2nd round or later qbs

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I know everybody wants a first round guy but 2nd round or later is deeper this year than others. Trask might be there in round 2 so might Jamie Newman. Kellen Mond and Brock Purdy are possibles. Wed be foolish to rely on more years of Cooper Rush nonsense

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
For a backup you mean?

If you're drafting a QB to replace Dak, you have to do it early. Otherwise, there's no point in spending a 2nd on a backup quarterback when you can get a contributor other places. Kellen Mond and Brock Purdy (I don't think they're even second-round talents) wouldn't have been an upgrade to anything we had this year.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
I am by no means any kind of expert, but I've watched TAMU for quite some time.

The thing that worries me about Mond is it took him forever to become a "decent" QB. I would think anything higher than a 6/7 would be reaching significantly.

Then again, he's taken some pretty decent strides this year as well I think. I'll let those of y'all far more superior in the art of analyzing take it further than my casual fan point of view.

visionary

Reaction score
Bad idea

You either pick a starter at the top if you’re moving on from Dak or resign Dak and use the current backups you already have and use the draft capital for other spots. Top of rd 2 should produce a starter on defense

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
For decades in my draft research, I'd always want to identify the QB with great size, tools, etc. that maybe could be drafted later that could develop for two years and become a really good QB down the road.

The it dawned on me about 10 years ago. Dallas does not have the type of coaches who can develop those type of quarterbacks.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Nope..

I'm done with the middle round trash.

Draft an elite prospect.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
For a backup you mean?

If you're drafting a QB to replace Dak, you have to do it early. Otherwise, there's no point in spending a 2nd on a backup quarterback when you can get a contributor other places. Kellen Mond and Brock Purdy (I don't think they're even second-round talents) wouldn't have been an upgrade to anything we had this year.
A backuup who can one day start potentially.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
A backuup who can one day start potentially.
That's a first-round pick. There's exactly one quality starter who has been drafted in the second round since 2010: Derek Carr. Jimmy G, Andy Dalton and Kaep weren't quality starters and everything else in the second round has been...bad.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Don't be surprised they take flyers on a later rounder. Remember MM said he wanna always have a development guy in the room.

cowboyec

Reaction score
sam ehlinger,texas
deriq king,miami
shane buechele,smu

those are 3 i'd like as back-up/developmental types you might get mid-late rds.

Bigdog

Reaction score
For a backup you mean?

True and the only upgrade to Dak would be Lawrence and we are not going to get a chance to do that, IMO.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I know everybody wants a first round guy but 2nd round or later is deeper this year than others. Trask might be there in round 2 so might Jamie Newman. Kellen Mond and Brock Purdy are possibles. Wed be foolish to rely on more years of Cooper Rush nonsense

Trask has more chance of being the second QB off the board than slipping to the second round. I'm a big Justin Fields fan, but what Trask has done this season is remarkable. And it's not like he came out of nowhere. He was a very highly ranked player as a recruit. I would not be at all shocked if he jumps Fields by draft day

I'm gonna take a lot of heat for this, but I stand by it. He's far more Pro ready as a passer than Fields.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Trask has more chance of being the second QB off the board than slipping to the second round. I'm a big Justin Fields fan, but what Trask has done this season is remarkable. And it's not like he came out of nowhere. He was a very highly ranked player as a recruit. I would not be at all shocked if he jumps Fields by draft day

I'm gonna take a lot of heat for this, but I stand by it. He's far more Pro ready as a passer than Fields.
He can pass but hes kind of a statue

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
He doesn't have anywhere close to the arm strength of Fields.

There's a chance he goes in the first round (though I don't see it), but there's no way he's passing all of Fields, Wilson and Lance. You could make a case that he's QB 6 better than QB 2.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
He doesn't have anywhere close to the arm strength of Fields.

There's a chance he goes in the first round (though I don't see it), but there's no way he's passing all of Fields, Wilson and Lance. You could make a case that he's QB 6 better than QB 2.

He may not have the strength of Fields, but he has better anticipation and a better ability to read the field. His arm is also plenty strong. He may wind up being QB6, because mistakes happen on draft day, but there is no way he's the sixth best QB in this draft today, or ten years from now.

I appreciate your opinion though and look forward to seeing how it shakes out. I knew it wouldn't be a popular opinion.