CFZ 2023 Dallas Cowboys Contracts

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
There is zero reason to have listed the high-priced free agents section.
Dallas doesn't swim in those waters.

In all likelihood they extend Dak but with QB money going crazy that is not as straight forward as I'd prefer.

Tank has proven himself once again. I am hopeful he sticks at slightly lower numbers.
Martin still plays at insanely high level so they probably restructure him.

In many ways it isn't about balancing the cap for 2023 but also preparing for 2024.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Restructuring Dak for a third time with only 2 years left on his deal would be very problematic for future cap. Would be much healthier to extend him to reduce 2023’s cap hit

Well if Dak fails in the playoffs then Dallas could seriously look at maintaining Dak's contract to take the $49M cap hit in 2023 with the possibility of trade after 2023 to acquire draft picks with a $12M cap savings ($39M dead money charge).

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I believe you. Didn’t catch that. Almost makes it worse. He has to be renewed same time then as Diggs, Parsons, Lamb and some of the other high price rookies that will demand a lot. If I was Jerry I would swoop in right now and get him for a bargain, especially with that injury.
They will probably do that as it will be at a discount. He isn't going anywhere and will be extended at some point.

Brax

Reaction score
Well if Dak fails in the playoffs then Dallas could seriously look at maintaining Dak's contract to take the $49M cap hit in 2023 with the possibility of trade after 2023 to acquire draft picks with a $12M cap savings ($39M dead money charge).
Dak has a no trade clause he will not agree to a trade and will milk Jerry for a extension and Jerry will cave and the beat goes on and the results will be the same.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Dak has a no trade clause he will not agree to a trade and will milk Jerry for a extension and Jerry will cave and the beat goes on and the results will be the same.

That's like saying there is no Santa Claus.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Season is starting close down, and here's a look at where we stand. Some big decisions to be made.

Brought a lot of players back this year, but could be a different team next year.

Cowboys are on track to only be $2 million under the salary cap.

Biggest Dead Money we can't shake - La'el Collins, almost $9 million

Biggest Cap Hits assuming they don't rework their contracts: (numbers rounded)
  1. Dak $49m
  2. Tank $26m
  3. Zack $20m
  4. Tyron $18m
  5. Zeke $17m
  6. Gallup $14m
  7. Dorance $7m
  8. JayronK $6m
  9. JourdanL $6m
  10. Micah $5m
  11. CeeDee $4m
  12. Hooker $4m

Free Agents:
  • Dalton Schultz
  • Anthony Brown
  • Fowler
  • LVE
  • Barr
  • Jason Peters
  • Goodwin
  • Hankins
  • Noah B
  • James Washington
  • Carlos W
  • Cooper Rush
  • Connor McGovern
  • Terrence Steele
  • Donovan Wilson
  • Jake McQuaide/Matt Overton
  • Tony Pollard
  • Brett Maher
  • Gifford
High Priced Free Agents:
  • QB - Lamar Jackson, Tom Brady
  • RB - Sequon Barkley, David Montgomery
  • OL - Quenton Nelson, Orlando Brown, Elgton Jenkins
  • DB - Derwin James, Jessie Bates, Chauncey Gardner Johnson, James Bradberry
  • Front Seven - Rojuan Smith, Javon Hargrave, Poona Ford, Lavonte David, Bradley Chubb, JJ Watt
  • Dalton Schultz is probably the biggest name at WR/TE.
Derwin James signed an extension this year

StylisticS

Reaction score
Yeah I think the no trade clause is what stops this but a decision could be made with Dak after the 2023 season provided the team still has an unsuccessful playoff run with him by then. That 2024 offseason could be very interesting for the Cowboys.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys need to hold firm with prescott. If he dosent agree to an extension where he dosent reset the market, then let him walk point blank.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My predictions:

FAs who will want enough money that Stephen may pass out:
  • Dalton
  • Pollard
  • Steele/Wilson (agree w JD Kapow, can see them leaving with a Stephen Jones classic undercut offer)
Contract reworked:
  • Dak
  • Zack
  • possibly Tank again
  • possibly Gallup again
Cap Cut:
  • Zeke
  • Tyron
Free Agents will attempt to sign similar to ones Kearse, Hooker, Dorance and others got:
  • Steele
  • Fowler
Guys we're maybe going to lose because they cash in on their highlights this year:
  • Cooper
  • Maher
  • Noah B
  • D Wilson - Market is full of a lot of good Safeties though if not re-signed.
Age/Injury Cut or No Re-Sign:
  • Hankins
  • Washington
Guys they let go because of youth backup (assuming they play well rest of year):
  • Anthony B (Joseph)
  • McGovern (Tyler)
  • LVE (Clark)
  • Schultz (Fergy)
Cap hit is irrelevant to keep/cut decisions.

Base salary is the cost to keep/cut.

It adds 10.9M to the multi-year cap total if they keep Zeke vs cut. If they keep they can obviously push money into future years but that money does not go away. The 10.9M hits the cap at some point.

Clark is not a replacement for LVE. They play together. Parsons is now a DE.
Wn
Steele is restricted and injured. They can keep him for a low cost in 2023.

A. Brown might sign a minimum deal for 2023. It better to recovery from injury with a team than as an unsigned free agent.

If Tyron stays for 2023, both Tyler and Tyron highly likely play OT. Probably Tyron at RT. That means they still need a LG. Can't make plans based on Peters. It's nice he he comes back in the utility roke but they have to make FA and draft decisions independent to what happens with 41 year old Peters.
I’m trying to get out of Zeke and MGs contracts. Let Schultz walk.

Sign Payne in FA, kick the tires on Brandon Cooks and franchise Pollard.
Cooks is guaranteed 18M for 2023.

Payne would be an ideal fit. A 1tech that can play all 3 downs. I don't think he gets the 18M per that teammate Allen got but will still be expensive.

Definitely let Schultz walk unless he takes less than 6M per. Even then maybe not worth it. The 3 young guys are better blockers already.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IIRC off memory the 1st round tender is 4.4mil 2nd round tender is 2.5mil.

I think we still got some decisions yet to be made.
The biggest salary hits are as follows:
Prescott: 31mil
Lawrence: 15mil
Tyron Smith: 13.6mil
Martin: 13.5mil
Gallup: 11mil
Zeke: 10.9mil.

These are the 6 biggest base salary numbers for 2023.

Some will be restructured to free up cap space.
Dak's prorated revolving bonus is already at 18mil in 23, 24 and 25(when he's set to be a free agent). There's no getting out of prorated cap hits. Any restructure obviously raises that bonus/possible dead cap. Even if he signs a new deal, that prorated bonus hit stays.
Lawrence is still showing he's a very good DE. The double digit sacks are gone but he's our best run defender. His salary is fully guaranteed so cutting him hypothetically would be cap suicide but he can always restructure to knock it down.
Smith to be determined if he's worth keeping, restructuring or trading high.

Zeke or Pollard stay, not both.

Tyron or McGovern stay, probably not both.

CowboysFanKY88

Reaction score
Unfortunately I think they need to go OL in the first round again this year. With Steeles injury and all the FA on the oline. Plus I think McGovern needs to be upgraded.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My predictions:

FAs who will want enough money that Stephen may pass out:
  • Dalton
  • Pollard
  • Steele/Wilson (agree w JD Kapow, can see them leaving with a Stephen Jones classic undercut offer)
Contract reworked:
  • Dak
  • Zack
  • possibly Tank again
  • possibly Gallup again
Cap Cut:
  • Zeke
  • Tyron
Free Agents will attempt to sign similar to ones Kearse, Hooker, Dorance and others got:
  • Steele
  • Fowler
Guys we're maybe going to lose because they cash in on their highlights this year:
  • Cooper
  • Maher
  • Noah B
  • D Wilson - Market is full of a lot of good Safeties though if not re-signed.
Age/Injury Cut or No Re-Sign:
  • Hankins
  • Washington
Guys they let go because of youth backup (assuming they play well rest of year):
  • Anthony B (Joseph)
  • McGovern (Tyler)
  • LVE (Clark)
  • Schultz (Fergy)

Zeke and Tyron are not being released.

Creeper

Reaction score
How does everyone feel about extending Dak so they can restructure his deal and lower his CAP the next 2 years. Or they can sit on his deal and drat another QB to replace him in 2 years.

As it stands now, Dak, Micah and Zack Martin will all be free agents in 2025.