3-4 linebackers?

tvooz

Reaction score
who plays? i'm sure of only two spots.

lolb - ???
lilb - dat
rilb - ???
rolb - ware

who remains on the team and how many will we carry?

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
tvooz said:

lolb - ???
lilb - dat
rilb - ???
rolb - ware

Good question. Its going to be a battle.

Eventually, I suspect Burnett will man one OLB position. I expect James and Shanle to battle for the other inside position.

I suspect Nguyen, Burnett, Ware, James and Shanle will probably be on the team for sure. Thornton will probably make the team again.

I would suspect a couple of the guys from Singleton, Goolsby, Cooper, Fowler and O'Neil will make the team as well.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Ware
Shanle
Dat
Burnett

Thornton
James
Fowler
O'neill

Not sure how many LB's he'll carrY.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
I think Burnett's starting will have more to do with his hip than anyone else beating him out.. I wouldn't rule out singleton making this team.. he's not flashy.. but he does do most of the necessary things.. However I really do hope that Burnett takes his spot!!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
tvooz said:

lolb - ???
lilb - dat
rilb - ???
rolb - ware

Good question.

I am rooting for Burnett, but I won't be shocked if Singleton ends up getting the nod. I also won't be shocked if he ends up odd man out. There is something to be said for veteran presence even if it means he'd be switching sides of the field. If he starts he won't keep Burnett on the bench long.

The other ILB slot concerns me a bit. I am not sold on James or Shanle yet quite frankly. I am rooting for James because I was really excited when we drafted him, but I'll admit I haven't been blown away yet.

An ILB I really like to make the team and contribute on ST is Mike Goolsby. Don't count him out, but he won't start for a while if ever. Plays hard all the time and is smart.

Thornton would be my choice to backup Ware the few times we take Ware off the field. I'd carry 8 LBs, all named in this post.

blindzebra

Reaction score
We are still a LB away from a solid 3-4 group, too many question marks in Shanle, James, Fowler, Thornton, Goolsby, Cooper and O'Neil.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
We are still a LB away from a solid 3-4 group, too many question marks in Shanle, James, Fowler, Thornton, Goolsby, Cooper and O'Neil.

Don't we have to nickname Cooper "D.B." if he doesn't do much in games?

blindzebra

Reaction score
junk said:
Don't we have to nickname Cooper "D.B." if he doesn't do much in games?

No, only if he grabs Jerry and Bill's wallets and jumps off the team's plane.;)

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Ware, Dat, Shanle, Burnett

Thornton, Fowler, James, Singleton

Prolly keep 9 backers with 7-9 being very good ST guys.
It would not all suprise me to see Singleton releaed to save some bucks and keep guys with more upside. BUT he could certainly win the job as well. Burnett isn't going full speed yet.

blindzebra

Reaction score
jterrell said:
Ware, Dat, Shanle, Burnett

Thornton, Fowler, James, Singleton

Prolly keep 9 backers with 7-9 being very good ST guys.
It would not all suprise me to see Singleton releaed to save some bucks and keep guys with more upside. BUT he could certainly win the job as well. Burnett isn't going full speed yet.

Not enough roster spots to keep 9 LBs.

7-8 DL, 8 LB, 4 safeties, 5-6 CB = 24-26

3 QB, 4-5 RB/FB, 5-6 WR, 3-4 TE, 9-10 OL = 24-28

K, P, LS = 2-3

I think we will keep 3 QB, 4 RB/FB, 5 WR, 4 TE/LS, and 9 OL = 25

8 DL, 8 LB, 4 safeties, 6 CB = 26

1 K, 1 P = 2

Since Ware can also play some DE I can see us keeping 7 DL and adding another OL, back or WR.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
blindzebra said:

K, P, LS = 2-3

1 K, 1 P = 2

Since Ware can also play some DE I can see us keeping 7 DL and adding another OL, back or WR.

Good break down Zebra. I agree I don't see us keeping 9 linebackers either. And I agree on the 6 corners.

Joe a Cowboys fan

Reaction score
blindzebra said:

K, P, LS = 2-3

1 K, 1 P = 2

I think we will only have 5 CBs(living dangerously) and 8 OL(also living dangerously). Our WRs are fragile so I can't see any less than 5. But at S I think we will keep 5 unless some one besides Roy shows as capable back ups at SS and as potential starters at FS. This is a camp that should have some tremendous competition. Can we stash a 4th RB on the PS and continue with a summer of living dangerously?

blindzebra

Reaction score
Joe a Cowboys fan said:
I think we will only have 5 CBs(living dangerously) and 8 OL(also living dangerously). Our WRs are fragile so I can't see any less than 5. But at S I think we will keep 5 unless some one besides Roy shows as capable back ups at SS and as potential starters at FS. This is a camp that should have some tremendous competition. Can we stash a 4th RB on the PS and continue with a summer of living dangerously?

So you will run short at RB, CB, and OL where we actually have some quality depth so we can keep an extra safety because everyone but Roy is questionable and LB with equally shakey depth?

Okay.:rolleyes:

silver

Reaction score
tvooz said:

lolb - ??? - shanle/burnett
lilb - dat
rilb - ??? - james/shanle
rolb - ware

ware
burnett
dat
shanle
james
singleton
fowler
o'neil

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Last year I remember an article that said that Parcell's preferred to carry exta LB's and less DL in the 3-4. That the LBs helped on STs more and that he felt you could get away with only six DL since there are only three starting spots.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
Last year I remember an article that said that Parcell's preferred to carry exta LB's and less DL in the 3-4. That the LBs helped on STs more and that he felt you could get away with only six DL since there are only three starting spots.

We should carry 7 DL thsi year and 8 LBs. BZ's numbers aren't far off but I doubt we keep double digit OL. BP does like the backups to play ST for sure.

blindzebra

Reaction score
jterrell said:
We should carry 7 DL thsi year and 8 LBs. BZ's numbers aren't far off but I doubt we keep double digit OL. BP does like the backups to play ST for sure.

Ware and Thornton are keys since both can put a hand on the ground at DE in a pinch.

The breakdown will come down to who is returning kicks and playing gunners on ST. I'm guessing we will try to keep an additional back or WR over keeping 8 DL or 10 OL.

Unless Goolsby and/or Cooper really show something, I don't see 9 LBs worth keeping on the roster.