2024-2025 Season: Cowboy Myths

doomsday9084

Reaction score
The salary cap is very difficult to manage, making it a huge obstacle to winning when it counts - How do the Chiefs continue to navigate the salary cap and still make it to 5 consecutive AFC Championship games? How have the 49ers made 4 consecutive NFC Championship games? Unfortunately, while the Jones boys complain about it, the elite teams are saying “hold my beer”. Perhaps there is a fraction of hope that the Jones boys can learn new salary cap tricks, but color me pessimistic. Jerry has been mismanaging the cap for decades, kicking the can down the road for various players that he really likes.
Chiefs: Have the best QB in the NFL willing to take a 8+ year deal which makes his cap hit significantly less than his contribution
49ers: Draft one of the best QB's in the NFL in the 7th round and get to pay him peanuts for several years

When your QB significantly overplays his salary, things look a lot easier.

Jerry has most certainly mismanaged the cap. Overpaid his own guys like Zeke. Too many void years and stuff making it so the team is always paying off the past. That said, the cap really is hard to manage. The Eagles had to dump a lot of their defense before last year and they have paid for it.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thank you. I don’t like the way things are but it still amazes me that Jerry would rather be the face of the franchise rather than be in the shadows like 31 other owners and GMs and actually win meaningful playoff games. After almost 30 years of the same failed model, Jerry continues to give the fans the finger as he defiantly micromanages the team to another subpar season. After 28 seasons, all that matters is reaching the nfc championship game and I will continue to measure the Cowboys exclusively by deep playoff runs because up until 28 years ago, we were the gold standard of franchises.
And Jerry loves to see fans blame the players and coaches for HIS failures. He will at some point fire McCarthy (or let his contract expire) and hire someone else he feels comfortable with to continue to meddle and manage. Then the fans will say, “I’m excited about Coach ____”. Meanwhile nothing really changes.

ArtClink

Reaction score
And Jerry loves to see fans blame the players and coaches for HIS failures. He will at some point fire McCarthy (or let his contract expire) and hire someone else he feels comfortable with to continue to meddle and manage. Then the fans will say, “I’m excited about Coach ____”. Meanwhile nothing really changes.
Great point about Jerry being a master of scapegoating. I think we can easily predict Jerry’s behavior after decades of watching him do what he does. As long as Jerry insists on giving his head coach almost no power, then it really doesn't matter who our hc is.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Chiefs: Have the best QB in the NFL willing to take a 8+ year deal which makes his cap hit significantly less than his contribution
49ers: Draft one of the best QB's in the NFL in the 7th round and get to pay him peanuts for several years

When your QB significantly overplays his salary, things look a lot easier.

Jerry has most certainly mismanaged the cap. Overpaid his own guys like Zeke. Too many void years and stuff making it so the team is always paying off the past. That said, the cap really is hard to manage. The Eagles had to dump a lot of their defense before last year and they have paid for it.
But the chiefs and niners had to also put together a defense better than 30 other teams to reach the conf championship and they did it for 4 & 5 consecutive years. How do you explain that?

Flamma

Reaction score
I dont think the fundamental issues we have will ever be fixed as long as Jerry is still of somewhat sound mind and I think Stephen is even worse. Hubris is a terrible trait to have and the Jones boys have it in spades.
Yeah, no kidding. The sickening part is that they still say to this day that they believe in their process!!! Their process sucks. Do they not see that? How about looking to those more successful? This is not hard stuff. Their goals are different.

CWR

Reaction score
There are a lot of fan ideas on how to improve the team this season, esp after consecutive losses where we gave up huge chunks of running yards. I have read a lot of ideas, some good, some interesting, and some ridiculous. So, Id like to weigh in the form of my list of Cowboy myths for the current season.
  1. A new head coach will make a huge difference, esp if it’s Bill Belichek - Parcells couldn’t win here and neither has McCarthy (winning means a deep playoff run, remember those?) and it comes down to Jerry’s micromanagement techniques and his continued undercutting of his head coach’s authority, making it very difficult to win. It’s fools gold to pretend Jerry is gonna sudden give Belichek or any other new head coach the power the other teams give their hc. Jerry is not changing, in fact it’s obvious he is digging his heels in deeper.

2. The salary cap is very difficult to manage, making it a huge obstacle to winning when it counts - How do the Chiefs continue to navigate the salary cap and still make it to 5 consecutive AFC Championship games? How have the 49ers made 4 consecutive NFC Championship games? Unfortunately, while the Jones boys complain about it, the elite teams are saying “hold my beer”. Perhaps there is a fraction of hope that the Jones boys can learn new salary cap tricks, but color me pessimistic. Jerry has been mismanaging the cap for decades, kicking the can down the road for various players that he really likes.

3. Jerry has ceded considerable GM responsibilities to Stephen - Based on recent interviews as well as other observations, there is no evidence this is happening. In fact, Jerry’s recent interviews indicate he is upset that anyone would question is total control over this team. Whether it’s Jerry or Stephen, they don’t inspire confidence in their GM abilities.

4. Zimmer can fix this defense - We simply don’t have the personnel to win this year and it’s evident that Jerry won’t spend any money since he spent very little in the off-season when he knew how many players we were losing. This is the most frustrating part to me, followed by our trash heap RB group. Perhaps Jerry will orchestrate a big trade before the deadline but he has been crowing for weeks about how happy he is with our D line and our RBs.

5. It’s all Dak’s fault for taking a deal that the market says he’s worth, rather than offer a home town discount for a team 28 seasons removed from their last conference championship appearance. Every fan on this forum would take the highest offer, esp since Dak and every other NFL player is risking their long term health to play. Fans act like other QBs aren’t getting overpaid. Don’t resent Dak that we have two village idiots managing every facet of this team including the salary cap. How many players going all the way back to Deon Sanders got a deal that Jerry was still paying for several years after the player retired?
Hopefully the coaching staff will get the most they can with these players as that seems to be our only hope this season.

An NFL GM must be a cold hearted SOB to make the tough decisions to constantly improve the roster. But Jerry gets too attached to select players and they get deals that hurt the team down the road.
2. We actually don't get the can down the road enough. In their attempts to be financially responsible they've been clipped and take zero risks in FA. Look to the Eagles 350 million in void years money spent. We could be more aggressive but are trying to avoid any lean years, spending more time worried about the future than the present.

4. We have little idea what Zimm can do. His players are actively free lancing. Let's see them keep their assignments and fill the gaps before we decide what he can't do. I agree we need more talent but we still have quite a bit. DQ managed to make these guys formidable MOST of the time. The drop off can't be justified by the FA losses alone.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I really think parsons is out of position teams jsut ran at him and take away his Bobby Boucher threat this season is a mess he clearly can’t seal the edge and everyone else is jsut below average

ArtClink

Reaction score
Yeah, no kidding. The sickening part is that they still say to this day that they believe in their process!!! Their process sucks. Do they not see that? How about looking to those more successful? This is not hard stuff. Their goals are different.
Exactly and both of the Jones boys know exactly what they are doing. They have no issue with being playoff irrelevant for 28 years as long as three things happen.
  1. The money keeps rolling in regardless of the on the field result.
  2. They get to be the faces of the franchise rather than the star players.
  3. They get to play fantasy football with the team they own.
Myself and millions of others have poured a lot of money into the Cowboys and IMO, the owner has a responsibility to the fans to always try to put the best team together. But instead the Jones boys defiantly give fans the finger.