26 years old and 400 catches in NFL = Priceless

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
LarryCanadian;2448736 said:
As a TE! Witten will keep on rolling. That is one tough hombre and one darn good player. I would say he is also one of the top 3 leaders on the team and one of the few visibly vocal ones. Leads by example too.

Love this guy. 26. Man was that a good pick!

LarryCanadian

Good post. JW is one of my all time favs. Good attitude, plays through injury and stays quiet.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Not trying to highjack this thread, but I am starting to like Bennett more and more. I knew he would be a redzone demon this year and he appears to be getting better and better. Just imagine in a few years when Bennett starts to come into his own and Witten is still in his prime...scary.

joseephuss

Reaction score
RoadRunner;2448772 said:
You know I had to admit it today. Witten is the best TE in our team's history. I don't usually like to anoint guys till they have achieved the kinds of things Billy Joe Dupree, Doug Cosbie, and Jay Novacek did, but Witten is just unbelievable.

He keeps this going and he will definitely be considered one of the best TE in league history.

Witten has achieved the kinds of things Billy Joe Dupree, Doug Cosbie and Jay Novacek did. Witten is the franchise leader for receptions by a tight end and receiving yards by a tight end.

receptions by a tight end
406 Witten in his 6th season
339 Jay Novacek 6 seasons
300 Doug Cosbie10 seasons
267 Billy Joe Dupree 11 seasons

receiving yards by a tight end
4692 Witten
3728 Doug Cosbie
3576 Jay Novacek
3565 Billy Joe Dupree

TDs
41 Billy Joe Dupree
30 Doug Cosbie
24 Witten
21 Jay Novacek

Witten will eventually get the franchise TD record by a tight end.

RoadRunner

Reaction score
DeepBleu;2448873 said:
witten is really really good, but gates and gonzo at their prime are better.

That is mere speculation and opinion at this point as Witten in on a pace that will have him right at about the same totals for a career in every category.

If Witten stays healthy and plays longer, then he will most likely break all of Gonzales records. Witten may not even be in his prime yet being only 26 years old.

RoadRunner

Reaction score
joseephuss;2449104 said:
Witten has achieved the kinds of things Billy Joe Dupree, Doug Cosbie and Jay Novacek did. Witten is the franchise leader for receptions by a tight end and receiving yards by a tight end.

4692 Witten
3728 Doug Cosbie
3576 Jay Novacek
3565 Billy Joe Dupree

TDs
41 Billy Joe Dupree
30 Doug Cosbie
24 Witten
21 Jay Novacek

Witten will eventually get the franchise TD record by a tight end.

Witten needs a SB ring before the stats really mean anything.

joseephuss

Reaction score
RoadRunner;2449179 said:
Witten needs a SB ring before the stats really mean anything.

A Superbowl ring is a team stat. It takes an entire team to win a Superbowl, not just a tight end. Put Witten with the Cowboys in the 90s and he would have a few rings. Put Novacek in Dallas now and Dallas would be in the same position. Witten is doing everything he can to get Dallas a Superbowl win. It is going to take more than just Witten to make that happen.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
joseephuss;2449104 said:

4692 Witten
3728 Doug Cosbie
3576 Jay Novacek
3565 Billy Joe Dupree

TDs
41 Billy Joe Dupree
30 Doug Cosbie
24 Witten
21 Jay Novacek
Thank you for taking the time to post this.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jason Witten:
  • Clutch receiving tight end.
  • Plays with broken jaw, broken ribs, etc.
  • Doesn't outwardly boast before, during and after games
  • Allows himself to be judged only by his level of play on the field
  • Avoids granting totally unnecessary media interviews
  • Respected throughout the league and its fans and *gasp* even by the media???
Okay, that's impossible. He ain't human. :mad: Paint chips are soooo tasty! :popcorn:

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
One thing I would say about Witten, compared to Gonzales and Gates is that he plays on an offense with historically more weapons. This helps get him open yes, but TO, Glenn, Roy Williams, etc are better weapons than KC and San Diego have had (although SD, Tomlinson gets so many touches it pulls from TE focus too). It's not like in KC where Gonzales has been the number 1 receiving threat since I can remember (at least in most people's minds).

Witten is just so complete with the blocking and leadership and toughness. Witten isn't anywhere near as agile or fast as Gonzales, but he gets it DONE!

As for Bennett, well this kid has all the tools too. He does block hard, and seems to be freakishly strong, and with decent hands. Can we have a better mentor for him than Witten, especially if personality/hunger is Bennett's knock. This is looking like a great chemistry here!

But yeah, the main thing I find hard to believe is the 26 years old thing. Witten is a man amongst boys at 26. Feels like he's been here for so long already!

LarryCanadian

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
LarryCanadian;2449410 said:
One thing I would say about Witten, compared to Gonzales and Gates is that he plays on an offense with historically more weapons. This helps get him open yes, but TO, Glenn, Roy Williams, etc are better weapons than KC and San Diego have had (although SD, Tomlinson gets so many touches it pulls from TE focus too). It's not like in KC where Gonzales has been the number 1 receiving threat since I can remember (at least in most people's minds).

Witten is just so complete with the blocking and leadership and toughness. Witten isn't anywhere near as agile or fast as Gonzales, but he gets it DONE!

As for Bennett, well this kid has all the tools too. He does block hard, and seems to be freakishly strong, and with decent hands. Can we have a better mentor for him than Witten, especially if personality/hunger is Bennett's knock. This is looking like a great chemistry here!

But yeah, the main thing I find hard to believe is the 26 years old thing. Witten is a man amongst boys at 26. Feels like he's been here for so long already!

LarryCanadian
Yeah but this wasn't at all the case for the first couple years of Witten's career. In fact, you could almost make the opposite argument -- his numbers benefited greatly because he was by far the best target, at least for a couple seasons, which is to his credit.

landryscorner

Reaction score
TOUGH as Nails
SOLID as a Rock

Witten is one in a Million.

I always thought Novaceck was the best the cowboys ever had(exclucing the vintage players)

But Witten is just amazing!

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
TEs were a different commody back when I was still relatively young. 12 games a year, less passing, more blocking. A different game. I do believe Witten could play in that era and do well. He'd have about the same number of catches as Billie Joe.

Compared to modern TEs he's still arguably the most complete TE in the game. But he'll need Dallas to play like now and have someone like Romo until he retires. He should have Romo. And hopefully Dallas will still be winning. He has a chance to go to the HOF.

khiladi

Reaction score
Can you believe we have both Witten and Bennett on this team? Bennett looks like he can be a HOF himself...

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
khiladi;2449829 said:
Can you believe we have both Witten and Bennett on this team? Bennett looks like he can be a HOF himself...

He needs a few more seasons before I think of him that way. It's premature to think of Witten as a HOF candidate but I think it's fair to think of him that way if Witten and Dallas keep playing the same way.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
DeepBleu;2448873 said:
i am still laughing. put gates in the cowboys offense, and see what kind of number he wold put up. witten is really really good, but gates and gonzo at their prime are better.

Fail.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Man to think about that he could honestly play anywhere from 6-8 more years here and put up some insane career numbers for this team.

He's probably my favorite player on the team currently and maybe top 3 or 4 favorite of all time.

newlander

Reaction score
I almost get wood thinking of our TE situation. Witten and Bennett: one future HOF player and another young future pro bowler. NIIIICE>