2024 Free agent OTs

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
As most of you know, we always sign a free agent at starting positions we lose via free agency. This is tricky coz you can't trust a band-aid with your LT position for the season. Which brings me to my next point. Let's say we were only willing to pay Tyron $10M. Well, that's not going to get you a quality starting LT replacement but it will get you top LG and you can kick Tyler outside. You can still draft an LT with 56 and use him as a swing until he's ready to start.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-free-agents-by-position/

Offensive Tackle​

Mike Onwenu and Jonah Williams should grab multi-year deals as free agents, but the rest of the offensive tackle class is a question mark. Mekhi Becton is physically talented but comes with health and motivation questions, while Tyron Smith, Trent Brown, and Donovan Smith have their own injury and age issues.

Offensive tackle is such a critical position that many OTs with potential concerns could find considerable contracts waiting in free agency.

1) Mike Onwenu
2) Jonah Williams
3) Tyron Smith
4) Mehki Becton
5) Trent Brown
6) Donovan Smith
7) Yosh Nijman
8) George Fant
9) Jermaine Eluemunor
10) Josh Jones

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
i enjoy how the media spins this...when he is with us he is an injury prone over 30 LT that is set to retire soon...leaving us he will be a miracle for another team

underpaid? 10 year contract with almost 25% unavailable...Tyron got Jerry to get his family off his back and set him up for life...he will go to the Jets and play for 8 games and then get hurt, it would be a miracle if he played all 17 and likely won't practice either all year

ShiningStar

Reaction score
While i do enjoy every player leaving us for better pastures, this is something Dallas had to do.

While i am not sold on the "All in" This is a move that does say "we are doing different things"

So i will give Dallas credit if they let him walk

Malhavoc

Reaction score
i enjoy how the media spins this...when he is with us he is an injury prone over 30 LT that is set to retire soon...leaving us he will be a miracle for another team

underpaid? 10 year contract with almost 25% unavailable...Tyron got Jerry to get his family off his back and set him up for life...he will go to the Jets and play for 8 games and then get hurt, it would be a miracle if he played all 17 and likely won't practice either all year
It’s hilarious. Moving Tyler Smith is the easiest decision of the off season. We have bigger issues to deal with.

Tussinman

Reaction score

No he was 100% underpaid this isn't even up for debate. He started 170 games in the NFL at the second most valuable position and made just under 100 million. That's a steal, if he had split the original extension in half he would of made more money just on the 2nd extension alone then his entire current career earnings.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
As most of you know, we always sign a free agent at starting positions we lose via free agency. This is tricky coz you can't trust a band-aid with your LT position for the season. Which brings me to my next point. Let's say we were only willing to pay Tyron $10M. Well, that's not going to get you a quality starting LT replacement but it will get you top LG and you can kick Tyler outside. You can still draft an LT with 56 and use him as a swing until he's ready to start.

Offensive Tackle​

Mike Onwenu and Jonah Williams should grab multi-year deals as free agents, but the rest of the offensive tackle class is a question mark. Mekhi Becton is physically talented but comes with health and motivation questions, while Tyron Smith, Trent Brown, and Donovan Smith have their own injury and age issues.

Offensive tackle is such a critical position that many OTs with potential concerns could find considerable contracts waiting in free agency.

1) Mike Onwenu
2) Jonah Williams
3) Tyron Smith
4) Mehki Becton
5) Trent Brown
6) Donovan Smith
7) Yosh Nijman
8) George Fant
9) Jermaine Eluemunor
10) Josh Jones
Nijman is a solid player who can play both sides. Perfect swing tackle.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Offensive Tackle​

1) Mike Onwenu
2) Jonah Williams
3) Tyron Smith
4) Mehki Becton
5) Trent Brown
6) Donovan Smith
7) Yosh Nijman
8) George Fant
9) Jermaine Eluemunor
10) Josh Jones
How many of these FA's will be available when FA starts? That is what really counts.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
No he was 100% underpaid this isn't even up for debate. He started 170 games in the NFL at the second most valuable position and made just under 100 million. That's a steal, if he had split the original extension in half he would of made more money just on the 2nd extension alone then his entire current career earnings.
this is to be debated, he got a record breaking contract at the time of signing...who forced him to do that? He was in a financial crisis and needed the funds - go look up the story on his family trying to run him to the ground and Jerry getting him and his wife settled. He asked for the contract at the time.

quickccc

Reaction score
How many of these FA's will be available when FA starts? That is what really counts.
Imo, we won't explore a top vet FA on the market. the top quality ones will have a market demand that Cap Boy Stephen
is not gonna anting up - when we have the option of moving Tyler over to LT as we did for his rookie year.
and drafting a LG (if they are not sold on TJ Bass as a starter)

Now should a top regard OT that is already high on the Cowboys draft board somehow slip down to our 1st rd
and they have him valued around that low 1st/high 2nd rd pick - that could instantly change the dynamics.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The Cowboys will sign this year's version of Chuma Edoga or Mackenzie Bernardaeu. They will then draft this year's version of Matt Waletzko or Josh Ball in the late 5th. Many here will applaud.

Trey Lance in 2025 is sooooo screwed.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
How is Jonah Williams #2? 17 games in two seasons of Tyron Smith would be better than 34 games from Jonah Williams. He has been consistently awful his whole career

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Offensive Tackle​

1) Mike Onwenu
2) Jonah Williams
3) Tyron Smith
4) Mehki Becton
5) Trent Brown
6) Donovan Smith
7) Yosh Nijman
8) George Fant
9) Jermaine Eluemunor
10) Josh Jones
The only real alternative to a 1st round LT is Tyler Smith

Carson

Reaction score

They always do this

I remember when we lost like 3/4 of our secondary in Carr, Claiborne and Barry church and it was like we lost the legion of Boom

exciter

Reaction score

Tyron has missed 48 games in 13 seasons (3.7 games a season) while averaging 10m per season.
Trent Williams who everyone seems to fawn over has missed 49 games in 14 seasons (3.5 a season) and is playing on a 6yr 130m contract.
Terron Armstead has missed 58 games in 11 seasons and is playing on a 5yr 87m contract with 54m guaranteed.
Yeah, Tyron is underpaid and under appreciated by a fan base many of which have the basic reasoning skills of a turnip!

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The boys do not need a free agent tackle. They drafted one, he's just been playing guard. If they aren't kicking Tyler to tackle them they should bring back Tyrone but grooming or paying a guard is much cheaper. And they handicapped themselves with some bloated contracts already.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Offensive Tackle​

1) Mike Onwenu
2) Jonah Williams
3) Tyron Smith
4) Mehki Becton
5) Trent Brown
6) Donovan Smith
7) Yosh Nijman
8) George Fant
9) Jermaine Eluemunor
10) Josh Jones
What pays more free agent OT or free agent Guard?

We can move Tyler Smith to LT. Did Bass show enough to start at Gaurd???

Loso86

Reaction score

It's true though, when the guy plays he is a top 5 LT still