2024 Cowboys Linebackers Vs 2022 and 2023 Units (Massive infographics)

T-RO

Reaction score
In the next 10 days I'm excited to provide this forum some team unit comparisons--today's Cowboys versus the past. I will be drawing from my own database of team data and visualizations. How does this 2024 team stack up vs. 2022 and 2023 Cowboys' editions?

First: Linebackers. This is a unit I expect big things from in 2024, and I believe you'll see why!

I will be including multiple installments of info and infographics for each unit. Let's start by looking at a breakdown of which linebackers played...and how much last year in 2023.

The game-by-game percentages reflect what percentage of defensive snaps each LB played overall, irrespective of position.

Cowboys_2023_LB_snapPerc.png

T-RO

Reaction score
Two things really pop out.

-The linebacker room was hammered by injury. 29 missed starts from the expected pre-camp starters.
-With the injury to Overshown...Marquese Bell, a 210 lb safety, was pushed into playing a lot of his snaps at linebacker.

Note: Micah played a little LB but I don't think it was much and I don't have the data for that.

T-RO

Reaction score
Let's go back to 2022. Seems so long ago already! Here a summary of linebacker play.

2022_LB_Summary.png

In a bit I'll post '23 and '24 projections and we can see what we might expect for this upcoming season.

T-RO

Reaction score
The Ave PFF Score is like a PFF Grade for all the linebacker snaps. I calculate that using some weighted average math. So we've seen that number was 68.7 in 2022.

Now onto 2023, where the grade was a tad worse, but with an asterisk.

2023_LB_Summary.png

T-RO

Reaction score
The 2023 asterisk was *Markquese Bell. The dude was phenomenal in the majority of games, as reflected in his PFF score. His speed and quickness could create real mismatches and that athleticism really helped in pass defense.

But...but...as we recall some teams really exposed him with brutal power running. Esp. in big games.

The Cowboys entered 2023 a bit light in their LB room, and proceeded to lose their top two 'backers. Over time that became a real vulnerability and cause for collapse.

How will 2024 compare? Later this weekend I'll post some PFF score projections for the completely revamped LB room...and we'll see if there might just be cause for serious optimism.

Next: 2024

shabazz

Reaction score
Kendricks ...10th year in the league. Past his prime
Overshown... zero experience and history of injuries.
Damone.....very slow development.....actually was 20 PFF lower than Marquis Bell, if that's even possible
Liufau...zero NFL experience ...the jury is waiting

Micahs left out for obvious reasons but I'm not sure why anybody expects this to be an area of strength......I would put it in an area of " show me".

Perhaps they'll all be pro bowlers....

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I know people hate on LVE , but to me he is amazing .

He just needs a season to fix his injuries , it's insane . He always gets injured , but when healthy he is a beast .
LVE was definitely one of the most underappreciated players here. Mostly because if you're not routinely making splash plays than you're a jag here. LVE was very solid in most things he did and there was a clear difference in the defense with him and without him.

blueblood70

Reaction score
To be honest it's a little too early on Saturday for me to try to digest all that give me a migraine I do agree I believe this year if that's what you're trying to say is we've upgraded the linebacker starters and therefore now we have better depth,, it remains to be seen we need to be healthy and already overshown it's got a hip pointer... But this has a chance to be one of the better younger more aggressive linebacker core that we've had in quite a while... It's kind of like we saw the turn around at safeties and defensive back corners at one point there was a narrative that the Cowboys front office doesn't do a good job fixing the safety positions like they're talking about defensive tackle right now but somehow now that's one of the deepest positions on the field.

So there is some hope that our linebackers are gonna be a lot better this year and now that they got a little beef up on the defensive line it may be older guys that are just one year players this should be a better run stopping defense along with Trayvon diggs and you add in kneeland up there.. I don't know how it's gonna hurt other aspects of the defense we've had over the last three years with like big time turnovers but I can see where this has become a positive that just should be a better team as far as consistency goes against any team is instead of just beating up on the bad teams like our other defense did but not show up against the good teams I think we'll be less spectacular less hero ball but I think more consistent over the entire season no matter who we play we shouldn't look much different I think that's at Zimmer brings to this defense.

Jarntt

Reaction score
I'm not really sure there is anything all that meaningful or anything that wasn't already obvious in those "infographics", but yeah, we all expect better LBer play this year due to hopefully health, bigger DTs in front of them, actually playing LBers at the LBer position and hopefully playing 3 LBers on run downs

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Two things really pop out.

-The linebacker room was hammered by injury. 29 missed starts from the expected pre-camp starters.
-With the injury to Overshown...Marquese Bell, a 210 lb safety, was pushed into playing a lot of his snaps at linebacker.

Note: Micah played a little LB but I don't think it was much and I don't have the data for that.
It probably would have helped if we had played Micah at least a little more at linebacker after LVE got hurt and maybe let Williams absorb some of Micah's DE snaps. Not saying Micah shouldn't be rushing the passer, but he could have done it from linebacker and been in a better position when it was a run to not try to hold his ground against OL with 60 to 90 pounds on him.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kendricks ...10th year in the league. Past his prime
Overshown... zero experience and history of injuries.
Damone.....very slow development.....actually was 20 PFF lower than Marquis Bell, if that's even possible
Liufau...zero NFL experience ...the jury is waiting
Kendricks can still play. All he was brought in here for. Be a leader. Won't be a full time player.
Overshown has been nothing but great. Hopefully he can stay healthy this year.
Clark is FINALLY playing his right position and has looked great.
Liafau has been great also and as advertised.

These guys can run and are fast. The upgrade from last year is HUGE. And Wilson is back this year also. You didn't mention Willie Harvey who looks like can play in this league and should make the team or Nick Vigil.

conner01

Reaction score
im looking forward to seeing Liafu-Kendricks-Overshown playing behind tank-Phillips(joseph)/Osa/Parsons
I really like the potential at LB. The scheme itself is gonna make the position much more important. So much of the time they will be in position to blitz which can confuse an oline if they get really good at it

shabazz

Reaction score
Kendricks can still play. All he was brought in here for. Be a leader. Won't be a full time player.

These guys can run and are fast. The upgrade from last year is HUGE. And Wilson is back this year also. You didn't mention Willie Harvey who looks like can play in this league and should make the team or Nick Vigil.
Valid points but 3 of the 4 have never played a down in a Cowboys uniform and 2 have zero NFL game experience.

Not enough proven talent for me to get giddy about at THIS point.

I'm not saying they wont.....I need to see the product on the field with inxperienced and often injured players

shabazz

Reaction score

Since you brought up both these guys

Vigil and Harvey just got absolutely manhandled on that 70 yard run...

Unfortunately, the guy that I've been touting ( pet cat) safety, Julius Woods took an horrible angle on that same play....

We can hope and just wait for the evidence to present itself

T-RO

Reaction score
Before sharing the projections let's explore big picture reasons why the LB core will improve (a lot) this season.

1. Depth. After week 5 when LVE went down...our third linebacker was Malik Jefferson, who has never started a game in his journeyman career and who only made 3 tackles for us last year. Malik was our 3rd backer! Depth will be greatly improved.

In the playoffs we were forced to roll with scrub LB Buddy Johnson for 25 plays and Malik for 22 plays. Does anyone here not think that played a huge factor in our wipe-out loss?

Reasons 2-6 for optimism upcoming..

T-RO

Reaction score
LVE was definitely one of the most underappreciated players here.
I agree to a point. He was solid, played his assignments. But I don't think he was fast w/his reads, or great at shedding blocks. Wasn't a thumper.

Not enough proven talent for me to get giddy about at THIS point.
I ain't giddy. But highly optimistic. ;)

Clark still has yet to show the 3rd rounder with a first round grade play that cz said he was
Clark was a 5th round pick. He's played only slightly above that pedigree so far, but he has the size and speed to improve into a solid part of the LB room.