25 years, let it go

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's like some kind of a cross some drag around, a curse, the last 25 years of futility overshadows everything and becomes the response to optimism and positivity.

With not enough changes in coaching, I can buy the malaise that set in but this is almost an entirely new coaching staff and picked by the new HC.

There are signs of change already here with the GM, seemingly, granting this HC more room and that seemed to be the course he wanted by wanting only a NFL proven HC.

The NFL is a year to year thing, look at the Niners, they weren't picked to win their own division, let alone the conference.

There is nothing to carry forward. The players have a clean slate with the coaches and even if the guy you wanted didn't get picked, why pick on this guy? The man has proven he can coach and he had a year off to reflect and take a good hard look at what his part might have been in the breakdown in GB. A man out to prove something is a most serious man to watch,

Big Mike had no part of those past 25 years, except maybe to kick us out of the playoffs, so he comes in with no baggage.

Life is hard, me buckos, take happiness when it's available. Instead of expecting him to fail, expect him to succeed and let the performance be the proof. This team is more talented than 8-8, we know it and he knows it. Let's let this unfold and play out and maybe those 25 years just become a fading memory.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It's like some kind of a cross some drag around, a curse, the last 25 years of futility overshadows everything and becomes the response to optimism and positivity.

With not enough changes in coaching, I can buy the malaise that set in but this is almost an entirely new coaching staff and picked by the new HC.

There are signs of change already here with the GM, seemingly, granting this HC more room and that seemed to be the course he wanted by wanting only a NFL proven HC.

The NFL is a year to year thing, look at the Niners, they weren't picked to win their own division, let alone the conference.

There is nothing to carry forward. The players have a clean slate with the coaches and even if the guy you wanted didn't get picked, why pick on this guy? The man has proven he can coach and he had a year off to reflect and take a good hard look at what his part might have been in the breakdown in GB. A man out to prove something is a most serious man to watch,

Big Mike had no part of those past 25 years, except maybe to kick us out of the playoffs, so he comes in with no baggage.

Life is hard, me buckos, take happiness when it's available. Instead of expecting him to fail, expect him to succeed and let the performance be the proof. This team is more talented than 8-8, we know it and he knows it. Let's let this unfold and play out and maybe those 25 years just become a fading memory.
I know that, you know that but there are people who are so miserable that they live by being negative. It’s who they are. It’s in their soul. They can’t change They don’t want to change because it makes them happy by trying to make everyone around them miserable.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

But there hasn't been one game played, one actual change seen and not one shred of proof that Jerry will actually allow for the HC and coaching staff to do there thing, without his interference. Never mind the question of if McCarthy and his staff are actually a good fit and can actually be successful here. I believe that most of this stems from what we know about the history over the last 25 years.

I can't blame anybody for being bitter or pissed off Coach. Time will definitely tell the tale.

Perhaps it's best to take the approach of, "To Each, His Own....", IDK.

I hope you are right thou.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
Yes, just let it go. It doesn't matter whether you're blue- or silver+ trying to get us all together will only produce shades of grey.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Excited about the coaching changes. Time will tell if Jerry will give the coach the control, I have my doubts but hope it is a change Jerry can handle.

Looking forward to the draft and next season.

I'll tell you this, I hope McClay and his staff still retain responsibility for drafting players. I believe that if given the right info, they do a very good job of identifying players that fit a given scheme. We tend to get in trouble, it seems, when Coaches or management are allowed to freelance, so to speak. McCarthy, and his staff will know what traits they want in players. If that communication takes place, then I think McClay and his people can find players.

JMO

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
But there hasn't been one game played, one actual change seen and not one shred of proof that Jerry will actually allow for the HC and coaching staff to do there thing, without his interference. Never mind the question of if McCarthy and his staff are actually a good fit and can actually be successful here. I believe that most of this stems from what we know about the history over the last 25 years.

I can't blame anybody for being bitter or pissed off Coach. Time will definitely tell the tale.

Perhaps it's best to take the approach of, "To Each, His Own....", IDK.

I hope you are right thou.
Trust but verify.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
like most have replied, time will tell. those of us who have been fans since early 90s (and like me since 81) know who Jerry is and have every right to question his ability to let a coach coach. There are reasons why this team hasn't sniffed a SB in 25 years, coaching staff is only a part of it.

Lets hope Jerry stays away and lets Mike and his coaching staff coach this team without interference. Notice a theme here?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

In 1996 there were people still complaining that Jerry fired Landry. Jerry had just won 3 Super Bowls in 7 years of owning the team.

People can't see that firing Garrett was the end of Jerry being involved as the GM. Stephen Jones is now handles all GM duties; although his title is CEO and director of player personnel. As somebody posted Jerry is not even at the Senior Bowl.

They can now operate like a regular team. If McCarty fails then SJ will fire him and get somebody else. SJ won't have to dance around Jerry's attachment to Garrett.

McCarthy is hiring his assistants. Garrett never really did that in part because Garrett didn't have "his guys" from previous jobs because he was never anybody's boss before coming to the Cowboys.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
In 1996 there were people still complaining that Jerry fired Landry. Jerry had just won 3 Super Bowls in 7 years of owning the team.

People can't see that firing Garrett was the end of Jerry being involved as the GM. Stephen Jones is now handles all GM duties; although his title is CEO and director of player personnel. As somebody posted Jerry is not even at the Senior Bowl.

They can now operate like a regular team. If McCarty fails then SJ will fire him and get somebody else. SJ won't have to dance around Jerry's attachment to Garrett.

McCarthy is hiring his assistants. Garrett never really did that in part because Garrett didn't have "his guys" from previous jobs because he was never anybody's boss before coming to the Cowboys.

I don't know if Jerry has totally relinquished control, but allowing McCarthy to hire his own assistants is HUGE, in my opinion. I had my doubts about McCarthy, but I do like the direction he's taking, and I've wanted for the longest time for the Cowboys to adopt the WCO.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know if Jerry has totally relinquished control, but allowing McCarthy to hire his own assistants is HUGE, in my opinion. I had my doubts about McCarthy, but I do like the direction he's taking, and I've wanted for the longest time for the Cowboys to adopt the WCO.

All the players on the roster, all the contracts, all the scouting department and now all the coaches were Stephen Jones decisions.

As long as nobody gets between Jerry and a camera, or microphone everything will go as planned by SJ.

Owners that never claimed to be the GM are involved in some decisions but Jerry is not involved in player acquisition.

Flamma

Reaction score
On a positive note, there are still 7 teams that have waited longer to return to the SB. It was 8 before the AFC championship game.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

McCarthy isn't getting any different treatment or "more room" than Garrett or Johnson or Parcels. Jones has only put his nose in to select two position coaches twice with prior head coaches. Except for Garrett getting hired as OC 4 days before Philips was named head coach and a position coach that Jones told Dave Campo that he would remain as a coach. Other than those two all of the Cowboys coaches have hired their own staffs.

RS12

Reaction score
Jerry still breathing so the results will be the usual leading in jersey sales but deep post season runs not as much.