chemistry is going to suffer.

Depending on how Dak comes out of things, the team has to be satisfied with his leadership.

Up until now, Daks leadership has not been stiffly tested. It will be now.

Losing 2 Pro Bowl players in Beard and Jones will set us back, more leadership questions.

And then there is the Jones. In 30 years of owning the team, they have had a heavy hand on the team. 25 years of no titles says alot.

So I see a rough year ahead. To me we need another low result year to get a very high draft pick. If Dak plays on the Tag and he flames out under the pressure..

we will need the pick for a new QB by draft or trade.

So it all remains to be seen. What I do not want to see is another 8-8 year. That would mean we really took a hit paying Dak $32 mil for 8-8 where this year it will only have cost $2 mil.

Big difference. This decision will separate the men from the boys.

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score

I think anywhere from #2-#4 in the NFC is accurate. I'll put them at #3 behind New Orleans and San Francisco. But Dallas, if they play their game, can beat those teams. I think the gap between us and the Eagles got even bigger.

I think we will have a season and 4 shows up. I'll go 4,500 yards 32 TD 8 INT. Borderline top 5 QB, pro-bowler, maybe an MVP guy. He has a lot around him.

For McC-I'd say win the NFC East, around 11 wins, and let's win a couple of games in the playoffs. I'm not expecting a Super Bowl right now. But this team has too much talent to be one and done.

To me, I think philosophy is huge. Listen to Will McClay talk. Players over scheme. I think Gerald McCoy and Dontari Poe were great additions to this team. The draft was awesome. CeeDee is going to contribute immediately. If Dallas wants to pay all their players, they have to draft well. I think Diggs, Gallimore, Robinson III, Biadasz, and Anae will be solid players for Dallas. They get them cheap the next four years.

CWR

Reaction score

My expectations are sky high. Honestly I believe if Dak doesn't hold out and he learns the offense we will be really good.

Our defense is shaping up and we have actual DTs now. Im fascinated to see Gregory and Aldon Smith, although Id love to add someone more reliable.

Our offense with CD and coaching should be a top 3 offense no problem.

All of the tight games we lost and all the times we looked flat and unprepared Im expecting to see the opposite.

Consequently I really hope against hope we have a season and arent derailed by this crazy world.

DanA

Reaction score
No.1.

Commanders and Giants I think are getting top 10 picks next year. I have both Dallas and Philly as fringe top 10 teams, Dallas slightly higher after the draft.

I expect a top 5 offense but I never saw the QB play as a risk. I see Center, offensive line injuries and tight end as the biggest risk to performances.

He needs to find a way to get blocking assignments right with the O-line, and get the WR talent on paper to show on the field.

For me
Special teams: We are a special teams LB and TE away from a top 5 ST team. It changed with Fassell but also getting a good kicker, drafting some PR's and bringing in Bell helped.
Defensive Line: I really think it's a top 5 defensive line. I have an extremely high opinion of Lawrence, Poe & McCoy. I also think Aldon Smith will be a big upgrade on Quinn (mostly in the run game).
Secondary: I think we'll be lucky to be middle of the road. That comes with rookies playing a role, and a lack of quality at the no.1 spot. I think Clinton Dix improves safety play though

O-line: I think it will slightly worse than last year. I rated Pollack as a coach and think Frederick's communication at the LOS picking up blocking assignments was an underrated positive.
Running game: I think it's going to be better because I don't think we utilized it well enough (we got behind too much). Blake as the no.1 TE blocking, for me, is a concern.
Passing game: I think we have the WR's to be better and think Kellen will be better after a year learning the ropes.

Overall I expect us to be a top 10 team and think we can be a to 5 team. Same team with Garrett in charge I think could still make the playoffs and lose the first game.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
With so many new coaches on this staff and newbie players as well, my expectations are somewhat modest.

Considering all the scheme changes and adjustments to be made, I'd be well satisfied with a winning record.

I expect the defensive changes to be a successful undertaking with both our running and passing to improve.

My main reservations are due to the mistakes that are going to occur, due to so many changes taking place.

Last edited: