30GB Ipod?

royhitshard

Reaction score
Does anybody own the 30GB Ipod? I am conisdering buying one, but wanted to see if anybody had an opinion on it. Any help would be appreciated.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I own the iPod Mini 4gb (not the same, I know) and I've been extremely happy with it. I had planned to buy a regular ipod but I honestly couldn't see ever coming close to having 20gb or more of songs on it.

I mean with my ipod mini, I've got too many songs to listen to and still have over half my space left.

-Reality

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
I also have an IPod mini and have about 1.5 gigs left, I would love the 30 gig (Originally I was targeting the 20 gig) because in my case I store files, movies, etc on the Ipod - basically it's an mp3 player and a jump drive to me. I use it to transfer large files from/to work/home PC, beats having to keep a seperate jump drive or burn them to disc.

If you plan on using the memory I'd go with the 30 gigs, myself - I have 400 songs on the mini and struggled putting that many songs on there (Amazing to think you have this big mp3 collection, yet when it comes time to load up you find you only have so many songs you like). Otherwise you might consider going with a mini or a Nano, besides being cheaper it's smaller and easier to carry.

Just my .02....

royhitshard

Reaction score
Thank you very much! I appreciate the info. I looked at the 4GB nano and I see they are $249.99 and then I saw the 30GB is only $50 more and holds 6,500 more songs. I could not possible imagine finding that many songs, but I thought it might be worth it since it holds so many more songs. I could put every CD I own on the 30GB and still not fill it. Thanks again, I appreciate the info.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Save yourself some money and buy a different brand of mp3 player. The ipod is not even the highest rated. They just market it better. I have a Dell 30gb (Creative makes it) and I paid $200 for it.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Save yourself some money and buy a different brand of mp3 player. The ipod is not even the highest rated. They just market it better. I have a Dell 30gb (Creative makes it) and I paid $200 for it.

Ding ding yep the IPOD is like Vince Young over hyped as what type of great NFL QB he will be

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:

Marketing will only take you so far. There's a reason Apple's dominated the market for years while competition openly admits they're gunning to make their product more like Apple, and I highly doubt it's because they have cool commercials.

Just out of curosity, I've pulled a few comparison ratings from several tech sites (Consumer Reports wanted me to suscribe so I'm not counting them)

CNet - Dell 30gig 7.0 rating IPod 30 Gig 8.3 rating

CNet's 6 best MP3 players of 2005, Apple has 3 of them.

[url="http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1824772,00.asp"]PCMagazine gave Dell 3 1/2 stars
PCMagazine gave IPod 4 1/2 stars and "Editor's Choice"[/url]

ConsumerSearch had IPod rated highest (In all fairness I've never heard of ConsumerSearch, they were top on a google search)

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
GTaylor said:
Marketing will only take you so far. There's a reason Apple's dominated the market for years while competition openly admits they're gunning to make their product more like Apple, and I highly doubt it's because they have cool commercials.

Just out of curosity, I've pulled a few comparison ratings from several tech sites (Consumer Reports wanted me to suscribe so I'm not counting them)

CNet - Dell 30gig 7.0 rating IPod 30 Gig 8.3 rating

CNet's 6 best MP3 players of 2005, Apple has 3 of them.

[url="http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1824772,00.asp"]PCMagazine gave Dell 3 1/2 stars
PCMagazine gave IPod 4 1/2 stars and "Editor's Choice"[/url]

ConsumerSearch had IPod rated highest (In all fairness I've never heard of ConsumerSearch, they were top on a google search)

I didn't say they weren't good just that there are other options.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
I got the 60GB video ipod for Christmas. I was an ipod-skeptic beforehand, but I really love it. I downloaded a program that allows you to rip DVDs to mp4 format, so I've been ripping like crazy. I have tons of movies on there now, including all three extended Lord of the Rings movies and Season 1 of Arrested Development and I still have over 30GB left!

The video is surprisingly good on there. On some of the videos I've ripped there's a little stuttering, but it's still very watchable. I've also bought a couple of videos off of itunes and those are flawless.

I think the interaction with itunes leaves a lot to be desired... it's hard to edit and manage your content once its on your ipod, and I wish you could take something that was on your ipod and put it back on your computer, but thus far I havent' been able to do that.

But other than that, I have no complaints... I just wish I was travelling a long enough distance where I could finally get a chance to watch some of the stuff I have on there!