3-5 step drops from the Giants

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I think we will see this again - they will want to neutralize the rush and take advantage of the deep zone. I am still not afraid of their running game, so it's my hope that there will be a little man to man mix in the coverages.

It seems that we usually start in deep zone, allowing some passing yards ahead of the coverage, and then we adjust in the second quarter to how we want to do it.

I would go ahead and take a chance at adjusting some coverages, maybe go man weak side and zone on strong, or vice versa?

sbark

Reaction score
This is where we see if Tank and Ratliff can collapse the inside of the pocket..........force Eli into deeper drops for Ware and Ellis to get at em'

would like to see tank rotated with Ratliff and Spears Canty all along the line on passing downs if he can really get the penetration everyone talks bout'.........

if you got a tool in the toolbox........use it........

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
sbark;1749734 said:
This is where we see if Tank and Ratliff can collapse the inside of the pocket..........force Eli into deeper drops for Ware and Ellis to get at em'

would like to see tank rotated with Ratliff and Spears Canty all along the line on passing downs if he can really get the penetration everyone talks bout'.........

if you got a tool in the toolbox........use it........

It doesn't work that way on 3 step drops, usually. Unless the line is a complete screw up (NY's isn't), then it is virtually impossible to get pressure on a 3 step drop, unless the coverage is really good.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
It seemed to me that we were getting some coverage pressure on McNabb once Henry replaced Reeves. I wonder if that was because of us or McNabb folding.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Henry will be able to neutralize Plax on the short stuff, effectively eliminating the purpose of those short drops. They killed us w/ plax running 8 yard curls.

Mansta54

Reaction score
Henry will be on his game this time around with the Giants. I bet he's been waiting for this matchup ever since game 1 and with TNew healty again, we will shut them down.. This game won't be close either.. 41-17 Boyz!!!

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I think this game determines who wins the division.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crown Royal;1749712 said:
I think we will see this again - they will want to neutralize the rush and take advantage of the deep zone. I am still not afraid of their running game, so it's my hope that there will be a little man to man mix in the coverages.

It seems that we usually start in deep zone, allowing some passing yards ahead of the coverage, and then we adjust in the second quarter to how we want to do it.

I would go ahead and take a chance at adjusting some coverages, maybe go man weak side and zone on strong, or vice versa?

Good topic CR.

Let's consider some facts as we know them:
1. If Newman is healthy he can cover any of the Giant receivers one on one. From what I remember it seems the Giants usually have Plax line up on the other side-- away from Newman.
2. Both Henry and Reeves like to play "off" of their man. To me this either screams "zone" or some sort of "man-under" with the safeties playing zone or double cover Plax and have one safety cover the deep zone.
3. Shockey usually eats Roy's lunch so we have to be cognizant of that.

thekavorka

Reaction score
I just don't want to see 10 yard cushions on 3rd and 3 by Henry/Reeves. Quick throws make those cushions pointless.

Deep_South

Reaction score
Eli was darn near perfect in the first game, making one perfect throw after another. We need to shake him up a bit to keep it from happening again.

I would like to see him perform like he did in London.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1749918 said:
we should replicate the gameplan we used against the Eagles on Sunday

Crayton needs to step up. Romo will have to do a lot of three step drops also.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1749897 said:
Good topic CR.

Let's consider some facts as we know them:
1. If Newman is healthy he can cover any of the Giant receivers one on one. From what I remember it seems the Giants usually have Plax line up on the other side-- away from Newman.
2. Both Henry and Reeves like to play "off" of their man. To me this either screams "zone" or some sort of "man-under" with the safeties playing zone or double cover Plax and have one safety cover the deep zone.
3. Shockey usually eats Roy's lunch so we have to be cognizant of that.

thekavorka;1749913 said:
I just don't want to see 10 yard cushions on 3rd and 3 by Henry/Reeves. Quick throws make those cushions pointless.

I read this stuff quite often, and got into an argument with a guy the other day who said that our DBs suck because they won't play up to the man. I'm almost positive that they aren't given a choice - that it's the call from the DC or safety.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crown Royal;1749934 said:
I read this stuff quite often, and got into an argument with a guy the other day who said that our DBs suck because they won't play up to the man. I'm almost positive that they aren't given a choice - that it's the call from the DC or safety.

Oh no question that it isn't the DB's choice but like I said in my post it seems that Henry prefers to play off while Newman is terrific when given the chance to play up on the receiver.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1749939 said:
Oh no question that it isn't the DB's choice but like I said in my post it seems that Henry prefers to play off while Newman is terrific when given the chance to play up on the receiver.

I understand what you mean now - henry prefers those calls. That's fine - I prefer Henry playing off a little bit. He reacts to the ball better than Newman and is an amazing tackler. I'm fine with him giving up a couple of yards, because as big as he is, playing bump isn't his strength.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
FLcowboy;1749931 said:
Crayton needs to step up. Romo will have to do a lot of three step drops also.

for sure, but if we run alot of slants w/ TO from the slot, and go to Witten, who the Giants won't be able to cover, I think it could make up for that

edit: also employ alot of those short passes to Barber in the flats

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1749918 said:
we should replicate the gameplan we used against the Eagles on Sunday

Their offense is entirely different than the eagles.

Manning always seems to make just enough plays to give us a hard time when we play them. Hopefully we will rough the wr up outside, last time we couldnt.

We all know they are going to attack roy, and try and get deep on hamlin out of playaction, so if the front 3 or 4 can get to and stop the running game ware and ellis could take over.

I do like the giants offensive line, and I think they will pound away on sunday and find out what johnson has early. When u are at home and you establish a running game it puts alot of pressure on the road team. I would imagine they are going to try and out physical us early and then take shots off of that emotion.

I hope manning is awful, or brings the type of game he brought to atlanta or miami.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theebs;1749965 said:
Their offense is entirely different than the eagles.

while true, I'm just saying that the Cowboys should give the Giants alot of that nickle/dime look, w/ the 6 DBs and 1 LB, that was huge in bottling up the Eagle O, which although it doesn't score points, it moves the ball pretty well between the 20s

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I am more afraid of the Giants' offense than their defense, to be honest. Yes, I know they rush the passer well, but I think if we can control the TOP and keep it out of the hands of their offense, we should be good.

Zman5

Reaction score
I won't mind if they go with short passes. Let them have drives of 12 plays or more to score a FG. I'm more afraid of them going long to Plax and scoring TDs with 3 pass plays.