CFZ 2023 Cowboys Free Agents

RS12

Reaction score
Unless it is extremely club friendly I am against second contracts to RBs. As for the list itself I dont see even one must have.

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
We are getting ahead of ourselves with this topic at this time. This is a discussion for Jan or Feb of 2023. There is a good chance that some of the players on that list will not even be part of the team at that time. A few may be cut even before the season starts. A couple or perhaps even more could have "break out" seasons and be a big part of the team by seasons end. Those guys would be players most every fan would consider definite keepers to be resigned if at all possible. Way too early to know much now.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Only 2 potentially expensive free agents to retain.
- If Pollard gets a new contract, then they cut Zeke which is more than enough to cover Pollard's contract.
- I doubt if they re-sign Schultz. They might draft a TE early in 2023.
- Vander Esch might have been the Player of the Game if they had won the playoff game vs the Niners.
- Safety Wilson might not even be a full time starter in 2022.
- CB Brown is solid, but they drafted Joseph, Wright and Bland in the past 2 drafts.

List of Unrestricted Free Agents in 2023
Pos. …......... Player
LS …......... Jake McQuaide
RB …......... Tony Pollard
TE …......... Dalton Schultz
LB …......... Leighton Vander Esch
S …......... Donovan Wilson
DB …......... Anthony Brown
WR …......... James Washington
DB …......... C.J. Goodwin
WR …......... Noah Brown
DL …......... Dante Fowler Jr.
DL …......... Tarell Basham
DL …......... Trysten Hill
DL …......... Carlos Watkins
LB …......... Luke Gifford
OL …......... Connor McGovern
QB …......... Cooper Rush
QB …......... Will Grier
RB …......... Ryan Nall
TE …......... Jeremy Sprinkle
90% won't be on the cowboys

Loso86

Reaction score
- If Pollard gets a new contract, then they cut Zeke which is more than enough to cover Pollard's contract.
- Vander Esch might have been the Player of the Game if they had won the playoff game vs the Niners.
- CB Brown is solid, but they drafted Joseph, Wright and Bland in the past 2 drafts.

Pos. …......... Player
WR …......... Noah Brown
QB …......... Will Grier
RB …......... Ryan Nall
Not a bunch of guys I'd keep

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
We are getting ahead of ourselves with this topic at this time. This is a discussion for Jan or Feb of 2023. There is a good chance that some of the players on that list will not even be part of the team at that time. A few may be cut even before the season starts. A couple or perhaps even more could have "break out" seasons and be a big part of the team by seasons end. Those guys would be players most every fan would consider definite keepers to be resigned if at all possible. Way too early to know much now.
We as fans love to play coach and GM. A good GM would have a personnel plan three years ahead of time. So it's not, nor never, too early to look ahead.

Relax and let us have a bit of fun, will ya.

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
We as fans love to play coach and GM. A good GM would have a personnel plan three years ahead of time. So it's not, nor never, too early to look ahead.

Relax and let us have a bit of fun, will ya.
It is OK to have fun and project. Noting wrong with that. BUT you should also keep in touch the reality of the thing. Today's fun and games very well not be like what is going to happen for real in a few months. Do not lose sight of that.

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
It appears it will be all about 2 positional groups, backs and te’s. Backs can make an impact right away, but Te’s need development, that’s probably why they used a pick this yr rather then next

Plus they wanted insurance for the future in case they were not sold on Schultz,.
. and they wanted a legit TE 2 to go 12 personnel as they had planned for Jarwin- Schultz. ?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing is the DL are a lot of FA . We have 3 comp picks so we’re looking good.
Basham, Watkins and Fowler are stopgap players. Not guaranteed they all make the 2022 roster.

The Cowboys will likely draft at least 1 DL every year while Quinn is the DC.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
With the 32nd pick in the NFL draft, the Cowboys select Notre Dame TE Michael Mayer...

Unless Ferguson looks like a capable replacement for Schultz, I believe we'd either need to re-sign Schultz or do something like this. Frankly, I'd probably be for this over re-signing Schultz unless he proves that he's a top-five TE. I'd prefer to try to improve the position.

quickccc

Reaction score
Basham, Watkins and Fowler are stopgap players. Not guaranteed they all make the 2022 roster.

i don't think we've established a 1 tech that's ahead of the vet Watkins.

Not one,.. but both Ridgeway and Bohanna would have to be significantly more impressive than Watkins, or Carlson would
have to likely and unfortunately suffered a very serious injury that would force an opening at the 1 tech spots- for Watkins
not to make this team, based off his performance in Quinn's defense. .

CCBoy

Reaction score

Pos. …......... Player
WR …......... Noah Brown
QB …......... Will Grier
RB …......... Ryan Nall
It is well appreciated your consistent updates of informative information. Hoooah our friend!

Creeper

Reaction score

Pos. …......... Player
WR …......... Noah Brown
QB …......... Will Grier
RB …......... Ryan Nall

I don't think they re-sign Pollard. but it depends on how much money he wants - which I guess is true for most of these guys. I think they will look for a RB in the draft with his characteristics. I do not see him as a full time RB.

Schultz is going to want too much money. By next year his going price will be more than $60 million over 4 years.

I agree, LVE had a pretty good season last year. Can he do it two years in a row and avoid injury? Big year for him personally.

They like Brown, and we'll have to see what happens with Joseph and his legal problems.

A lot of people are saying one of Watkins/Hill will be gone this year so we'll see. I think they find a way to keep both but I don't think they will bring Hill back next year - or Watkins.

I think it is pretty certain they re-sign the long snapper. Someone has to do that job.

I assume they will bring one of the QBs back too.

Most of these guys are JAGs. If Fowler has a big year his price will rise above of the Cowboys willingness to pay. If he doesn't have a good year, then why bring him back?

I don't understand why the brought Noah Brown back this year. I have to believe Fehoko could do what he does.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
I dont work in the front office, so I dont care. Ill just pay attention to the actual season of 2022 thanks

Acceptablename

Reaction score

Agreed and the way they use FA to fill in has been working