2024 has 2010 vibes to me, given the similarities

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
In 2010, Wade Phillips was coming off his 3rd straight disappointing finish as his 11-5 team in 2009 got blown out in the divisional round. Jerry gave him another chance to get it right. Facing that pressure, Wade's boys got off to a terrible start and Jerry did what he should've done after the 2009 debacle - he fired Wade midseason.

This year Jerry's running it back with Big Mike, despite a 3rd straight disappointment ending with a playoff blowout. If the Cowboys felt pressure to deliver in 2023 it is only going to be higher in 2024. The 21st century Cowboys have rarely handled pressure well, so I won't be surprised if we get more of the same in 2024.

I don't think there's a JG on this year's staff unless DQ stays on as defensive coordinator. Either way, get your popcorn ready.

EJK24

Reaction score
In 2010, Wade Phillips was coming off his 3rd straight disappointing finish as his 11-5 team in 2009 got blown out in the divisional round. Jerry gave him another chance to get it right. Facing that pressure, Wade's boys got off to a terrible start and Jerry did what he should've done after the 2009 debacle - he fired Wade midseason.

This year Jerry's running it back with Big Mike, despite a 3rd straight disappointment ending with a playoff blowout. If the Cowboys felt pressure to deliver in 2023 it is only going to be higher in 2024. The 21st century Cowboys have rarely handled pressure well, so I won't be surprised if we get more of the same in 2024.

I don't think there's a JG on this year's staff unless DQ stays on as defensive coordinator. Either way, get your popcorn ready.
I thought about this same scenario. We were in GB (Yep same team who blew us out of the water last week), and we were getting blown out. We got beat 45-7 and Wade got canned. I can't see MM fixing this next season. I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't last the full season, much like Wade that year. Feels like a lost season coming up...

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score

You thought Wade should have been fired after 13-3, 9-7, 11-5 and blowing out the Eagles in the first round for our first playoff win in like 15 years? Really?

I actually agree that next year could well be a disaster. But I think it's weird to want coaches fired in those situations. What's going to happen when we have a really bad run, like a non-winning season? Fire the coach every year? If Jerry did that, I bet you'd blame him for being too quick to pull the trigger. In fact, I know you would.

If Jerry fired Mike and the team went 10-7 with a new coach and missed the playoffs, are you sure you'd still say Jerry had done the right thing?

I understand hating Jerry. Most of us do. But at least be reasonable about it.

And BTW, this was the first embarrassment. The losses to SF the last two years were close games, and -- like it or not -- the Niners are just better than we are.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This is like a test question with multiple right answers…2010, 2018 (after the rams used a fat guy RB the couch to destroy us on the ground), 2023….could argue other seasons too, lol.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
You thought Wade should have been fired after 13-3, 9-7, 11-5 and blowing out the Eagles in the first round for our first playoff win in like 15 years? Really?

I actually agree that next year could well be a disaster. But I think it's weird to want coaches fired in those situations. What's going to happen when we have a really bad run, like a non-winning season? Fire the coach every year? If Jerry did that, I bet you'd blame him for being too quick to pull the trigger. In fact, I know you would.

If Jerry fired Mike and the team went 10-7 with a new coach and missed the playoffs, are you sure you'd still say Jerry had done the right thing?

I understand hating Jerry. Most of us do. But at least be reasonable about it.

And BTW, this was the first embarrassment. The losses to SF the last two years were close games, and -- like it or not -- the Niners are just better than we are.
I never wanted Wade hired in the first place. Another coach who was desperate for a second chance after previously flaming out in Buffalo. Jerry likes that.

Parcells left him an up and coming team yet he had the same postseason issues as Big Mike. Then it all fell apart. Will history repeat itself? We shall see.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score

What's funny is I posted something similar a year ago expecting the 2023 season to resemble 2010. So I was pleasantly surprised by how the 2023 regular season went. But I agree, eventually the bottom is going to fall out. All of the signs are there. This organization has no foresight on when to cut losses, smartly take 2-3 steps backwards to ultimately take one giant leap forward. They'll blindly keep chugging ahead talking about how close they are until they fall into an abyss. Again it will always point back to the clowns running the team who are never in any jeapordy of losing their jobs. So fans should expect the same vicious cycle....

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I never wanted Wade hired in the first place. Another coach who was desperate for a second chance after previously flaming out in Buffalo. Jerry likes that.

Parcells left him an up and coming team yet he had the same postseason issues as Big Mike. Then it all fell apart. Will history repeat itself? We shall see.
Is there any coach you'd be happy with? I mean, it's Jerry making the hiring.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score

:popcorn:.....Gonna be wild..... MM probably shocked he gets a do over. Pressure will mount i am sure. Not just for him, but the team will feel it too, and yes they don't take pressure well.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
100%. I've been saying the same thing. At least they'll get DQ a trial run when he takes over midseason.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Here I am hoping we lose every game.
I would rather have that, as it might force changes.
That's better than a rerun of the last 3 years.

TWOK11

Reaction score
So what happens if they are better next year? Do the rest of us get an apology for having to endure what at that point will have been an 8+ month long menstrual bleed from some of you?

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
I have that same feeling. They thought we can bring the same team back and just needed to upgrade the special teams lol.
Same here. It's the same feeling coming from the front office of 'guess this will be our coach and team next year, so whatever'.

ATXSRT

Reaction score
It's giving me 2015 vibes honestly... 2014 we should have gone far, just like 2023. 2024 will be abysmal. I think something tragic happens likely a huge injury or lots of injuries to make this upcoming season catastrophic. That will eventually lead to change of QB, coaches etc...

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
I like Mike, actually wanted to keep him, but based on the social media sniping, it’s clear he’s lost the team.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
VIBES ?? OK Buddy. Whatever get's you thru the night! So are you suggesting a tank job?
It's giving me 2015 vibes honestly... 2014 we should have gone far, just like 2023. 2024 will be abysmal. I think something tragic happens likely a huge injury or lots of injuries to make this upcoming season catastrophic. That will eventually lead to change of QB, coaches etc...
So you are projecting a CASTASTRPHIC or many Catastrophic injuries. And I get timed out for Breaking board rules

Wishing that out Qb and others get Injured ............ OK!

Ignored

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
Cowboys have benefited from a pretty terrible NFC the last few years but I think that is starting to turn which won't make matters easier.

Big_D

Reaction score
2010 was a disaster because Jerry couldn’t make a single quality decision after Parcells left. He rode that team until it fizzled out. I’m not pleased with how this season ended but they are certainly in better shape compared to that mess.