2021 NFL Draft: Who's the best defensive player in this year's class?

rambo2

Reaction score
a guy who quit football because of concussions scares the heck out of me.
If they get a couple of dominant years out of him, it would be worth it. His head didn't bother him this year. It will bother him later in life, just like it did for others.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
a guy who quit football because of concussions scares the heck out of me.

Here's a little back story on Jaelin Phillips.
He went to UCLA, but didn't want to go there his parents made him go. He wanted to go to USC, but his parents refused. Now the injuries were legit, but I think he retired basically to get out of UCLA because the culture there was awful and you can argue still is.
With that being said I think a little bit of the injury thing is overblown, but it is definitely something there that you have to consider when drafting him.

Western

Reaction score

Chris Simms take on Jaelan Phillips -- No.1 edge rusher in the draft -- makes comparisons to JPP, and Julius Peppers. Makes the argument that Phillips could rival Chase Young from last year's draft.

morasp

Reaction score
Here's a little back story on Jaelin Phillips.
He went to UCLA, but didn't want to go there his parents made him go. He wanted to go to USC, but his parents refused. Now the injuries were legit, but I think he retired basically to get out of UCLA because the culture there was awful and you can argue still is.
With that being said I think a little bit of the injury thing is overblown, but it is definitely something there that you have to consider when drafting him.
I saw someone say they didn't think NFL teams would be as concerned about the concussions at the fans are.

J-man

Reaction score
Surtain is probably the safest and Parsons maybe the most athletic. but this best defender in this class may very well be Phillips. He will be extremely high on most boards because NFL teams build their boards purely on ability. Then they allow the medicals to come into play before making their selections. If he gets good medicals, he'll go top 20, possibly top 12 as I don't know if the igglets would pass on him.
But just maybe he will go top 10.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I saw someone say they didn't think NFL teams would be as concerned about the concussions at the fans are.

I haven't seen that, but I am with them for the most part. I mean with a person there is always some worry about concussions but I think this is more about Phillips trying to get out of fUCLA.

Western

Reaction score
Jaelan Phillips -- hybrid of the Watt brothers.
At #10, invest in a player that can yield productive output, & playmaking ability at an essential position.