#23 on the Texans tried to horsecollar JJ...

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
Why no flag? Do they only throw the flags on successful horsecollars? The guy grabbed JJ by the back of his shoulderpads but JJ broke free. (It was on the TD run.) Anyway, just curious. I'm of the opinion that a flag for a horsecollar will ONLY be thrown at Roy. That sucks but it's coming...

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Tass said:
Why no flag? Do they only throw the flags on successful horsecollars? The guy grabbed JJ by the back of his shoulderpads but JJ broke free. (It was on the TD run.) Anyway, just curious. I'm of the opinion that a flag for a horsecollar will ONLY be thrown at Roy. That sucks but it's coming...

Basically, It's ok to horsecollar a RB unless he's already way downfield, so it may not have applied. There's a whole "tackle box...etc" clause in the thing.

Regardless, it's an immensly stupid rule put in place only because TO got hurt.

...and Roy will get screwed by it.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
The horsecolar was called in the first week of preseason but I don't think it's been called since.

godofwar

Reaction score
I saw the play. JJ was already 15 yards downfield, but to me, it looked like the DB let loose rather than try to bring him down that way.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
godofwar said:
I saw the play. JJ was already 15 yards downfield, but to me, it looked like the DB let loose rather than try to bring him down that way.

Thats exactly what happened. He grabbed JJ's collar and pretty much instantly let go as soon as he did.

JDSmith

Reaction score
Oh yeah, he was WAY beyond any tackle box. It was a 21 yard run and JJ was probably already to the 10 and on the sideline before the guy tried it. I guess it's only a horse collar if it's done BY a Cowboys player.

JDSmith

Reaction score
Dallas said:
Thats exactly what happened. He grabbed JJ's collar and pretty much instantly let go as soon as he did.

I don't think that's the case at all. I just don't think he had the hand strength to pull him down and lost his grip. I've seen other guys do the same thing, before the rule was in place. It's not easy to grab a man with tree trunk legs and pull him backwards when he's running away from you.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
JDSmith said:
I don't think that's the case at all. I just don't think he had the hand strength to pull him down and lost his grip. I've seen other guys do the same thing, before the rule was in place. It's not easy to grab a man with tree trunk legs and pull him backwards when he's running away from you.

In either case. We were just saying he didnt tackle him by it. That pretty much made it a no penalty play in my book. If he let go of it or slipped off of it. No penatly.

JDSmith

Reaction score
Dallas said:
In either case. We were just saying he didnt tackle him by it. That pretty much made it a no penalty play in my book. If he let go of it or slipped off of it. No penatly.

Oh, so it's like a facemask when you let go right away and don't tackle him by it... right?

More evidence that it's an absolutely ridiculous rule.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Dallas said:
that's not the way the facemask rule works and it should not be the way this rule works. Just because the player attempting it doesn't have what it takes to make the play that way does not mean he should get away with trying it. The fact that it is a Horsecollar "TACKLE" rule and he didn't make a "tackle" I guess is what saved him.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
JDSmith said:
Oh, so it's like a facemask when you let go right away and don't tackle him by it... right?

More evidence that it's an absolutely ridiculous rule.
Bingo! :hammer:

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
that's not the way the facemask rule works and it should not be the way this rule works. Just because the player attempting it doesn't have what it takes to make the play that way does not mean he should get away with trying it. The fact that it is a Horsecollar "TACKLE" rule and he didn't make a "tackle" I guess is what saved him.

Come on guys. Its hard to argue bringing a guys neck around for a second by his facemask and letting go to sliding off the guys collar.

I didnt like the no facemask call the refs did lastnight either. That was just freakin strange. How do you call it then pick up the flag? Parcells was puzzled over that one to.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
While I agree the rule is mornic, the way the rule was implemented is that making the tackle using the collar is illegal. Having a failed attempt is not

godofwar

Reaction score
Undoubtedly the "Horse Collar" Rule is foolish. It is a knee-jerk reaction to the potential loss of high dollar players. But, to my eyes last night, the DB let loose knowing the kind of tackle he was about to try.

JDSmith

Reaction score
godofwar said:
Undoubtedly the "Horse Collar" Rule is foolish. It is a knee-jerk reaction to the potential loss of high dollar players. But, to my eyes last night, the DB let loose knowing the kind of tackle he was about to try.

There would be no reason for him to do that. Give up the sure TD or take the 'half the distance to the goal line' penalty... If he truly let go his coach would bench him for being stupid. You take the penalty and save the TD and live to fight another down unless you are a complete moron. If one of our players did that and gave up a TD Parcells would probably cut him.

godofwar

Reaction score
Maybe he is a moron. Maybe he will be cut. But just maybe the only thing that went through his head was "don't horse collar". I can only tell you my impression of the play. To me, it looked like he let loose.

JDSmith

Reaction score
Sorry, just watched it again and I don't see it at all. The play was on about the 5 yard line. The guy dove and grabbed and just couldn't get the grip he wanted IMO. He was doing his absolute best to horse collar tackle Julius, he just couldn't pull it off.