2021 QB draft class

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I know many fans wanna move on from Dak and draft his replacement. That's understandable but careful what you wish for. Personally, I'd rather sign a vet and draft a developmental guy (mid-late round) to sit a couple of years ( as Romo did )

This class :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

John813

Reaction score
Out of the 4 traded, only Wilson I'm surprised at how bad he was. Didn't think he was polished for year 1 action but man he just regressed.
Was it the NY life, or simply going from BYU to the NFL as a QB a huge jump and he didn't prepare well enough for?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I know many fans wanna move on from Dak and draft his replacement. That's understandable but careful what you wish for. Personally, I'd rather sign a vet and draft a developmental guy (mid-late round) to sit a couple of years ( as Romo did )

Yup.

We’re just so spoiled with Dak.

We went from Romo to Dak.

It’s basically the Cowboys version of Farve to Rodgers.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Most of these drafts end up like this…..the Tua, Burrow draft was great so far….

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Lawrence - has shown major That Guy, tractor-QB moments. Just needs to put it all together.

Wilson - never saw it with him. Manziel-esque gamer with no idea how to play inside structure.

Trey Lance - wasn't a big fan, but will someone please give him a chance to play pro football? How many career games has he even started? It is truly bizarre that a QB picked 3rd overall has seen so little action.

Fields - now here's my big swing and a miss. I had huge expectations for Fields, and he's underachieved those so far. His arrow is pointing upwards, and he still has time to put it together. But I would have picked him #2 overall and he hasn't justified that.

Mac Jones - mediocre physical tools and had 4 Bama WRs get drafted top-15. He always was a backup type.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Drafting a QB in the 1st round is a crap shoot. 50-50 you get one good enough for a 2nd contract. If you miss with your 1st rounder, it screws you for a couple 3 years.
The vast majority of SB winning QBs are 1st round draft choices. Being afraid of drafting first round QBs is how you go on 30 year streaks of failure.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Lawrence - has shown major That Guy, tractor-QB moments. Just needs to put it all together.

Wilson - never saw it with him. Manziel-esque gamer with no idea how to play inside structure.

Trey Lance - wasn't a big fan, but will someone please give him a chance to play pro football? How many career games has he even started? It is truly bizarre that a QB picked 3rd overall has seen so little action.

Fields - now here's my big swing and a miss. I had huge expectations for Fields, and he's underachieved those so far. His arrow is pointing upwards, and he still has time to put it together. But I would have picked him #2 overall and he hasn't justified that.

Mac Jones - mediocre physical tools and had 4 Bama WRs get drafted top-15. He always was a backup type.
A year ago, some people were saying Justin Fields arrow was pointing upwards. I didn't see it then, and don't see it now.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Isn't that kind of what the situation is now with Dak and Lance?
Yes ........which is exactly how Jerry wants it IMO. This way, at the end of the season he can resign Dak to an extension or let him walk and Lance becomes our new starter for probably a fraction of Dak's price tag.

MarkP88

Reaction score

Wouldn't want to waste a 1st on a QB and miss out on studs like Mazi Smith. You can miss on any position. And just because a guy is drafted in the 1st doesn't mean he can't sit for a season. If you're going to draft a QB high, have a plan. A lot of a QB's success is dependent on going to an organization that will put him in the best position to succeed. Did Chicago do that with Fields? Jets with Wilson? Definitely a resounding no those two.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
If the plan is to move on from Dak they should have done it by now.

Instead they are going to be drafting in the 20's again next year, with no shot at a top QB and no answers about Trey Lance.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
How much is the players faults?

Other than Lawrence, weren't these all guys who should have been drafted much later than they were and labeled as "developmental"?

It's one sided to label the player a failure when they never should have been expected to be ready to step onto an NFL field early in their career.

Even Lawrence wasn't as sure a thing in my mind as all the pundits made out.

At some point, you gotta blame the teams for overinflating QB rankings just because of supply & demand.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Fields - now here's my big swing and a miss. I had huge expectations for Fields, and he's underachieved those so far. His arrow is pointing upwards, and he still has time to put it together. But I would have picked him #2 overall and he hasn't justified that
Honestly, if we move on from Dak, I'd rather trade a late-round pick for him than draft a guy in the 1st round. Let him and Lance duke it out.......

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I prefer the strategy of waiting until the 6th round, guaranteeing Brady 2.0 :flagwave:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The vast majority of SB winning QBs are 1st round draft choices. Being afraid of drafting first round QBs is how you go on 30 year streaks of failure.
They weren’t afraid, they just didn’t need to once they hit on Romo and Dak.

Brax

Reaction score
I'm with you guys. I'm scared to try to get better. I'd rather win nothing the next 5 years with dak than try to take a chance.
A lot of folks here are happy with a good regular season it’s the same as a Super Bowl for them, why change and try to find someone better then they have to watch more games.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
A lot of folks here are happy with a good regular season it’s the same as a Super Bowl for them, why change and try to find someone better then they have to watch more games.
People fear the unknown until it's known. Then they hop on the bandwagon and claim they always knew the guy was great.