33-10, thoughts on the big win

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
what an awesome win...as I posted at halftime, never in my wildest dreams did I think that 1) we'd win today and 2) especially win the way we did...as I posted in another thread, time for me to eat some crow about alot of things (for this week anyway)

1) I loved the game plans today...finally we attacked on both sides of the ball for a majorty of the game...other than one or two plays, both coordinators made great calls all day...Payton really called an awesome game

2) I wasnt really for signing Drew Bledsoe back early in the yr, but the guy has been the best free agent signing we made, not only this yr but maybe in a long time...finally we have a QB again, one who if given time can be a bigtime threat...its only week 5, but Bledsoe not only deserves come back player of the year props, but serious MVP consideration as well. It might not last for 16 games, but he's playing as well as any QB in football right now. If probowl rosters were picked today, he'd have to be in it

3) OL play was total 180 from last week...run blocking could still improve, but more lanes will open up eventually if the teams stays aggressive in its playcalling and throws downfield on early downs...

4) havent heard any updates on Julius Jones, but hopefully he'll be ok for next week..we need him

5) great special teams play today in all facets, maybe the best special teams game we've had since Parcells arrived...

6) other than one or two plays, we suffocated the Eagles passing game...Terrance Newman and Roy Williams both had great games

7) excellent front 7 play on defense...Bradie James might have had is best game as a pro today...was active in pass coverage as well as vs the run (the few times they tried to run anyway)...DeMarcus Ware is gonna be a special player

8) Terry Glenn, what can anyone say but what a tremendous pickup this guy was...amazing how this guy was a total afterthought in New England and Green Bay..lets hope we can keep him healthy for 16 games..same thing for Jason Witten....they seemed to really get him more involved today...

9) anyone else notice how fired up Larry Allen was late in the game when we just kept slamming the ball down Philly's throats? looked like he was really enjoying himself today

10) as I posted a couple other times tonight, I will be very interested in seeing how we follow up todays showing in next weeks game...was this a fluke or was it a game where a team really comes together? I really thought after the way we won in San Diego that the team would build on it and get some momentum going, but they didnt. Hopefully that wont be the case after this win. The Giants have alot of holes on defense and really havent beaten a quality team yet, but they represent a big challenge IMO...if we win in sold fashion next week, I might be convinced we're turning the corner

David :starspin

gbrittain

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
what an awesome win...as I posted at halftime, never in my wildest dreams did I think that 1) we'd win today and 2) especially win the way we did...as I posted in another thread, time for me to eat some crow about alot of things (for this week anyway)

1) I loved the game plans today...finally we attacked on both sides of the ball for a majorty of the game...other than one or two plays, both coordinators made great calls all day...Payton really called an awesome game

2) I wasnt really for signing Drew Bledsoe back early in the yr, but the guy has been the best free agent signing we made, not only this yr but maybe in a long time...finally we have a QB again, one who if given time can be a bigtime threat...its only week 5, but Bledsoe not only deserves come back player of the year props, but serious MVP consideration as well. It might not last for 16 games, but he's playing as well as any QB in football right now. If probowl rosters were picked today, he'd have to be in it

3) OL play was total 180 from last week...run blocking could still improve, but more lanes will open up eventually if the teams stays aggressive in its playcalling and throws downfield on early downs...

4) havent heard any updates on Julius Jones, but hopefully he'll be ok for next week..we need him

5) great special teams play today in all facets, maybe the best special teams game we've had since Parcells arrived...

6) other than one or two plays, we suffocated the Eagles passing game...Terrance Newman and Roy Williams both had great games

7) excellent front 7 play on defense...Bradie James might have had is best game as a pro today...was active in pass coverage as well as vs the run (the few times they tried to run anyway)...DeMarcus Ware is gonna be a special player

8) Terry Glenn, what can anyone say but what a tremendous pickup this guy was...amazing how this guy was a total afterthought in New England and Green Bay..lets hope we can keep him healthy for 16 games..same thing for Jason Witten....they seemed to really get him more involved today...

9) anyone else notice how fired up Larry Allen was late in the game when we just kept slamming the ball down Philly's throats? looked like he was really enjoying himself today

10) as I posted a couple other times tonight, I will be very interested in seeing how we follow up todays showing in next weeks game...was this a fluke or was it a game where a team really comes together? I really thought after the way we won in San Diego that the team would build on it and get some momentum going, but they didnt. Hopefully that wont be the case after this win. The Giants have alot of holes on defense and really havent beaten a quality team yet, but they represent a big challenge IMO...if we win in sold fashion next week, I might be convinced we're turning the corner

BUMP

Quality post that can not fall off the front page so soon

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now if we can only build on this win. May be the biggest challenge for BP now.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:

totally agree...if we flop next week then it really minimizes what today means

win next week, and we might be heading down the right road

David

Kilyin

Reaction score
I admit I made some derogatory comments about Purcells and Zimmer after the Oakland game. I still feel like we should have won that game. I want to see the team that played the Eagles every weekend from now on. Like Purcells said, "When you play like those guys played, you can beat anyone."

Another thing to emphasize, we didn't beat a totally hobbled Mcnabb. We beat the same Mcnabb that came back and beat Kansas City. He still made some plays with his legs, it just wasn't enough tonight.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:

Exactly. Lets see signs of this next week. Then a little more the following week. This could be a huge step, not the baby step a rebuilding team should take. It could be an aboration. A glimpse of the future to come.

I will take it either way. We played great in all three facets of the game. I was thoroughly impressed in the coaches, the players, the crowd, (and my Astros). In all, a great weekend. We win, Philly and skins lose.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:

This is key in my opinion. I think we have a team that wants to apply pressure on both sides of the ball. Today we did and it was the best results I have seen from this team in years. In the 2nd half with a big lead I felt Parcells wanted to get conservative again. I think he needs to fight that urge. The Giants are much improved. They won't roll over and play dead. However, they can be attacked in this same way. I think that is the key to victory.