38 passes...

jesusphreak

Reaction score
People keep saying over and over that this is a conservative team, but we passed nearly 40 times tonight. We passed over 30 times last week.

I don't know why people say we are conservative. It is almost like some people want to pass every single down.

Oh, and on 3rd and 20, don't complain when we run a draw. That isn't a bad or 'conservative' playcall, it is a smart one. The solution to that is to not get yourself into such a big hole. Better not to throw into 6-man converage and get intercepted (like last week).

roughneck266

Reaction score
I think part of it is WHEN they pass. I believe someone here stated a stat that had us running on second down almost all the time. Could be wrong though, have been once before..

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
it is not the amount of throws, but the type of throws. i thought our passing game was wayyy too conservative we needed to go downfield more. both times we did it worked perfectly. 1 was the pass INT and the other was the TD. with the weapons we have we should not be dinking and dunking down the field.

bobtheflob

Reaction score
Used to be if we threw an incomplete pass on 1st, we would always run on 2nd. We switched things up just a bit this week.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
...Springs was out for the game the odds were in our favour to pass a bit more than usual.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Future 585 said:
it is not the amount of throws, but the type of throws. i thought our passing game was wayyy too conservative we needed to go downfield more. both times we did it worked perfectly. 1 was the pass INT and the other was the TD. with the weapons we have we should not be dinking and dunking down the field.

when you have the weapons to throw deep, but you aren't alot, that usually means the other team has taken that option away by playing some version of a zone, forcing you to dink and dunk, I'm glad we showed we could unlike when quincy was our QB

wileedog

Reaction score
Future 585 said:

I think you are ignoring all the times when a pass is called for downfield and its covered.

Look at the the play calls the past two weeks. We are a pass first team.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
when you have the weapons to throw deep, but you aren't alot, that usually means the other team has taken that option away by playing some version of a zone, forcing you to dink and dunk, I'm glad we showed we could unlike when quincy was our QB

i thought we struggled dink and dunk. Glenn and one of our RBs got lit up. those are the plays that maybe can work but they can lead to a lot of dangerous things

marchetta

Reaction score
Contrary to popular belief, BP likes to through the ball. But when he doesn't trust the O-line to protect Drew, he becomes overly conservative. After the first few series, he knew Flo was back, and that we could attiquately protect Drew, so he opened up the passing game. If the O-line continues to play this well, we'll be throwing deep every week. It's gonna look like Air-Corriel up in here!

jesusphreak

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:

Exactly...teams are gonna cover Glenn and TO as best they can, leaving open the running backs and tight-ends.

You'll notice quite a few times where Drew revs up to go deep and doesn't see any openings in coverage, so he dumps it off.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Future 585 said:
i thought we struggled dink and dunk. Glenn and one of our RBs got lit up. those are the plays that maybe can work but they can lead to a lot of dangerous things

throwing deep against a zone can lead to alot of dangerous things too

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
We weren't conservative in week 1, either, passing 60 percent of the time.