2023 draft exercise - go on the record early

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Okay fellow college football fans and draft nerds, let’s post some stuff that we can look back it in 11 months and laugh out (mainly at ourselves).

• Exercise A – Try to post the player you think that the Cowboys would/could/should draft with their 2023 1st round pick. Try to keep in mind, where you realistically expect the Cowboys to be drafting (yes, I already know...”32nd" :) and will be a position of need for the team.
  • Exercise B – Post who you think will be the top Quarterback to be taken in 2023 (nothing to do with the Cowboys for the Dak-haters, or maybe it does?)
  • Exercise C - Tell us who your way-too-early 2023 pet cat is. Can be from your favorite college or just a player who has caught your attention. Try to pick someone else if it happens to be the same player that you picked for Exercise A.

A – Andre Carter II, Edge, Army (6’7”/260). I’m former Army so I try to tune in to a few games each year and then of course the Army-Navy game every year (I plan on attending this year). I was shocked to see this tall, lanky athlete playing the Edge. I did some research on him and saw that he was a former Tight End from Texas who ended up going to a prep academy in Connecticut. In his four years at Army, he’s added about 40 pounds of muscle.

Now, if you think Tyler Smith might be raw, Andre would like a word with you. He wants to put pressure on you (15.5 sacks, 93.4 pass rush grade from PFF). So much so, that teams took advantage of his aggression and punished him with counters and reverses (especially Navy). He has a ton of upside and I don’t think he’s a twitchy, overly athletic guy. He’s more Maxx Crosby than Myles Garrett.

The Cowboys have had some success drafting products from the miliary academies (Roger Staubach, Chad Hennings). Dante Fowler and Tarell Basham are free agents after this year and Tank Lawrence will be getting his final guaranteed money ($15M).

R.54aaf20b34983d28dd3e68d8c9c070f4

B - C.J. Stroud is very smooth. He’s smart, he’s composed, and he seems to be able to make all of the throws. I think he’ll be very good QB in the NFL. Bryce Young is exciting. To me, he’s Johnny Manziel without the off-field concerns and on-field shenanigans. But the guy I like has kind of slipped off of everyone’s radar. Clemson’s D.J. Uiagaleilei is big (6.4”/250) and has a big-time arm. I think he can do Josh Allen-like things as a runner and passer. He definitely needs to put in some work this off-season and bounce back in 2023 to be in this conversation though.
OIP.J1CZjzcpmToKdKijpNZD8QHaF7

C – Kelee Ringo, Cornerback, Georgia. I’ve watched Kelee since he was a kid; he played for a local Arizona powerhouse Saguaro High School. I’ve probably attended 20 of his games in person and another 5 track meets. Once of my major projects in grad school had to do with Cornerbacks being the most athletic position in all of sports, and he was the high school “example” in my project. He started 12 games last year for a defense packed with NFL talent. Many of you might remember his 79-yard pick-six in the National Championship. He's special; 6’2” and a solid 205, he also won the state titles in both the 100 and 200. His mom got sick in 2020 and Kelee sat out the entire season. He’s not as technically sound as guys like as Patrick Surtain II or Derek Stingley Jr were at this stage in their careers, but he’s every bit the athletes they are.

Last edited:

RS12

Reaction score
How long till we can cut ties with the QB and not have it destroy the cap? Was listening to Kiper / McShay on Adam Schefter podcast last night and they felt like their were between six and seven first round QBs in the 2023 draft. I do expect the team to to take a step back and finish somewhere in the 8 to 9 win range. That would put them in the mid teens when it came to the draft position. I expect the offense to be worse than last year and the defense to to be slightly better to the same. Bottom line, lets draft a QB that can ultimately get the team over the hump.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
A

I expect Dallas to be picking in the 18-23 range, I think we'll be a wildcard team or just miss out.
I'm looking at DL again as an option, S , OT potentially WR again. Do our needs ever change?
So I'll go DE Isaiah Foskey, DE Notre Dame. Everything you coukd need, length, size, speed, explosive off the ball, violent hands and stout v the run.

I'll visit tge other two exercises when I've a little more time.

Plankton

Reaction score
A. Isaiah Foskey - DE Notre Dame. Foskey is an emerging athlete who really started to put it together last year. If he had declared for the draft this season, he would have been a Day Two selection, but I think that he will be a first round pick after this season. He has largely played on the left side of the DL, but he's athletic enough to play both sides, and has enough size to handle playing the strong side. I think he's an ascending player with a huge upside.

B. I'm going to go a little off the reservation, and go with Will Levis from Kentucky. He has good size, is mobile and had a good season this year after transferring from Penn State. He's a team captain, and by all accounts, he is a good leader for that offense. I think he takes a big step up this year, and will emerge from lower in the ranks.

C. Jalen Catalon - S Arkansas. Undersized, but aggressive. Slips past blockers and makes himself a presence against the run. Developing against the pass, but has five INTs the last two seasons. He's a dawg who will bring an attitude to the back end of the defense.

timb2

Reaction score
A- Zac Charbonet RB UCLA

B- Tanner McKee QB Stanford

C- Andre Carter DE Army

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
A. Michael Mayer TE Notre Dame
B. Will Levis QB Kentucky- got some Josh Allen to him
C. EJ Smith RB Stanford - he's the goats kid

Mayer is an impresive TE prospect. He plays so physical.

Seeing a lot of Levis talk, I guess I need to watch some Kentucky games.

Didn't Barry's kid go to Stanford too?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay fellow college football fans and draft nerds, let’s post some stuff that we can look back it in 11 months and laugh out (mainly at ourselves).

• Exercise A – Try to post the player you think that the Cowboys would/could/should draft with their 2023 1st round pick. Try to keep in mind, where you realistically expect the Cowboys to be drafting (yes, I already know...”32nd" :) and will be a position of need for the team.
  • Exercise B – Post who you think will be the top Quarterback to be taken in 2023 (nothing to do with the Cowboys for the Dak-haters, or maybe it does?)
  • Exercise C - Tell us who your way-too-early 2023 pet cat is. Can be from your favorite college or just a player who has caught your attention. Try to pick someone else if it happens to be the same player that you picked for Exercise A.

A – Andre Carter II, Edge, Army (6’7”/260). I’m former Army so I try to tune in to a few games each year and then of course the Army-Navy game every year (I plan on attending this year). I was shocked to see this tall, lanky athlete playing the Edge. I did some research on him and saw that he was a former Tight End from Texas who ended up going to a prep academy in Connecticut. In his four years at Army, he’s added about 40 pounds of muscle.

Now, if you think Tyler Smith might be raw, Andre would like a word with you. He wants to put pressure on you (15.5 sacks, 93.4 pass rush grade from PFF). So much so, that teams took advantage of his aggression and punished him with counters and reverses (especially Navy). He has a ton of upside and I don’t think he’s a twitchy, overly athletic guy. He’s more Maxx Crosby than Myles Garrett.

The Cowboys have had some success drafting products from the miliary academies (Roger Staubach, Chad Hennings). Dante Fowler and Tarell Basham are free agents after this year and Tank Lawrence will be getting his final guaranteed money ($15M).

R.54aaf20b34983d28dd3e68d8c9c070f4

B - C.J. Stroud is very smooth. He’s smart, he’s composed, and he seems to be able to make all of the throws. I think he’ll be very good QB in the NFL. Bryce Young is exciting. To me, he’s Johnny Manziel without the off-field concerns and on-field shenanigans. But the guy I like has kind of slipped off of everyone’s radar. Clemson’s D.J. Uiagaleilei is big (6.4”/250) and has a big-time arm. I think he can do Josh Allen-like things as a runner and passer. He definitely needs to put in some work this off-season and bounce back in 2023 to be in this conversation though.
OIP.J1CZjzcpmToKdKijpNZD8QHaF7

C – Kelee Ringo, Cornerback, Georgia. I’ve watched Kelee since he was a kid; he played for a local Arizona powerhouse Saguaro High School. I’ve probably attended 20 of his games in person and another 5 track meets. Once of my major projects in grad school had to do with Cornerbacks being the most athletic position in all of sports, and he was the high school “example” in my project. He started 12 games last year for a defense packed with NFL talent. Many of you might remember his 79-yard pick-six in the National Championship. He's special; 6’2” and a solid 205, he also won the state titles in both the 100 and 200. His mom got sick in 2020 and Kelee sat out the entire season. He’s not as technically sound as guys like as Patrick Surtain II or Derek Stingley Jr were at this stage in their careers, but he’s every bit the athletes they are.

I want to Cowboys to find a way to draft Notre Dame TE Michael Mayer.

cowboyec

Reaction score
with the 32nd pick of the 1st round...the super bowl champion dallas cowboys select...
quentin johnston wr tcu.

pet cat...
offense:jarrett patterson c notre dame
defense:zach harrison de ohio st

visionary

Reaction score
How long till we can cut ties with the QB and not have it destroy the cap? Was listening to Kiper / McShay on Adam Schefter podcast last night and they felt like their were between six and seven first round QBs in the 2023 draft. I do expect the team to to take a step back and finish somewhere in the 8 to 9 win range. That would put them in the mid teens when it came to the draft position. I expect the offense to be worse than last year and the defense to to be slightly better to the same. Bottom line, lets draft a QB that can ultimately get the team over the hump.

I’d be on board with this
Getting a real QB should be priority 1

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
If you guys think a rookie QB can come in and step right in with next-to-nothing in help from the sidelines you are fooling yourselves.

Kellen Moore and Mike McCarthy are giant nothings. Any quarterback here is by himself.

fivetwos

Reaction score
If you guys think a rookie QB can come in and step right in with next-to-nothing in help from the sidelines you are fooling yourselves.

Kellen Moore and Mike McCarthy are giant nothings. Any quarterback here is by himself.
If the team has any reasonable success over the next couple of years, they won't be looking for a QB anytime soon.

Otherwise I don't want a new young QB in the room until McCarthy and Moore are way out of that room.

If Dallas had Goff and he led them to a SB loss, Jerry would have stuck by him forever. Same as he did Garrett.

One thing this fan base hasn't had to experience.....spending high picks on QBs that bust. Wait until that happens.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

If we are drafting a QB next year, those two have already been fired

I have them picking in the high 20's. 10-11 win team that is still the best of a bad division. Eagles and Giants had great drafts, but no QB is no soup for you. I can see them going CB with a guy like Ricks or Porter. I can see another OT like Skoronski. Long term Skoronski on the left and Smith on the right could be very good.

Going with Stroud as my #1 as well

Myle Murphy is my pet cat right now

Hardline

Reaction score
Who I want.
Bjian Robinson

Best QB
Stroud.

Pet cat.
Bjian Robinson