3-4 LB prospect - FA

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
You know...I would have thought we would have made some more 3-4 type moves...back up 3-4 or something to show the move to 3-4 other then Fergi who can play either base...

Starting to have questions if we make the move...earlier I was convinced it would happen, now I'm in wait and see mode.

To make it happen either Ellis or Glover will need to be moved and replaced with a Marcus Spears type player...we can get away with one undersized DE, but not two IMO....

Couple guys that could play 3-4 DE:
Spears
Sean Cody
Johnson
Castillo
Ellison

If we do not land any of these guys and attempt to move one of Ellis or Glover, then I don't see us moving to 3-4 base...just don't.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
You know...I would have thought we would have made some more 3-4 type moves...back up 3-4 or something to show the move to 3-4 other then Fergi who can play either base...

Starting to have questions if we make the move...earlier I was convinced it would happen, now I'm in wait and see mode.

To make it happen either Ellis or Glover will need to be moved and replaced with a Marcus Spears type player...we can get away with one undersized DE, but not two IMO....

Spears
Sean Cody
Johnson
Castillo
Ellison

If we do not land any of these guys and attempt to move one of Ellis or Glover, then I don't see us moving to 3-4 base...just don't.

I agree with you. I think Dallas will run some 3-4 just as they did last year but I still see our base defense being the 4-3

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I agree with you. I think Dallas will run some 3-4 just as they did last year but I still see our base defense being the 4-3

I hate to flip flop on my stance, but then again Jerrah and BP both said it depends on the off-season moves themselves. Not to say it won't happen, but at this point in time I'm not seeing it.

I love the pressure the 3-4 brings with it...but you gotta have the players.

I still think drafting a Merriman makes sense...even if we stay 4-3 because that type of dynamic player will make plays...ala Abraham or Kearse...so I hope we draft him still...if not him I'm warmong up to David Pollack.

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:

I hope so,I don't really like the 3-4.

Spontae

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:

Spears
Sean Cody
Johnson
Castillo
Ellison

I think it's all a smoke screen to cover our transition to the 10-1 defense, sometimes (albeit erroneously) referred to as the "Punt Return"...

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
We've made 2 Defensive moves

A true NT in Ferguson
a bigger CB

We talked to the undersized DT from Miami.....

Jury is still out - I think we play both 3-4 and 4-3 for a year.

Packers | Beisel to Visit Soon - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 10:07:59 -0700

Updating previous reports, Rob Demovsky, of PackersNews.com, reports the Green Bay Packers will entertain free agent LB Monty Beisel (Chiefs) Wednesday, April 6.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Patriots | Beisel to Visit - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 14:18:35 -0700

Mike Reiss, of Metrowest Daily News, reports free agent MLB Monty Beisel (Chiefs) is scheduled to arrive in New England Monday, April 4, for a workout with the New England Patriots.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Nors said:

A true NT in Ferguson
a bigger CB

Updating previous reports, Rob Demovsky, of PackersNews.com, reports the Green Bay Packers will entertain free agent LB Monty Beisel (Chiefs) Wednesday, April 6.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike Reiss, of Metrowest Daily News, reports free agent MLB Monty Beisel (Chiefs) is scheduled to arrive in New England Monday, April 4, for a workout with the New England Patriots.

It's what we have NOT DONE that tells the story.;)

Everything still comes down to this:

Ellis, Glover, Ferguson, Dat, and Singleton have all shown themselves as solid 4-3 players meaning we need a DE and a LB.

Ferguson is the only player we have that has played the 3-4 in the NFL everything else is unknown and unproven.

Five players that are proven or one player and a butt load of ???????

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Nors said:

A true NT in Ferguson
a bigger CB

I think we play a 4-3 and maybe an occasional change up to a 3-4. Ferguson is a 43 DT. It's true that he can play NT in a 3-4 but really, he's a better 43 1 technique. The CB is really nothing more then an upgrade with size at the CB position. I don't think you can read anything, at all, into that. We would play a bigger CB, with better skills regardless.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Beisel agrees to terms
The Patriots have agreed to terms with linebacker Monty Beisel on a two-year deal, according to sources. We're working on the story.

--Mike

» posted by Mike Reiss at 22:20:23
» permanent link to entry
» post comments in forum new

Beisel, Terrell & Maine Men
Mixed bag today on the Patriots’ front.

Things appear to be moving quickly with free-agent linebacker Monty Beisel, who visited Gillette Stadium on Tuesday, and the Patriots are believed to be one of three teams in the negotiating mix. Following the visit, Beisel traveled to Green Bay and met with the Packers. The Chiefs are also said to be one of three teams in the bidding to re-sign Beisel.

The 6-foot-3, 238-pound Beisel would add another piece to the team’s inside linebacker rotation. Beisel has played in 55 career games with nine starts, all of which came last season. He finished the 2004 campaign with 64 tackles (48 solo) and 2 1/2 sacks.

Beisel, who enters his fifth NFL season in 2005, is also a fine special teams player. Should the Patriots sign him, it would allow the team more flexibility on draft day, as inside linebacker is currently a high-need position.

Another free-agent linebacker, Jamie Sharper, is scheduled to visit the Bengals and Seahawks this week, according to published reports. No word on if the Patriots are in the mix.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Nors said:
Beisel agrees to terms
The Patriots have agreed to terms with linebacker Monty Beisel on a two-year deal, according to sources. We're working on the story.

--Mike

» posted by Mike Reiss at 22:20:23
» permanent link to entry
» post comments in forum new

Beisel, Terrell & Maine Men
Mixed bag today on the Patriots’ front.

Things appear to be moving quickly with free-agent linebacker Monty Beisel, who visited Gillette Stadium on Tuesday, and the Patriots are believed to be one of three teams in the negotiating mix. Following the visit, Beisel traveled to Green Bay and met with the Packers. The Chiefs are also said to be one of three teams in the bidding to re-sign Beisel.

The 6-foot-3, 238-pound Beisel would add another piece to the team’s inside linebacker rotation. Beisel has played in 55 career games with nine starts, all of which came last season. He finished the 2004 campaign with 64 tackles (48 solo) and 2 1/2 sacks.

Beisel, who enters his fifth NFL season in 2005, is also a fine special teams player. Should the Patriots sign him, it would allow the team more flexibility on draft day, as inside linebacker is currently a high-need position.

Another free-agent linebacker, Jamie Sharper, is scheduled to visit the Bengals and Seahawks this week, according to published reports. No word on if the Patriots are in the mix.

Good...now this thread can be moved to the NFL zone, where we can discuss teams that will run the 3-4 as a base.....

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Good mornin Glooms

Yup no way we'd do it in 2004. Parcells proceeded to put it in playbook and did use it some. 2005 we will use 3-4 MUCH more!!!!!