Now that the 2023 Draft is over, I thought it would be interesting to review and look back at some of my pre-draft hunches to see how they actually played out. Keep in mind, my list doesn't speak to whether I believe the noted player will be a bust or star, but rather where I thought they'd be slotted with the other prospects in the draft.
Things I Got Right
Things I Got Wrong
- I posted about Joey Porter being a bit overrated heading into the draft. I felt the delta between he and Gonzalez (in my opinion the best CB prospect) was big. I thought/think Porter is a raw prospect that struggles with clean technique and ball skills. Porter ended up dropping to the top of R2.
- There was early talk of Siaki Ika being a potential late first rounder. I never believed it. Ika ended up being taken 98th overall in R3.
- I always felt the Cowboys were interested in adding a TE with some juice. If you're to believe Todd Archer's report, the Cowboys had Sam LaPorta and Dalton Kincaid ranked #1 and #2 respectively on their board, which I believe supports my contention.
- I felt folks were way too high on Roschon Johnson around here, with some even thinking he could go as early as the 2nd round. I said he was a Day 3 prospect. Johnson was taken 115th overall in R4.
- I did not see Darnell Washington as a 1st round prospect. Some believed he was the top TE available. He ended up being selected in R3 with seven other TEs taken in front of him.
- Said all pre-Draft that Steve Avila > O'Cyrus Torrence. Avila was the first IOL taken off the board and Torrence was the fourth.
- Did not believe Mazi Smith was going to go in R1. Low and behold the Cowboys end up taking him in the first round.
- Felt there was a good chance Calijah Kancey wouldn't go in R1, let alone #19 overall.
- Wasn't surprised Drew Sanders didn't get selected in R1, but didn't envision him dropping to R3.