3 yard pass?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Insane

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
It's to the point now where you have to wonder about the sanity of Peyton and or BP.

Game on the line 4th and 4 and they run a 3 yard pass play?! Again!!!

The only time they go down field is when the game is on the line, or it's a trick play.

Talent is there to go down field and instead they run conservative running plays time after time after time.

Plain and simple........this team should be 4-0 but idiotic play calling leaves us 2-2.

mrecktid

Reaction score
They ran inside all day with like a 2yd average, I'm sure one run outside could not be much worse.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
This running it inside for nothing is killing this team.....

Critical gaoline run loses 2-3 yards lost game....

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
HowAboutThemCowboys said:
It's to the point now where you have to wonder about the sanity of Peyton and or BP.

Game on the line 4th and 4 and they run a 3 yard pass play?! Again!!!

The only time they go down field is when the game is on the line, or it's a trick play.

Talent is there to go down field and instead they run conservative running plays time after time after time.

Plain and simple........this team should be 4-0 but idiotic play calling leaves us 2-2.
I never understood why when you have to get 4 yards you only throw it three. They did that earlier in the game and missed a first down. They do that alot. It is really an embarrasment. Especially down close to the end zone. You already have a short field and the D doesn't have to defend as much field, so all you do is make it that much shorter. If you are going to place the blame for this loss on someone, it lies squarley with the play calling and that is Payton.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Even more frustraing, Witten also ran a 3 yd route on the other side, but he was uncovered and probably would have walked in.

In the end, the play that killed me was the 3rd down, when we ran the same play as the game winner in SD, but decides to go for the fade instead of turning it in. Not sure why you'd ever go for the fade on that, when Key uses his body on that play it is darn near undefensible.

BlueWave

Reaction score
Actually, if he had caught it, it would have been close to the firts down, which was one yard shorter than the Goal line. Glenn ran the route a little short, but the defender knew exactly what route he was going to run. Bledsoe threw it down and away where he had to throw it, but Glenn didn't hold on. Would he have had the first down? It would have been real close.

ghst187

Reaction score
actually, if we run a play action on 2nd down, we throw for a TD probably with ease. But like I said the last few weeks, our O is SOOOOO predictable...
if we pick up more than 5 running on first, we run on second.
After they stuffed us on 2nd down (just like they had stuffed our running game all day) they knew we had to pass on 3rd and 4th.

PS, here's a clue, you know we run that WR around to fake a reverse on every fifth running play? Since no one has ever fallen for that fake, how about we try to actually hand it to him once?

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
The other thing that bothers me is the trick play they did call.......I thought it was a good time to do it after the big penalty but............. why the heck would you call a play where a guy has to throw against his body, across the field AND to a running back? Especially a guy that doesn't throw the football for a living!

Again.....the playing calling so far this year is just plain depressing.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BlueWave said:
Actually, if he had caught it, it would have been close to the firts down, .

The point is......why even CHANCE it being close, especially with the game on the line?

FWIW, even if he caught it, it wouldn't have been a first down, but that is besides the point.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
HowAboutThemCowboys said:
The other thing that bothers me is the trick play they did call.......I thought it was a good time to do it after the big penalty but............. why the heck would you call a play where a guy has to throw against his body, across the field AND to a running back? Especially a guy that doesn't throw the football for a living!

Again.....the playing calling so far this year is just plain depressing.

Well and HELLLLO Bill, if you wanna run that play, uh how about using Crayton, who was a college QB, as the WR?

Geez, that blew my mind...

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
What I don't get about the 4th down play is that twice now in "game on the line" situations and 4th down, they call a play with the dimunitive TG as the FIRST, PRIMARY option on the play on a route designed and/or run short of the marker.

What's happened to looking at Witten or Key, your two big, physical receivers as your primary, first option in that type situation? Unbelievable for it to happen in the Skins game, then to fail at it and repeat it again in this game is incompetence on the playcaller's part, plain and simple!!

NYCowboy22

Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Well and HELLLLO Bill, if you wanna run that play, uh how about using Crayton, who was a college QB, as the WR?

Geez, that blew my mind...

Another good point. I see Matt Jones throw one every game. If we run that play again lets have Crayton throw it.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NYCowboy22 said:
Another good point. I see Matt Jones throw one every game. If we run that play again lets have Crayton throw it.
I would just simply rather not call that play again. You want to shake the conservative label on offense again? Come up with a better play than that.